Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Caldwell is a genius.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Just giving Love to DC. He keeps finding gems out of no where.  Like he has all along.  Just never got credit. Cause couldn't develop under Mr. Sprinkles.
I've always been Pro Caldwell, and he certainly isn't to blame for the Gus hire. If Blake can keep playing like he has been, the 2014 class and the 2017 FA class might be the best in this franchises history.
Exactly wasn't many coaches he could of had. After losing so many years in a row in Jacksonville. It was slim pickens
I wouldn't describe anybody who gave Gus Bradley 4 years to develop his talent as a "genius".

I also can't describe anybody who has picked in the top 10 every year of their tenure as a "genius" either.

Coughlin saved DC.
(11-06-2017, 05:25 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't describe anybody who gave Gus Bradley 4 years to develop his talent as a "genius".

I also can't describe anybody who has picked in the top 10 every year of their tenure as a "genius" either.

Coughlin saved DC.

No. Reason because it is easy to pick In top yes. However, think of all the guys round 3 and beyond and undrafted that worked out for us as well.  Think of all the Free agents prior to Coughlin. And the waiver wire. Still have Pryor yet to see. West Brook down the pipe line.

It is easy to say well we drafted high.  But then ya would disregard Smith, Yannick, H urns, Mickens, Cole, and the list goes on and on.  Plus our o line that many said was an issue last year.  Have been playing lights out and from a makeshift.  Which hardly any including me predicted.
TC
(11-06-2017, 05:29 PM)Teal Time Radio Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-06-2017, 05:25 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't describe anybody who gave Gus Bradley 4 years to develop his talent as a "genius".

Coughlin saved DC.

No. Reason because it is easy to pick In top yes. However, think of all the guys round 3 and beyond and undrafted that worked out for us as well.  Think of all the Free agents prior to Coughlin.  

It is easy to say well we drafted high.  But then ya would disregard Smith, Yannick, H urns, Mickens, Cole, and the list goes on and on.  Plus our o line that many said was an issue last year.  Have been playing lights out and from a makeshift.  Which hardly any including me predicted.

Smith and Yannick are great. I'll give you that. Hurns, Mickens, and Cole are pedestrian. 

Coaching has a ton to do with the improvements you are seeing. Caldwell's black eye is his willingness to keep Gus around.
I've been given quite a bit of grief for defending Caldwell on this board. Which is fine, of course. So many losses will always generate all kinds of finger pointing.
While I have been very vocal about his miscues as well, I do believe that the talent he's assembled is deserving of some recognition.

Did it take a little too long to start showing up in the W/L column? Yes. Absolutely.
Does TC share in the credit for this year's additions? For sure.

But, it's pretty tough to hate on Caldwell right now when so many of his draft selections and signings are playing so well.
And the team is still very young at many positions filled by young core players.

What Blake does moving forward will define his success more of course. I do feel like he may eventually be among a rare group of GMs that get to select multiple QBs for a team despite the first one not working out.
I'm glad he has TC to lean on and learn from as well. Seems like a good combination.
What people seam to forget about Tom is this. He put us through cap purgatory and reason he was let go. Dave has made contracts reasonable. That is no disrespect to Tom. He is great at what he does.
(11-06-2017, 05:21 PM)MojoKing Wrote: [ -> ]I've always been Pro Caldwell, and he certainly isn't to blame for the Gus hire. If Blake can keep playing like he has been, the 2014 class and the 2017 FA class might be the best in this franchises history.

How is he not to blame for Bradley?
(11-06-2017, 05:32 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-06-2017, 05:29 PM)Teal Time Radio Wrote: [ -> ]No. Reason because it is easy to pick In top yes. However, think of all the guys round 3 and beyond and undrafted that worked out for us as well.  Think of all the Free agents prior to Coughlin.  

Smith and Yannick are great. I'll give you that. Hurns, Mickens, and Cole are pedestrian. 

Coaching has a ton to do with the improvements you are seeing. Caldwell's black eye is his willingness to keep Gus around.

To come on and get a td off just being activated is special.  To add another element to our special teams.
I've always been pro Dave.

On the Gus hire, he was supposed to be a great hire. People here, and nationally, loved Guys as a HC candidate. I do fault Dave for not moving on sooner, but oh well, we got LF and Cam out of it.
(11-06-2017, 05:38 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-06-2017, 05:21 PM)MojoKing Wrote: [ -> ]I've always been Pro Caldwell, and he certainly isn't to blame for the Gus hire. If Blake can keep playing like he has been, the 2014 class and the 2017 FA class might be the best in this franchises history.

How is he not to blame for Bradley?

There were some interviews after the latest coaching search that strongly suggested that the Bradley hire (and retention) were decided jointly among Caldwell, Shahid Khan, and Tony Khan.

I wouldn't say he's not to blame, but that he shares it with his boss and was probably influenced by their opinion.
Because we lost. But barely lost not like was being blown out 16 games. Many argued lost by 7 or less many games.
(11-06-2017, 05:40 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]I've always been pro Dave.

On the Gus hire, he was supposed to be a great hire. People here, and nationally, loved Guys as a HC candidate. I do fault Dave for not moving on sooner, but oh well, we got LF and Cam out of it.

The problem wasn't the hire. It was the delayed firing. Gus was given too much time when it was clear to everybody you had seen his best.
(11-06-2017, 05:42 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-06-2017, 05:38 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: [ -> ]How is he not to blame for Bradley?

There were some interviews after the latest coaching search that strongly suggested that the Bradley hire (and retention) were decided jointly among Caldwell, Shahid Khan, and Tony Khan.

I wouldn't say he's not to blame, but that he shares it with his boss and was probably influenced by their opinion.
At that time.  Probaly figured Gus could get over the hump.  And with more talent could get there.  And when didn't pan out.  Had to make a drastic change.

Coughlin saved DC.

Caldwell found a lot of talent outside of the top 10.

Allen Robinson
Marqise Lee
Brandon Linder
Telvin Smith
Yannick Ngakoue
Myles Jack

Most of those guys are key players this year.
(11-06-2017, 05:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I've been given quite a bit of grief for defending Caldwell on this board. Which is fine, of course. So many losses will always generate all kinds of finger pointing.
While I have been very vocal about his miscues as well, I do believe that the talent he's assembled is deserving of some recognition.

Did it take a little too long to start showing up in the W/L column? Yes. Absolutely.
Does TC share in the credit for this year's additions?  For sure.

But, it's pretty tough to hate on Caldwell right now when so many of his draft selections and signings are playing so well.
And the team is still very young at many positions filled by young core players.

What Blake does moving forward will define his success more of course. I do feel like he may eventually be among a rare group of GMs that get to select multiple QBs for a team despite the first one not working out.
I'm glad he has TC to lean on and learn from as well. Seems like a good combination.

I am with you completely on this.

It was tough defending him in the face of all of the losses, but it's sweet now.
I've never been terribly down on Caldwell like some folks here have been, but clearly, the one mistake he made was sticking with Gus for as long as he did. Ultimately, it might save his bacon because with the team hiring Coughlin and Marrone, we've gone from a team that is ignored to one that is on the cusp of becoming a real juggernaut in the NFL. I don't think the team would have gotten to this point without the addition of the latter two. They brought a completely different philosophy to the approach of running this team. Caldwell has done a good job of identifying talent. We finally have people who understand how to develop it. Amazing what actual coaching can do for a team.

Caldwell deserves a ton of credit for finding the talent that is finally starting to realize it's potential under Marrone, with the discipline instilled by Coughlin and Marrone. We finally have a team that looks like a bunch of professionals out there (except for the occasional brawl).
(11-06-2017, 05:42 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-06-2017, 05:40 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]I've always been pro Dave.

The problem wasn't the hire. It was the delayed firing. Gus was given too much time when it was clear to everybody you had seen his best.

That's the thing, it was clear to everybody that Gus was a failure. It had to be clear to Caldwell and Khan too.

The only explanation is that Gus was promised four full years to turn the team around, which is logical given the disaster of a roster and the total rebuild at the time he was hired. Apparently Caldwell (and/or Khan) was not willing to break that promise.
Pages: 1 2 3 4