Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Homefield advantage?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I want to preface this by stating that I have never lived in Jacksonville or even BEEN to Jacksonville. So I've never been to a home game, several away games though. I was raised in Mississippi and Ohio, fell in love with their logo as a kid and the rest is history. Still a diehard.

My question is to all of you as Jacksonville natives and those that go to the home games. After watching the Jaguars for almost 22 years now...our homefield never seems to be an advantage...in the sense of crowd noise. Now I realize it's because we haven't been great or had something to cheer about but can't the same thing be said about like the Chiefs for example? They were awful for so many years but it was always hard to play at Arrowhead because of how loud it got due to the fans cheering, etc. I know there are other teams as well. Now I realize Arrowhead Stadium is built so that crowd noise makes it even louder, but you get my point. Even as we have been playing better, I watch some of the home games and there doesn't seem to be much home support and crowd noise...

Please note, I'm not bashing any of you as homefield fans and I know a lot of you are cheering your heart out. I'm sure it is loud in some moments but when I'm watching from my TV, a lot of times it just never is even if we have a big lead. I just wish we could use the stadium to our support when our team is on defense and creating noise which would make it tougher for opponents. Will that never happen? If so, why not? I realize Jacksonville is a small market, etc. but I just hope for this some day.

Thanks for your thoughts! I can't wait to come to Jacksonville some day.
I would bet the Chiefs have a better home record than the Jags. Plus they have been around much longer. I’ve been to many home games, if the Jags are still in the game in the 4 quarter the crowd will be into it. I don’t know of any fan bases being loud when the home team is getting blown out or down 10 points and we know the offense can’t muster a come back.
Jags really don't have a home field advantage. They have played worse at home as of late as well. The team hasn't been competitive for years now so it's easy to understand why fans have kinda given up. Winning solves all of this. It is however embarrassing to hear the stadium roar when the opponents score a td.
Back in 2007 I was a season ticket holder and I remember that we lost the opening home game to the Titans, but the rest of the year we beat everybody else we played at home
(11-04-2017, 10:00 PM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]I want to preface this by stating that I have never lived in Jacksonville or even BEEN to Jacksonville. So I've never been to a home game, several away games though. I was raised in Mississippi and Ohio, fell in love with their logo as a kid and the rest is history. Still a diehard.

My question is to all of you as Jacksonville natives and those that go to the home games. After watching the Jaguars for almost 22 years now...our homefield never seems to be an advantage...in the sense of crowd noise. Now I realize it's because we haven't been great or had something to cheer about but can't the same thing be said about like the Chiefs for example? They were awful for so many years but it was always hard to play at Arrowhead because of how loud it got due to the fans cheering, etc. I know there are other teams as well. Now I realize Arrowhead Stadium is built so that crowd noise makes it even louder, but you get my point. Even as we have been playing better, I watch some of the home games and there doesn't seem to be much home support and crowd noise...

Please note, I'm not bashing any of you as homefield fans and I know a lot of you are cheering your heart out. I'm sure it is loud in some moments but when I'm watching from my TV, a lot of times it just never is even if we have a big lead. I just wish we could use the stadium to our support when our team is on defense and creating noise which would make it tougher for opponents. Will that never happen? If so, why not? I realize Jacksonville is a small market, etc. but I just hope for this some day.

I am an original season ticket holder and been to every home game (with the exception of a couple of pre-season games) over the years.  There have been years where it's been a wild and crazy atmosphere and some particular games really standout.  I remember a night game in 2007 against Indy were the stadium was packed and downright rocking.  The atmosphere at the playoff games in '99 (at least at the beginning of those games) was insane.  

The last few years it has let up but even then there have been moments.  The Miami game a couple years ago was a pretty good atmosphere.  Even the opener against Green Bay last year was decent. But years of losing will impact any team's home crowd so it's not now like it was even during Bradley's initial year or so.  Part of it is that actual game day attendance has declined, part of it has to do with the overall excitement in the stadium.  I sense that home field advantage will come back in a hurry when the Jags prove they're genuine contenders again.
(11-04-2017, 10:00 PM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]I want to preface this by stating that I have never lived in Jacksonville or even BEEN to Jacksonville. So I've never been to a home game, several away games though. I was raised in Mississippi and Ohio, fell in love with their logo as a kid and the rest is history. Still a diehard.

How did you get a picture from the 90s at the stadium?
(11-05-2017, 10:39 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]

How did you get a picture from the 90s at the stadium?

Sorry, but I don't understand your question?
The bengals game the other day felt like we are turning the tide and making the home crowd a factor like it once was.
And it definitely was for many home games during the Coughlin and Del Rio eras.

I'll be traveling this Sunday - but I expect that trend to continue at EverBank.

Players and coaches made comments about feeling the crowd getting involved last week. I see that only increasing.
(11-09-2017, 02:39 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]The bengals game the other day felt like we are turning the tide and making the home crowd a factor like it once was.

I'll be traveling this Sunday - but I expect that trend to continue at EverBank.

Players and coaches made comments about feeling the crowd getting involved last week.  I see that only increasing.

I know you were key on crowd noise. I do wonder if the design of the stadium is a factor here. Not just the size originally being designed for bowl game sized crowds, but not helping to maximize the noise of a smaller-sized crowd. I kind of thought notable stadiums like Arrowhead and Seattle's helped to keep the noise in more than than Everbank.
Yeah they are more vertical than our wide mouthed stadium.
(11-09-2017, 03:05 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-09-2017, 02:39 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]The bengals game the other day felt like we are turning the tide and making the home crowd a factor like it once was.

Players and coaches made comments about feeling the crowd getting involved last week.  I see that only increasing.

I know you were key on crowd noise. I do wonder if the design of the stadium is a factor here. Not just the size originally being designed for bowl game sized crowds, but not helping to maximize the noise of a smaller-sized crowd. I kind of thought notable stadiums like Arrowhead and Seattle's helped to keep the noise in more than than Everbank.

Definitely a factor, yes.
(11-04-2017, 10:00 PM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]I want to preface this by stating that I have never lived in Jacksonville or even BEEN to Jacksonville. 

SNIP

You're NOT missing anything, no really, trust me. I lived there for 24 years!  Of course if you've lived in MS or OH your entire life Jax may be a step up.

Laughing
(11-09-2017, 03:24 PM)NM Jag Fan Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-04-2017, 10:00 PM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]I want to preface this by stating that I have never lived in Jacksonville or even BEEN to Jacksonville. 

You're NOT missing anything, no really, trust me. I lived there for 24 years!  Of course if you've lived in MS or OH your entire life Jax may be a step up.

Laughing
Huh. 

I've traveled to 47 states in the US, every province in Canada, and 23 different countries and I think Jacksonville is awesome.  

Between the different beaches and the activities associated with them, the great fishing of any variety you can imagine, the dozens of great daytrips nearby, the growing nightlife scene downtown and in the neighboring historic disctricts, the dozens of great local restaurants that have emerged lately, and the cheap cost of living. I think it's great.

Dozens of former Jaguars players and coaches that have decided to make it their home are a testament to that.

I can tell you in the early years, we definitely had loud crowds, and the game day atmosphere was amazing.  I think there were several factors I won't get into here that led to the diminished home field advantage.
I do feel that the scoreboards do help with containing some of the crowd noise in the stadium because they are so large versus both end zones being open in the past. This past Sunday's crowd was very loud even though it wasn't a full house and I would be willing to bet it would be a lot louder if we could actually sell out a game.
Home Field, here's the lastest Vegas Line

At Jacksonville -3.5 LA Chargers
I actually think the whole home field advantage thing is made out bigger than it actually is.
Outside of not traveling, the game doesn't change........... sure, home crowds can be loud and I guess help cause some false starts and such... but every stadium is loud when it has 50K+ people in it. At least on TV it never really sounds different between one teams offense and another's.

One of the Giants Superbowl runs, they were terrible at home (like 2-6 or something) but won all of their road games, iirc.
Everything outside of the lines is just noise, sports radio talk, fantasy stuff.
(11-09-2017, 03:33 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-09-2017, 03:24 PM)NM Jag Fan Wrote: [ -> ]You're NOT missing anything, no really, trust me. I lived there for 24 years!  Of course if you've lived in MS or OH your entire life Jax may be a step up.

Laughing
Huh. 

I've traveled to 47 states in the US, every province in Canada, and 23 different countries and I think Jacksonville is awesome.  

Between the different beaches and the activities associated with them, the great fishing of any variety you can imagine, the dozens of great daytrips nearby, the growing nightlife scene downtown and in the neighboring historic disctricts, the dozens of great local restaurants that have emerged lately, and the cheap cost of living. I think it's great.

Dozens of former Jaguars players and coaches that have decided to make it their home are a testament to that.

Well, I did say it was better than Ohio or Mississippi.     Tongue
Hard to build a home field advantage when nobody was showing up to watch trash. It took a few years but there was no real genuine hype at games after all that hopeless losing.
(11-05-2017, 10:02 AM)hb1148 Wrote: [ -> ]

I am an original season ticket holder and been to every home game (with the exception of a couple of pre-season games) over the years.  There have been years where it's been a wild and crazy atmosphere and some particular games really standout.  I remember a night game in 2007 against Indy were the stadium was packed and downright rocking.  The atmosphere at the playoff games in '99 (at least at the beginning of those games) was insane.  

The last few years it has let up but even then there have been moments.  The Miami game a couple years ago was a pretty good atmosphere.  Even the opener against Green Bay last year was decent. But years of losing will impact any team's home crowd so it's not now like it was even during Bradley's initial year or so.  Part of it is that actual game day attendance has declined, part of it has to do with the overall excitement in the stadium.  I sense that home field advantage will come back in a hurry when the Jags prove they're genuine contenders again.
Agreed.  I attended a lot of games in the 96-2000 era.  Always looked for tix in the north end zone (Cage of Rage) cause it was as close to a college game atmosphere as you could find.  Back then, we even had regular Sunday and Monday night games on the schedule.  Now it seems like most of the fans between the 35 yard lines are happy to retreat to the Jaguar club area after the 1st quarter to get out of the sun and watch the game on the wall size screen while they chow down.  Years of losing is def a factor; in fact, it probably helped kill a generation of potential Jags fans.
Pages: 1 2