Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Trump vs. Buffet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What does publics service really mean?  Sometimes when i see public officials and politicians talking about PUBLIC SERVICE it rings hollow.  It's not always a bad thing, but i know that more often than not a senator, governor etc. is realizing their own career ambitions vs. really sacraficing for their constituents.  In reality, there are only a few people for whom assuming an office like the presidency would be a SACRAFICE. 

People also make a big deal about TAXES and a willingness to give someone's money away to the government as a public service.  don't get me wrong, paying the TAXES that you OWE is a big part of it, but in some cases there, might be a skill set that can offer more than just money.  Take Trump for instance.  The aggregate Trade deficit for the next decade could be estimated at roughly 5- 8 trilion dollars.  If Trump is able to mittigate that by say, 25% using his skill and experience then that would add 1.25 to 2 trillion dollars (an extra 1% a year of GDP growth) to the economy.  That is far more money than Trump will ever have personally. 

Buffet gets a lot of credit from people for advocating we raise his personal taxes by a few basis points, but how would that compare to him actually managing a social security investment option as well as he has managed Berkshire hathaway? 

For a lot of people advancing their political career is an end to itself that can be nobel or less than nobel based on the person.  I applaud those who take a step away from their own personal success and actually have something to offer to the community at large, and point out that in some cases lending a persons time and skills can be a lot more beneficial than just paying a million dollars more in taxes.

Donald lied and stole from hard working Americans. Over and over and over again in the name of "good business". His interests don't concern you, in that you are meaningless to him.
JJ, you're a bit all over the place with this one, but I'll try to offer a counterpoint.

Warren Buffett is not just generous with his money (upon his death, most of his wealth will be transferred into a charitable trust, similar to what Andrew Carnegie did), but he also offers up his time to college students, free of charge, several times a year.  He actually released his tax returns this year when Donald attempted to call him out.

Now, if you're arguing that Donald should get a free ride because he will save us trillions if elected through better trade practices, as your second paragraph suggests, I really don't know what to say.  That's a 17th century monarchy argument, and I can't believe anyone's making it in this nation in this century.

There is no nobility in Donald's candidacy.  He will use this run to line his own pockets if he loses and his friends' pockets if he wins.  He is not interested in anyone but Donald, and where your interests cross his will be the your sole personal benefit.

Donald doesn't DO sacrifice.  He has neither public nor military service on his record, is completely uncharitable, and discards obligations and responsibilities as it suits him at any given time.  He is the king of cost/benefit as it pertains to his decisions and loyalties.

In short, he's no damn hero.  And Warren Buffett is.

Donald looks to be in good shape, I don't think he struggles with his eating habits.
Quote:JJ, you're a bit all over the place with this one, but I'll try to offer a counterpoint.

Warren Buffett is not just generous with his money (upon his death, most of his wealth will be transferred into a charitable trust, similar to what Andrew Carnegie did), but he also offers up his time to college students, free of charge, several times a year.  He actually released his tax returns this year when Donald attempted to call him out

In short, he's no damn hero.  And Warren Buffett is.

you're still missing it. 

Warren Buffet is an asset manager.  The nation as a whole is facing fiscal insolvency because Social Security and other entitlement programs are headed for bankruptcy within the next two decades.  Spending time with College Kids is great, I applaud him for that, at the same time those college kids are facing 75 trillion dollars in unfunded liabilities for the rest of their working lives.  His skill set means that he could solve those problems.  His best means of serving society would be using his skills to solve a big problem.  Just giving away a few billion dollars is a drop in the bucket. 

I am not saying that Trump is a saint.  That's not how conservatives think.  What I am saying is that when he steps forward and says I want to work on solving big problems and strengthening the nation then that is working to his best end for the good of the country. 

Also, this whole thing about "he's just going to use this run to line his own pockets"  So far he has spent about 64 million dollars on his own campaign.  He has been dragged through the mud as a sex predator vulgar jerk.  Before this whole thing He had one of the strongest most positive brands in the world.  This isn't a financial step up for him!  For a couple from little rock Arkansas, grifting a few million dollars of Haitian relief money or creating a fraudulent foundation IS how they make their money.  Bill and Hillary weren't going to suddenly invent some cancer drug to make their fortune.  And that's how MOST politicians monetize public service.  In Trump's case he could already build just about anywhere he wanted to and has partnered with governments all over the world and all over the political and ideological spectrum to that end.  The idea that he needs a run through the mud as president to make a few extra bucks is asinine to the point of being ridiculous. 

As for Buffet being a Hero, being on the right side of Credit Default Swaps and acting as a personal piggy bank for the treasury with inside knowledge of companies that were going to be bailed out during the crisis doesn't make you a HERO. 
Donald Trump gave all of us the opportunity to invest in his brains, acumen and experience back in 1995.  Had you invested 25 grand in TRMP, you'd have been given $2500 in 2005.

Warren Buffett gave all of us the opportunity to invest in HIS brains, acumen, and experience back in the 1960s.  Had you invested 25 grand in BRK.A instead of TRMP in 1995, you would have had 90 grand in 2005 as Trump was declaring bankruptcy.  That same investment is now trading at $220,000.

Buffett is a hero because he brought many of us along with him through his publicly traded stock, and just keeps on delivering.  If you want a piece of his leadership, it's readily available.  He's also a level-headed, brilliant man with ideas that could fix the economy, but he knows that it would never get through Congress - he's said as much.

As for the Clinton paragraph, I really don't believe that the Clintons are skimming from their foundation.  I don't know that much about it, except to say that the Clinton Global Initiative seems to be better regarded internationally than the American Red Cross.  I've heard enough garbage about members of both parties, that I always view unverified claims with a healthy dose of skepticism.

So between Buffett and Trump, I choose Buffett.  Come to think of it, maybe I should buy some of his stock...

I had the fortune of meeting Mr. Buffet a few years back. He's just a chill dude and super friendly.
Quote:Donald Trump gave all of us the opportunity to invest in his brains, acumen and experience back in 1995.  Had you invested 25 grand in TRMP, you'd have been given $2500 in 2005.

Warren Buffett gave all of us the opportunity to invest in HIS brains, acumen, and experience back in the 1960s.  Had you invested 25 grand in BRK.A instead of TRMP in 1995, you would have had 90 grand in 2005 as Trump was declaring bankruptcy.  That same investment is now trading at $220,000.

Comparing one or two business entities out of what is currently a business conglomerate with over 500 legal entities is either a.) intellectually dishonest, or b.) a symptom of financial illiteracy. 

Buffett is a hero because he brought many of us along with him through his publicly traded stock, and just keeps on delivering.  If you want a piece of his leadership, it's readily available.  He's also a level-headed, brilliant man with ideas that could fix the economy, but he knows that it would never get through Congress - he's said as much.

Ahhhhhhh not so much.  In reality, this is someone who trafficked in Credit Default Swaps (nuclear weapons of finance his words.)  He wasn't at the treasury department sounding the alarm bell holding signs in the streets to try and avoid calamity.  He was on the right side of the risk table while allowing the economy to collapse.  He is now supporting the third term of the administration that allowed for the mergers and underwriting that created the financial swamp that almost ended the market economy as we understand it. 

​There's also a question of how ethical it is to make money on things you already know the answer to.  He lies to the public about being an ubber lefty advocating against the keystone xl pipeline and then when he's assured of its defeat he bets heavily on train companies that move fossil fuels.  He's another crony leftist who profits immensely pushing paper based on his unique ability to lobby federal policy based on his relationships to establishment insiders. 

As for the Clinton paragraph, I really don't believe that the Clintons are skimming from their foundation.  I don't know that much about it, except to say that the Clinton Global Initiative seems to be better regarded internationally than the American Red Cross.  I've heard enough garbage about members of both parties, that I always view unverified claims with a healthy dose of skepticism.

I got that.  Look up Doug Band and tell me.  The CLINTON FOUNDATION found in their own internal review that they were frought with conflicts of interest.  It got so bad that Chelsea Clinton started asking questions.  It's basically the third Godfather movie. 

So between Buffett and Trump, I choose Buffett.  Come to think of it, maybe I should buy some of his stock...

Go ahead.  You still haven't answered the basic question of why he hasn't put his name on a ballot or taken a post with treasury to rework the social security system if he is such a philanthropist.  That is where his skill set is most needed, that is where it could have the most impact, but he's content to sit on the sidelines and make billions eavesdropping on the executive branch!