Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Amazon Echo
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone try these gadgets? Was thinking of getting one, but sure I'd get enough use out of it. Mainly because I haven't researched enough, but thought if anyone here knows about and uses one, I can get more straight up answers.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
I have one. I use it.

They add new skills to it all the time.
Quote:I have one. I use it.

They add new skills to it all the time.

Ok. Thanks. Do you recommend a particular one?
I have one and use it to control some of the lights in my home.  If you have some other gadgets that it works with its pretty fun.  You can also order pizzas and do other things, but I mainly use it for home automation.

Quote:Ok. Thanks. Do you recommend a particular one?

I got the echo, but now I'd get the dot and wire it into my home surround sound.

The echo by itself is loud enough to play music in your living room, but the sound quality is akin to your average Bluetooth portable speaker.
I got one when they first came out. I like it. I don't have any of the home automation hooked up yet so I basically use it for a timer right now.

Maybe it's just me but it seems like she gets an attitude sometimes. Women...
Quote:I got one when they first came out. I like it. I don't have any of the home automation hooked up yet so I basically use it for a timer right now.

Maybe it's just me but it seems like she gets an attitude sometimes. Women...

Is it monthly?

I'm really intrigued by this gadget. Just not sure how often I'd use it.

That it constantly upgrades is a selling point.

There 3 different ones, so I have to research which one would suffice
Not monthly. I think we paid 100 bucks for it. Just connect to your wifi and Amazon account through the app.

It's got loads of potential with new training coming out all the time. If you got the money it's worth it.
Quote:Is it monthly?

I'm really intrigued by this gadget. Just not sure how often I'd use it.

That it constantly upgrades is a selling point.

There 3 different ones, so I have to research which one would suffice

I have mine controlling my lights, some locks, the thermostat, the lawn sprinklers, the garage door, the dishwasher and my living room blinds.

It also plays Spotify, does my banking, handles Amazon re-orders, plays my podcasts, gives weather updates, is my oven timer, integrates with my google calendar and shopping lists, and once in a while handles my kids homework.

It's cool to have around anyway, but if you're interested in multiple home automation features it's really nice to have voice control. That's mainly what I bought it for and use it for. Most of the other stuff is more of a novelty.

Btw, Google has some competition out now as well.
Quote:I have mine controlling my lights, some locks, the thermostat, the lawn sprinklers, the garage door, the dishwasher and my living room blinds.

It also plays Spotify, does my banking, handles Amazon re-orders, plays my podcasts, gives weather updates, is my oven timer, integrates with my google calendar and shopping lists, and once in a while handles my kids homework.

It's cool to have around anyway, but if you're interested in multiple home automation features it's really nice to have voice control. That's mainly what I bought it for and use it for. Most of the other stuff is more of a novelty.

Btw, Google has some competition out now as well.

I see where Google has entered the fray. Now I'm more confused. Wait? Let Google get bugs out? But I kinda want this sooner than later.

Using this to turn on appliances etc, where can I get the hook ups? I think Lowes has some. Any info on costs..let's say to turn lights on.

Thanks
Interesting device.  The possibilities are endless for someone like me (electronics/computer nerd).  I may get one just to hack it and see how it works.

Quote:I see where Google has entered the fray. Now I'm more confused. Wait? Let Google get bugs out? But I kinda want this sooner than later.

Using this to turn on appliances etc, where can I get the hook ups? I think Lowes has some. Any info on costs..let's say to turn lights on.

Thanks

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://smarthome.reviewed.com/features/everything-that-works-with-amazon-echo-alexa'>http://smarthome.reviewed.com/features/everything-that-works-with-amazon-echo-alexa</a>
Yo Ringo.

You can pick up a refurbished Echo for $120 this week.