Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Cap Space??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Does anyone know what our cap space is supposed to look like this offseason? I have started to become a little concerned that we won't have money to re-sign A-Rob!
It will start getting tight. Be prepared to have good players getting cut. In my opinion the Jags are now in position talent wise to have to make tough and unpopular decisions moving forward.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/jacksonville-jaguars/
So seems that Bortles/Hurns/Lewis/Parnell are our most obvious choices
(11-08-2017, 07:08 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]It will start getting tight. 

[Image: michael-scott1.jpg]
(11-08-2017, 07:15 PM)ColoJag Wrote: [ -> ]So seems that Bortles/Hurns/Lewis/Parnell are our most obvious choices

The obvious choice imo are Jackson and Ivory.  Not because of there play but because of Dareus and Fournette.  The only way I see Hurns getting cut is if they want to use that money to go towards resigning A Rob.  Lewis and Parnell are locks to stay if they play the rest of the year like they have up to this point.
We need a cap like the NBA lol just pay a hefty fine for being over lol
(11-08-2017, 07:22 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2017, 07:15 PM)ColoJag Wrote: [ -> ]So seems that Bortles/Hurns/Lewis/Parnell are our most obvious choices

The obvious choice imo are Jackson and Ivory.  Not because of there play but because of Dareus and Fournette.  The only way I see Hurns getting cut is if they want to use that money to go towards resigning A Rob.  Lewis and Parnell are locks to stay if they play the rest of the year like they have up to this point.

Based on play then yes I would agree it would be Jackson and Ivory but that would have us eat 6 mil in dead space for Malik. I could see us dropping hurns because I would rather have A-rob because he is a number 1 guy where hurns is a decent 2.  For Parnell, we have to draft someone in the first and 2nd round and why not get our new RT.

Also, I keep seeing us getting named dropped as a landing spot for Cousins, how is that possible? Bortles is 20+Malik is 9 that's 29 then you need to sign ARob so that's where you cut Hurns and Ivory and we would be pretty much at the cap I would imagine
(11-08-2017, 07:08 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]It will start getting tight. Be prepared to have good players getting cut. In my opinion the Jags are now in position talent wise to have to make tough and unpopular decisions moving forward.

We’ll be fine. We have almost 38 million in cap rollover which isn’t accounted for on these websites. We may not have crazy spending sprees like in years pass but we will have enough to do what we need to do with our current guys and go after a top free agent if we choose to.
(11-08-2017, 07:31 PM)ColoJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2017, 07:22 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]The obvious choice imo are Jackson and Ivory.  Not because of there play but because of Dareus and Fournette.  The only way I see Hurns getting cut is if they want to use that money to go towards resigning A Rob.  Lewis and Parnell are locks to stay if they play the rest of the year like they have up to this point.

Based on play then yes I would agree it would be Jackson and Ivory but that would have us eat 6 mil in dead space for Malik. I could see us dropping hurns because I would rather have A-rob because he is a number 1 guy where hurns is a decent 2.  For Parnell, we have to draft someone in the first and 2nd round and why not get our new RT.

Also, I keep seeing us getting named dropped as a landing spot for Cousins, how is that possible? Bortles is 20+Malik is 9 that's 29 then you need to sign ARob so that's where you cut Hurns and Ivory and we would be pretty much at the cap I would imagine

We would save 9.5 mil in cap space cutting Jackson.  Why get a new RT when Parnell is playing the best season of his career, and only making 6.5 mil. which isn't much at all for a tackle.  How do you know Brown, McGlinchey, or Williams fall to your 1st pick?  If those 3 or gone you would be forced to reach on a tackle and the right side of you line just got much weaker when you could of kept Parnell for not much at all compared to what decent starting tackles make.  I dont get that logic at all cutting Parnell as good as this oline has played and what he makes

(11-08-2017, 07:41 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2017, 07:08 PM)B2hibry Wrote: [ -> ]It will start getting tight. Be prepared to have good players getting cut. In my opinion the Jags are now in position talent wise to have to make tough and unpopular decisions moving forward.

We’ll be fine. We have almost 38 million in cap rollover which isn’t accounted for on these websites. We may not have crazy spending sprees like in years pass but we will have enough to do what we need to do with our current guys and go after a top free agent if we choose to.

That wont happen because the following year we are going to have to give big money to Fowler, Yannick, Jack, and a decent contract to keep Day
(11-08-2017, 07:43 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2017, 07:31 PM)ColoJag Wrote: [ -> ]Based on play then yes I would agree it would be Jackson and Ivory but that would have us eat 6 mil in dead space for Malik. I could see us dropping hurns because I would rather have A-rob because he is a number 1 guy where hurns is a decent 2.  For Parnell, we have to draft someone in the first and 2nd round and why not get our new RT.

We would save 9.5 mil in cap space cutting Jackson.  Why get a new RT when Parnell is playing the best season of his career, and only making 6.5 mil. which isn't much at all for a tackle.  How do you know Brown, McGlinchey, or Williams fall to your 1st pick?  If those 3 or gone you would be forced to reach on a tackle and the right side of you line just got much weaker when you could of kept Parnell for not much at all compared to what decent starting tackles make.  I dont get that logic at all cutting Parnell as good as this oline has played and what he makes

(11-08-2017, 07:41 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]We’ll be fine. We have almost 38 million in cap rollover which isn’t accounted for on these websites. We may not have crazy spending sprees like in years pass but we will have enough to do what we need to do with our current guys and go after a top free agent if we choose to.

That wont happen because the following year we are going to have to give big money to Fowler, Yannick, Jack, and a decent contract to keep Day

You're getting WAY ahead of yourself there. Yannick, Jack, and Day are all signed thru 2019. And we have the 5th year option right for Fowler.
(11-08-2017, 07:49 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2017, 07:43 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]We would save 9.5 mil in cap space cutting Jackson.  Why get a new RT when Parnell is playing the best season of his career, and only making 6.5 mil. which isn't much at all for a tackle.  How do you know Brown, McGlinchey, or Williams fall to your 1st pick?  If those 3 or gone you would be forced to reach on a tackle and the right side of you line just got much weaker when you could of kept Parnell for not much at all compared to what decent starting tackles make.  I dont get that logic at all cutting Parnell as good as this oline has played and what he makes

You're getting WAY ahead of yourself there. Yannick, Jack, and Day are all signed thru 2019. And we have the 5th year option right for Fowler.

Exactly, thats what im talking about. We wont have all this money to do what ever we want with our current guys and go after a top free agent if we choose to. The following year all those guys contracts will be coming up and we will have to give Fowler his 5th year option
(11-08-2017, 07:55 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2017, 07:49 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]You're getting WAY ahead of yourself there. Yannick, Jack, and Day are all signed thru 2019. And we have the 5th year option right for Fowler.

Exactly, thats what im talking about. We wont have all this money to do what ever we want with our current guys and go after a top free agent if we choose to. The following year all those guys contracts will be coming up and we will have to give Fowler his 5th year option

We have 2 full years before even needing to have that conversation. They aren't scheduled for Free Agency until 2020. A lot can change from now until then.
(11-08-2017, 08:18 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2017, 07:55 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Exactly, thats what im talking about. We wont have all this money to do what ever we want with our current guys and go after a top free agent if we choose to. The following year all those guys contracts will be coming up and we will have to give Fowler his 5th year option

We have 2 full years before even needing to have that conversation. They aren't scheduled for Free Agency until 2020. A lot can change from now until then.

Yes but you want to resign the ones you want to keep in 2019.  You dont want those guys to hit FA.

(11-08-2017, 08:18 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2017, 07:55 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Exactly, thats what im talking about. We wont have all this money to do what ever we want with our current guys and go after a top free agent if we choose to. The following year all those guys contracts will be coming up and we will have to give Fowler his 5th year option

The year coming up is 2018, you are talking about we will have enough to do what we need to do with our current guys and go after a top free agent if we choose to. The following year is the year we need to resign Jack, Yannick, Day, and give Fowler his 5th year option.  If we just throw what ever money around like you insist to A Rob and Colvin and sign a top FA we dont even have that kind of cap space now much less the following year to get those guys resigned.
(11-08-2017, 08:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2017, 08:18 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]We have 2 full years before even needing to have that conversation. They aren't scheduled for Free Agency until 2020. A lot can change from now until then.

Yes but you want to resign the ones you want to keep in 2019.  You dont want those guys to hit FA.

Like I said a lot can happen before you get near there. Yes, I want to keep these guys too but I'm not going sit on my hands and stop building my team for the next two years. If there is a potential impact player available I may have to do some roster shuffling/contract reconstructing to make it work.
(11-08-2017, 08:27 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2017, 08:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Yes but you want to resign the ones you want to keep in 2019.  You dont want those guys to hit FA.

Like I said a lot can happen before you get near there. Yes, I want to keep these guys too but I'm not going sit on my hands and stop building my team for the next two years. If there is a potential impact player available I may have to do some roster shuffling/contract reconstructing to make it work.

You just start thowing money around at this point is a good way to get in cap hell like we have in the past.  I want to resign the guys we have.  I think you are going to be disappointed this offseason.  With Idzik here im not worried
Not even worried about cap space right now.
We're starting to get close to it, but with the roll-over money, I don't see all these massive predicted cuts taking place. There might be a couple strategic cuts and a few restructured contracts, and I don't see them going gangbusters in free agency like they have the past two seasons, but they should be able to keep their guys possibly with an extension or two and bring in any necessary mid-tier free agents. 
(11-08-2017, 08:31 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-08-2017, 08:27 PM)knarnn Wrote: [ -> ]Like I said a lot can happen before you get near there. Yes, I want to keep these guys too but I'm not going sit on my hands and stop building my team for the next two years. If there is a potential impact player available I may have to do some roster shuffling/contract reconstructing to make it work.

You just start thowing money around at this point is a good way to get in cap hell like we have in the past.  I want to resign the guys we have.  I think you are going to be disappointed this offseason.  With Idzik here im not worried

I said in an earlier post that we aren't going to be major spenders in FA this year most likely. But that doesn't mean we are going to lock up our available cap in a vault hoping to re-sign a couple a guys 2 1/2 years from now either.

(11-08-2017, 08:49 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]We're starting to get close to it, but with the roll-over money, I don't see all these massive predicted cuts taking place. There might be a couple strategic cuts and a few restructured contracts, and I don't see them going gangbusters in free agency like they have the past two seasons, but they should be able to keep their guys possibly with an extension or two and bring in any necessary mid-tier free agents. 

Precisely 02!

(11-08-2017, 08:44 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Not even worried about cap space right now.

Agreed 100%
(11-08-2017, 08:44 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Not even worried about cap space right now.

Agreed, no reason to worry right now.  We are in good shape
Can we make the playoffs before yall start cutting everybody
Pages: 1 2 3