Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 2005 Jags vs 2017 Jags
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can we do a repeat of the 2005 Jags?  05 we started 4-3 like this team and went on to win 8 out of the last 9.  Ended up 12-4 that year and looking at our schedule and the way the team is playing as of late there is a real possibility.  2nd half of the season should be fun.  I feel this team is more talented than the 05 team as well
That may have been the worst 12-4 team to ever exist in the NFL

I recall sitting through a Jag 10-9 victory over the hapless 49ers thinking we really suck. Little did I now after the Gene Smith and Gus Bradley era that those would be the good ole days.
I wouldn't say the worst 12-4 team. If you have a great d and run game you can win in this league.
I think this 2017 team is way more talented than that 2005 team obviously. We have true edge rushes and a dominant pass rush. They secondary may be historically great and the run game is beyond effective. The only similarity is the run offense. 2005 was better defending the run. 2017 is better defending the pass. The true difference, and I may get killed for this, is Blake. When Blake is playing well we blow teams out. He has the ability to make the team the best in the league when he’s on. The issue is his consistency. I don’t think that was ever possible under Leftwich no matter how effective he was playing.
I'm just worried about this year.
(11-08-2017, 01:11 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]I think this 2017 team is way more talented than that 2005 team obviously. We have true edge rushes and a dominant pass rush. They secondary may be historically great and the run game is beyond effective. The only similarity is the run offense. 2005 was better defending the run. 2017 is better defending the pass. The true difference, and I may get killed for this, is Blake. When Blake is playing well we blow teams out. He has the ability to make the team the best in the league when he’s on. The issue is his consistency. I don’t think that was ever possible under Leftwich no matter how effective he was playing.
Why would you get killed for stating the most obvious fact about this team?

Blake is the 2017 X-Factor. If he is accurate, keeps drives alive and doesn't turn the ball over, this team is going to beat everyone. And I do mean everyone.

Outside of the horrendous Titans game, this defense has held teams to a ridiculously low point total. They held the Steelers to 9, Texans to 7, Bengals to 7, Rams to 13 (not counting special teams), Ravens to 7, Jets to 20 (ugh), and shut out the Colts. That is 63 points in 7 games or 9ppg. That is incredible.

As long as this team doesn't kill themselves with turnovers, penalties and bad ST play.... The skys the limit.
(11-08-2017, 01:26 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2017, 01:11 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]I think this 2017 team is way more talented than that 2005 team obviously. We have true edge rushes and a dominant pass rush. They secondary may be historically great and the run game is beyond effective. The only similarity is the run offense. 2005 was better defending the run. 2017 is better defending the pass. The true difference, and I may get killed for this, is Blake. When Blake is playing well we blow teams out. He has the ability to make the team the best in the league when he’s on. The issue is his consistency. I don’t think that was ever possible under Leftwich no matter how effective he was playing.
Why would you get killed for stating the most obvious fact about this team?

Blake is the 2017 X-Factor. If he is accurate, keeps drives alive and doesn't turn the ball over, this team is going to beat everyone. And I do mean everyone.

Outside of the horrendous Titans game, this defense has held teams to a ridiculously low point total. They held the Steelers to 9, Texans to 7, Bengals to 7, Rams to 13 (not counting special teams), Ravens to 7, Jets to 20 (ugh), and shut out the Colts. That is 63 points in 7 games or 9ppg. That is incredible.

As long as this team doesn't kill themselves with turnovers, penalties and bad ST play.... The skys the limit.

We have some Byron fans here still and I thought they would have taken offense to that statement.
I think our record has a good chance to be the same, but we won't be as helpless in the playoffs. 12-4 probably gets you a 1st round bye this year. I don't see a single team in the playoffs that scares me in terms of match ups. After watching this team for half a year, I really feel good about our chances making some serious noise deep in the playoffs.
(11-08-2017, 01:21 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm just worried about this year.

Lol, you are always worried about something
(11-08-2017, 10:30 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]That may have been the worst 12-4 team to ever exist in the NFL

I recall sitting through a Jag 10-9 victory over the hapless 49ers thinking we really suck.  Little did I now after the Gene Smith and Gus Bradley era that those would be the good ole days.

Not a fan of rain and drizzle?

That was the only game I ever sat in the NEZ.
(11-08-2017, 03:10 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: [ -> ]I think our record has a good chance to be the same, but we won't be as helpless in the playoffs. 12-4 probably gets you a 1st round bye this year. I don't see a single team in the playoffs that scares me in terms of match ups. After watching this team for half a year, I really feel good about our chances making some serious noise deep in the playoffs.

Except Brady. 

Playoff Brady is a tough matchup, especially at home. Now we certainly have the pass rush to make life difficult for him but I’m not sure we have the offensive firepower to score 30 points in a shootout.
(11-08-2017, 04:53 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2017, 03:10 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: [ -> ]I think our record has a good chance to be the same, but we won't be as helpless in the playoffs. 12-4 probably gets you a 1st round bye this year. I don't see a single team in the playoffs that scares me in terms of match ups. After watching this team for half a year, I really feel good about our chances making some serious noise deep in the playoffs.

Except Brady. 

Playoff Brady is a tough matchup, especially at home. Now we certainly have the pass rush to make life difficult for him but I’m not sure we have the offensive firepower to score 30 points in a shootout.

Pats D is awful.
I’m not sure I’m too worried about the pats. They just don’t seem like themselves this year. And our D is legit. Their’s , not so good. I think it would be a close game. I think the Defense alone is what makes me as a fan not worried about any team. Factor in that teams can’t seem to stop the run even while planning for it. I honestly feel they can hold their own against anyone.
You know, i've technically been a lifelong fan, since I was 5 or 6 and living in Jacksonville when the team was founded, but 2005 was a year in which I wasn't really watching football. I was busy.....well I don't know what I was doing. I was just being a weird kid.

How good was Leftwich, really? I don't recall seeing much of his play, other than recalling my dad complaining about his lack of footwork. You know, funny story, but two or so years ago, I found out that he was living around the VA area, apparently; he came to the furniture store where I work (restoration hardware) and was checking out rugs. I didn't recognize his face or anything, because I was too busy just trying to get this gigantic dude to buy a rug, and he did indeed.

It was only when he signed the receipt and came to the back of the store to pick up the rug half an hour later did I realize who he was. I feigned ignorance. I mean, what the hell was I supposed to say? "Hey man, I loved that you played for my team! But I honestly thought Garrard is better?!"

Nice guy in person though. But how do you guys compare him and Blake? I'm honestly asking
(11-08-2017, 06:50 PM)Nikowho Wrote: [ -> ]You know, i've technically been a lifelong fan, since I was 5 or 6 and living in Jacksonville when the team was founded, but 2005 was a year in which I wasn't really watching football. I was busy.....well I don't know what I was doing. I was just being a weird kid.

How good was Leftwich, really? I don't recall seeing much of his play, other than recalling my dad complaining about his lack of footwork. You know, funny story, but two or so years ago, I found out that he was living around the VA area, apparently; he came to the furniture store where I work (restoration hardware) and was checking out rugs. I didn't recognize his face or anything, because I was too busy just trying to get this gigantic dude to buy a rug, and he did indeed.

It was only when he signed the receipt and came to the back of the store to pick up the rug half an hour later did I realize who he was. I feigned ignorance. I mean, what the hell was I supposed to say? "Hey man, I loved that you played for my team! But I honestly thought Garrard is better?!"

Nice guy in person though. But how do you guys compare him and Blake? I'm honestly asking

Other than 2016 Blake, give me Blake any day.  Leftwich was to slow, and couldn't take the hits like Blake.  Had a strong arm but couldn't move around in the pocket and just to slow.  He looked like a 60 year old man old there when he was moving around. He wasn't all that accurate either, had some good games but not even compared to Blakes best games.
Did a Leftwich-led Jaguars team ever blow somebody out by 3 TDs? I remember several times Leftwich not completing his first pass until the 2nd quarter. Then he tended to get streaky and would complete 6 or 7 in a row on a scoring drive, but then next drive was often a 3-and-out. He would hold the ball too long, take big hits and was often injured.