Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Myrick: Good enough to replace Colvin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I was impressed with the way he played during his opportunities this game. Especially his deep ball coverage. Granted he had limited reps and was not against a top level WR.

Is Myrick looking good enough to be the  potential replacement for Colvin? (Not considering draft)

Lets be honest Colvin is going to want starter money and We can't and should not swing that for 3 guys at in one position. 

What do you guys think?
Definitely has elite speed. Bit I'm not sure he has enough agility and fluidity in his hips to cover the quick slot guys. I could be wrong, but I remember that being one of his biggest issues pre draft. He definitely looked good against the Bengals though. Was very encouraging.
I would say yes. This team is now developing players and I don’t see any reason Myrick won’t take the next step to becoming a slot corner. It also wouldn’t surprise me if if drafted a cb in the 2nd or 3rd round tho.
Quite interesting how so many of these skill position players have their roots in the South; in this case Savannah GA even though Myrick went to school at the U of Minnesota.
(11-07-2017, 12:37 PM)Browntrouser Wrote: [ -> ]I was impressed with the way he played during his opportunities this game. Especially his deep ball coverage. Granted he had limited reps and was not against a top level WR.

Is Myrick looking good enough to be the potential replacement for Colvin? (Not considering draft)

Lets be honest Colvin is going to want starter money and We can't and should not swing that for 3 guys at in one position. 

What do you guys think?

The primary speculation on Myrick when he was drafted was that he was being groomed to take Colvin's spot. 

No idea how far along he is in that process, but he looked pretty good the other day. 

Looked like they used Colvin opposite Bouye in base D --  and in nickel Colvin kicked inside and Myrick played outside opposite Bouye. 

So -- that doesn't exactly lend itself to the notion of Myrick being ready to play the slot. Though the nickel spot is technically the #3 CB, it does require a specific skill set and Myrick may or may not possess it.
(11-07-2017, 12:52 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]I would say yes. This team is now developing players and I don’t see any reason Myrick won’t take the next step to becoming a slot corner. It also wouldn’t surprise me if if drafted a cb in the 2nd or 3rd round tho.

I would be surprised if we draft a corner in the first 3 rounds.  I def. think we draft one just not in the first 3 rounds
(11-07-2017, 01:03 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-07-2017, 12:52 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]I would say yes. This team is now developing players and I don’t see any reason Myrick won’t take the next step to becoming a slot corner. It also wouldn’t surprise me if if drafted a cb in the 2nd or 3rd round tho.

I would be surprised if we draft a corner in the first 3 rounds.  I def. think we draft one just not in the first 3 rounds

If we lose Colvin I can see it. This team has no problem drafting at a position of strength or a position they invested heavily in ie Smoot, Westbrook, Fournette. I could see them developing Myrick as the third guy and just drafting a cb in third just to load up. Maybe the fourth or fifth is more likely but it wouldn’t  suprise me.
In college he was elite at covering deep passes and was very good in man coverage so hopefully that has translated.  He's not very smooth and I think a good route runner would expose him a bit.
Colvin isn't afraid of contact and is really good playing up at the line/run support as well. That is the big thing Myrick has to show...that willingness and physicality to mix it up in the run game.
(11-07-2017, 01:18 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-07-2017, 01:03 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]I would be surprised if we draft a corner in the first 3 rounds.  I def. think we draft one just not in the first 3 rounds

If we lose Colvin I can see it. This team has no problem drafting at a position of strength or a position they invested heavily in ie Smoot, Westbrook, Fournette. I could see them developing Myrick as the third guy and just drafting a cb in third just to load up. Maybe the fourth or fifth is more likely but it wouldn’t  suprise me.

I think we go all offense the first 3 rounds.
(11-07-2017, 01:18 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-07-2017, 01:03 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]I would be surprised if we draft a corner in the first 3 rounds.  I def. think we draft one just not in the first 3 rounds

Fournette? Since when was RB a position of strength last year?

On topic, Myrick did play well, his speed on the outside can make up for mistakes, I dont know how good he will be in the slot tho
(11-07-2017, 02:24 PM)J-Mizzal Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-07-2017, 01:18 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]If we lose Colvin I can see it. This team has no problem drafting at a position of strength or a position they invested heavily in ie Smoot, Westbrook, Fournette. I could see them developing Myrick as the third guy and just drafting a cb in third just to load up. Maybe the fourth or fifth is more likely but it wouldn’t  suprise me.

Fournette? Since when was RB a position of strength last year?

On topic, Myrick did play well, his speed on the outside can make up for mistakes, I dont know how good he will be in the slot tho

Well I did say “or a position they invested heavily in”. Drafting a guy in the second in 2015 and signing a free agent last year is a pretty steep investment to only turn aroun the very next year and draft another rb only in the first round.
(11-07-2017, 02:30 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-07-2017, 02:24 PM)J-Mizzal Wrote: [ -> ]Fournette? Since when was RB a position of strength last year?

Well I did say “or a position they invested heavily in”. Drafting a guy in the second in 2015 and signing a free agent last year is a pretty steep investment to only turn aroun the very next year and draft another rb only in the first round.

I believe we have more $ tied up in RB contracts than anyone else in the league.
(11-07-2017, 02:49 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-07-2017, 02:30 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]Well I did say “or a position they invested heavily in”. Drafting a guy in the second in 2015 and signing a free agent last year is a pretty steep investment to only turn aroun the very next year and draft another rb only in the first round.

I believe we have more $ tied up in RB contracts than anyone else in the league.
It has paid off, we are 1st in rushing offense
What happened to Patmon? Seems like he was the star in TC.
(11-07-2017, 05:33 PM)NCJag Wrote: [ -> ]What happened to Patmon? Seems like he was the star in TC.

I don't know about "star" but he got lots of reps and a couple of practice picks with the ones when Bouye and Ramsey were hurt. 

He's still technically listed ahead of Myrick on the depth chart, but they seemed to value Myrick's speed to Patmon's experience on Sunday when Ramsey was out.  May have been the match-up, or maybe Myrick is just coming along at a good rate of improvement.
Never heard of him.
Why does the one mod change every single title to a thread?. The thread was Myrick, to have discussion on Myrick and now the thread is a question. Not sure why one mod goes and changes 90% of the threads

(11-07-2017, 06:28 PM)myrick31 Wrote: [ -> ]Never heard of him.

Cmon man, you know you joined the board after you got drafted.  Good game man
That was the plan when he was drafted, but it's way to early to say. By time he was thrown into the fire on Sunday it had already been utterly snuffed out and was cold ash. The reports we had seen earlier from training camp/preseason were not glowing, but that was obviously way too early too.
Draft and develop baby! In fairness, the jury is still out on him but he has a chance to work hard and develop as a player.
Pages: 1 2