Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Brandon Allen?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
He vanished after preseason in 2016?  Is he still with the team and anyone heard anything about him?  He maybe the jags best backup option.

Quote:He vanished after preseason in 2016?  Is he still with the team and anyone heard anything about him?  He maybe the jags best backup option.

Maybe they intend on making Marqise Lee play QB?
He's still on the roster. Jags only ever activated 2 qbs on game day.
He'll always be a guy fighting for a roster spot. Nothing more. 

He's gonna show out in preseason
If Bortles crashes and burns this year, I'm all for skipping over Henne and letting him play. Why not? He's sat on the bench for a year (something I wish Bortles had done).  Let's see what we've got.

I wonder if he gets a legitimate chance to compete for the backup spot?
He's gonna show out in preseason
Quote:He's gonna show out in preseason

I hope you're right.
If he can't beat out Henne to be the backup, he's nothing to pin your hopes on.

Quote:If he can't beat out Henne to be the backup, he's nothing to pin your hopes on.

He couldn't beat out Henne last year because he was a rookie.  Maybe he's improved since then.
He drafted him to eventually replace Henne as the backup, and thought highly enough of him to use a roster spot on him all season. A full year to just learn without the pressure of having to start and save the franchise is enormous for the development of a QB.

Plus even last preseason, Allen seemed like a big of a gunslinger. Full of confidence and taking chances. That can often be easier to corral than to open a QB who is a bit gunshy. 

You can argue that the front office and coaching staff has so far been poor at judging or developing QB talent, but he would probably be the Jags' best chance if Bortles flames out. Unless Caldwell takes it on the chin and invites Cutler to camp.

Quote:He drafted him to eventually replace Henne as the backup, and thought highly enough of him to use a roster spot on him all season. A full year to just learn without the pressure of having to start and save the franchise is enormous for the development of a QB.

Plus even last preseason, Allen seemed like a big of a gunslinger. Full of confidence and taking chances. That can often be easier to corral than to open a QB who is a bit gunshy. 

You can argue that the front office and coaching staff has so far been poor at judging or developing QB talent, but he would probably be the Jags' best chance if Bortles flames out. Unless Caldwell takes it on the chin and invites Cutler to camp.
Please, no.  No Cutler.

So many seem to think Bortles is terrible.  He did play badly for most of last year.  But I'll take his bad over the prospects in FA.  Hopefully, an offseason of working on his mechanics and a better coaching staff will help him this year to get back on track.
Quote:Please, no.  No Cutler.

So many seem to think Bortles is terrible.  He did play badly for most of last year.  But I'll take his bad over the prospects in FA.  Hopefully, an offseason of working on his mechanics and a better coaching staff will help him this year to get back on track.

I don't personally want Cutler either. I was just saying of the free agents left, he may have the highest ceiling.

I would take the unknown of Brandon Allen over any of them (Kapernick, Cutler, Fitzpatrick, C. Daniel, RGIII, Shaun Hill, Case Keenum, Gabbert, Ponder, Austin Davis, Ryan Nassib, Dan Orlovsky, Luke McCown, Thaddeus Lewis)
Heard guys on 1010XL last week (I think it was Frank) saying he had heard that team was really impressed with where he was late in season. Certainly didn't translate into being on active roster on game day.

Hope he gets a ton of time in pre-season. 

I want Allen to be Qb2 and I want Henne gone. Hes a good guy, but a terrible QB. Let Allen get the reps with the 2s all camp and if Blake is a hot mess again see what you have with Allen, and then go draft your new shiny QB out of USC Smile

Quote:I want Allen to be Qb2 and I want Henne gone. Hes a good guy, but a terrible QB. Let Allen get the reps with the 2s all camp and if Blake is a hot mess again see what you have with Allen, and then go draft your new shiny QB out of USC Smile

I agree. Except I'd make Henne #3.
There's a bunch of QBs I like in next years draft. Darnold, Rosen, Browning, Allen, Rudolph, even Lamar Jackson would be an upgrade.
Quote:He'll always be a guy fighting for a roster spot. Nothing more. 

I'm not so sure about this. When you watch Brandon throw it's easy to be impressed. He's got one heck of an arm.... much better, for instance, than the Texans qb Deshaun Watson. Moreover, the Jaguars intentionally not getting a qb in this draft or even in undrafted free agency suggests they really do like Brandon Allen afterall. I only hope he gets a legitimate chance to beat out Chenne in camp for the backup spot.

Quote:He couldn't beat out Henne last year because he was a rookie.  Maybe he's improved since then.

This isn't even true because he never was given a chance to beat out Henne as a rookie. He performed great in the Preseason as a rookie, but that didn't matter because Henne had already been handed the backup role. This year, however, should be different since Allen has now been here a while. There's no reason he shouldn't get that chance to prove he's better than Henne, and I'm convinced he is.

Pages: 1 2 3 4