Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Early Reviews on Dareus are Positive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
http://jacksonville.com/sports/jaguars/2...dt-marcell

I absolutely love this quote...

Quote:Rookie defensive end Dawuane Smoot said it wasn’t hard to spot Dareus on his first day of work during Monday’s practice.

I saw him pick up a dude and just throw him,” Smoot said. “He’s that strong and he’s definitely going to help our interior. I feel like we’ve put a lot of emphasis on getting better on the line and trying to become a more balanced defense.”

Emphasis added.
I wonder who the "dude" was. Good to hear his presence is being felt.
The Bills are 0-1 without Dareus

.... very good quotes within that article
(11-03-2017, 02:27 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]The Bills are 0-1 without Dareus

I was watching that Bills-Jets game last night and the Bills defense seemed to get thrashed in the run game. I don't know how good they were before but I was wondering if that was a coincidence last night being their first game without Dareus?
All we need him to do is stop the run. We have great pass rushers around him. I have very high hopes for him. It's nice to see he's fitting in well.
(11-03-2017, 03:18 PM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2017, 02:27 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]The Bills are 0-1 without Dareus

I was watching that Bills-Jets game last night and the Bills defense seemed to get thrashed in the run game. I don't know how good they were before but I was wondering if that was a coincidence last night being their first game without Dareus?

They were averaging around 80 yds per game vs the run (3rd in the league I think) and gave up 160+ to the jets. 

Ouch.
(11-03-2017, 03:21 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]All we need him to do is stop the run. We have great pass rushers around him. I have very high hopes for him. It's nice to see he's fitting in well.

We just need him to blow up the Center/Guard and tackle whoever has the ball after that, regardless if its a RB or a QB.
Shhhhh. Don't tell billsfan847377383 that we got value from the trade
(11-03-2017, 03:29 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2017, 03:18 PM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]I was watching that Bills-Jets game last night and the Bills defense seemed to get thrashed in the run game. I don't know how good they were before but I was wondering if that was a coincidence last night being their first game without Dareus?

They were averaging around 80 yds per game vs the run (3rd in the league I think) and gave up 160+ to the jets. 

Ouch.

So maybe it is a fair assumption that his absence last night really made an impact.
I just want to see the Bungles O-line get mauled at Jags be in their backfield all day Sunday.
(11-03-2017, 02:14 PM)Go Jagwaas Derp Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder who the "dude" was.  Good to hear his presence is being felt.

Cann wound up on the injury report after Thursday’s practice with a strained bicep. I’m betting it was him.
*Marrone said defensive tackle Marcell Dareus had “a good week of practice” after being acquired in a trade with the Buffalo Bills last Friday. “We’re excited,” Marrone said. “He’ll be in there. He’ll play.” …

- Jaguars.com ^
(11-03-2017, 05:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]*Marrone said defensive tackle Marcell Dareus had “a good week of practice” after being acquired in a trade with the Buffalo Bills last Friday. “We’re excited,” Marrone said. “He’ll be in there. He’ll play.” …

- Jaguars.com ^

(11-03-2017, 05:45 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]*Marrone said defensive tackle Marcell Dareus had “a good week of practice” after being acquired in a trade with the Buffalo Bills last Friday. “We’re excited,” Marrone said. “He’ll be in there. He’ll play.” …

- Jaguars.com ^

I'm so stoked about this!

We legitimately have five guys capable of beating single blocking, and at least two that may require double teams.

If he provides stoutness disruptive play against the run, at minimum, we'll be in more favorable down and distance situations defensively.  As a result, we should get more sacks and more turnovers.

If he provides improved pass rush inside, the effect would be improved.

Dareus playing up to capability gives us a deeper rotation, which should enable the players to be fresher, and more effective when they do play.  I think NYCJags pointed out it could help Jackson get healthy because he would have fewer reps.

If Dareus plays up to capability, it'll cause opposing coordinators to have to adjust blocking schemes even further.  Either players will be kept in to block, or teams will run shorter patterns with shorter pass drops, which helps us.  How would their approaches differ with a DL of Ngakoue, Dareus, Jackson and Campbell vs a DL of Ngakoue, Dareus, Campbell, and Fowler vs. Fowler, Dareus, Jackson, and Campbell, etc.  The possibilities boggle the mind.

[Image: herman-cain-smile.gif]
(11-03-2017, 06:05 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]

- Jaguars.com ^

I'm so stoked about this!

We legitimately have five guys capable of beating single blocking, and at least two that may require double teams.

If he provides stoutness disruptive play against the run, at minimum, we'll be in more favorable down and distance situations defensively.  As a result, we should get more sacks and more turnovers.

Dareus playing up to capability gives us a deeper rotation, which should enable the players to be fresher, and more effective when they do play.  I think NYCJags pointed out it could help Jackson get healthy because he would have fewer reps.

If Dareus plays up to capability, it'll cause opposing coordinators to have to adjust blocking schemes even further.  Either players will be kept in to block, or teams will run shorter patterns with shorter pass drops, which helps us.  How would their approaches differ with a DL of Ngakoue, Dareus, Jackson and Campbell vs a DL of Ngakoue, Dareus, Campbell, and Fowler vs. Fowler, Dareus, Jackson, and Campbell, etc.  The possibilities boggle the mind.

Haha. 

Considering the various combinations along that line will definitely get one all:

[Image: Agent-Smith-Evil-Laugh.gif]

There's a lot of ways to go with a "heavy" package now too. 
Imagine:  
Smoot - Jones - Dareus - Campbell

But that combo with Ngakoue at weak-end, Cambell at big-end and Jackson/Dareus in the middle? 
That's scary no matter what the down, distance and field position.
(11-03-2017, 06:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2017, 06:05 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]I'm so stoked about this!

Haha. 

Considering the various combinations along that line will definitely get one all:

[Image: Agent-Smith-Evil-Laugh.gif]

There's a lot of ways to go with a "heavy" package now too. 
Imagine:  
Smoot - Jones - Dareus - Campbell

But that combo with Ngakoue at weak-end, Cambell at big-end and Jackson/Dareus in the middle? 
That's scary no matter what the down, distance and field position.

That line to close out your posts gives us size and physicality against the run and pass rush ability too.  That seems like the ideal first down defensive line. 

But if you wanted to completely rotate the DL to keep them fresh, a long yardage DL of Fowler, Day, Jones and Smoot isn't bad.

BTW, listening to the Doug Marrone show, Dareus is currently at 338.
Lageman sort of confirms the "throwing" power on last night's Doug Marrone Show.

http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vid...6967096ec9

The Dareus discussion starts at the 31 minute mark.
I wonder if we could employ some bear front with Campbell - Abry - Dareus?

This defense truly has the ability to be multiple
Normally at this time of year, I’d be getting ready for Terps basketball.

Instead, I’m getting amped up for our Defense every single day! They got talent, swagger, young guys and old guys. They love playing with each other and for each other. The DLine thanks the secondary and vice versa.

Not to mention we get to watch Fournette! I. Can’t. Handle. This.
(11-03-2017, 06:56 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Normally at this time of year, I’d be getting ready for Terps basketball.

Instead, I’m getting amped up for our Defense every single day! They got talent, swagger, young guys and old guys. They love playing with each other and for each other. The DLine thanks the secondary and vice versa.

Not to mention we get to watch Fournette! I. Can’t. Handle. This.

For years, especially in the earlier days of the team, I wondered if this fan base could ever truly love/appreciate a defensive oriented, run first team.

I think the JDR team helped, but I think fans were more apt to turn on the team because it wasn't the most exciting offensively.

Now I don't know if it would be because the team hasn't won in such a long time, or the style of defense this team has displayed, with the apparently dominant pass rush and turnovers produced, but it would seem if this team wins, fans will love this team as much as almost any offense first team.
Pages: 1 2 3