Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: USA Today article labels us as "Pretenders"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf...843712001/

Their comments on the Jaguars:

A monster pass rush that leads the league in sacks (35) and the NFL’s top rushing offense (166.5 yards a game) have made the Jaguars a much-improved playoff contender. But Jacksonville isn’t consistent enough to compete for an AFC title. The Jags have alternated between victories and defeats three times this year, before winning their last two.

I understand that we have been flipping back and forth between wins and losses but overall I don't agree with it. Remember the year the Giants beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl? They were awful that year until they got hot at the very end leading up to the playoffs. What I mean is, you just don't know right now about anything being for sure but based off what we are seeing from our Jags, I would label us more contenders than pretenders. On the flip side, they also labeled the Tacks as pretenders.
I understand consistency is a concern, but I'm not sure it's enough to supersede the league-leading pass rush and rush offense. You can't just dismiss that just because we alternated winning and losing for a couple weeks.
It's fine. Let's take 'em by surprise. I think it's more gratifying that way.
In our 5 wins we’ve given up a total of 30 points and no more than 9 to any one of those opponents.

I really think the jet lag of going to London and back affected the team in our game the following week in New York. I believe the major special teams gaffes in the Rams game which lead to 14 points cost us that game more than anything else. Considering our special teams has been solid in every other game I have to believe that game was an anomaly. Our defense was also dominating the tacks but was getting almost no help from the offense that day and the dam finally broke which resulted in a lot of points that probably would not have otherwise been given up.

If the offense can consistently get to 17 which isn’t asking a whole lot, our defense should either prevent the other team from getting more than that or may even outright win the game for us by adding a pick 6 or putting our offense in very good positions. Nothing earth shattering here but it comes down to whether Bortles falters or not because everything else is in place.
(11-09-2017, 02:55 PM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: [ -> ]It's fine. Let's take 'em  by surprise. I think it's more gratifying that way.

Honestly. I understand their position. 

When forecasting or predicting something like title contenders, the only ones that should really qualify are teams that are very consistent. You know what to expect each time they are on the field, with high floor. 

It doesn't mean that teams that streaky or have high variance cannot win it all in the right circumstances, but they are more difficult to predict and bet on.

Plus the season is very long. Being #1 in rushing and defense in 8 games is much different than 16 games, even if the 2nd half of the schedule seems easy.
Um, do we have brass in pocket? I do think we're special, so special.
You would have to watch the games to really understand the dominance f our defense. Weak schedule or not, they are making NFL QBs look bad. The Pittsburgh and LA Rams games showed that they can play with the teams in the top tier. If we beat LAC in the same fashion, more will be convinced.
(11-09-2017, 03:15 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: [ -> ]Um, do we have brass in pocket? I do think we're special, so special.

Well played, sir.

Big Grin
Gonna make you notice
(11-09-2017, 02:27 PM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf...843712001/

A monster pass rush that leads the league in sacks (35) and the NFL’s top rushing offense (166.5 yards a game) have made the Jaguars a much-improved playoff contender. But Jacksonville isn’t consistent enough to compete for an AFC title. The Jags have alternated between victories and defeats three times this year, before winning their last two.

I understand that we have been flipping back and forth between wins and losses but overall I don't agree with it. Remember the year the Giants beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl? They were awful that year until they got hot at the very end leading up to the playoffs. What I mean is, you just don't know right now about anything being for sure but based off what we are seeing from our Jags, I would label us more contenders than pretenders. On the flip side, they also labeled the Tacks as pretenders.

So basically.... someone has to win the terrible AFCS but whoever it is will be fodder for the real AFC powerhouses in the playoffs?

That's cool...
I prefer the slight from the media over the fawning.

Can't wait to see our Jags face off against the contenders....(like the squeelers we already beat, in Pitt, or perhaps the Pats that are obviously winning the Superbowl again..... )

Shoot... maybe we can pretend all the way to a pretend Superbowl...
(11-09-2017, 03:39 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-09-2017, 02:27 PM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf...843712001/

So basically.... someone has to win the terrible AFCS but whoever it is will be fodder for the real AFC powerhouses in the playoffs?

That's cool...

Can't wait to see our Jags face off against the contenders....(like the squeelers we already beat, in Pitt, or perhaps the Pats that are obviously winning the Superbowl again..... )

Many of us have been doing that for years on Madden!   Banana Tongue Wallbash
(11-09-2017, 03:41 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-09-2017, 03:39 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]So basically.... someone has to win the terrible AFCS but whoever it is will be fodder for the real AFC powerhouses in the playoffs?

That's cool...

Many of us have been doing that for years on Madden!   Banana Tongue Wallbash

Indeed
NFL media is just chomping at the bit for an "I told ya so" story. Keep em waiting boys!
(11-09-2017, 03:15 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: [ -> ]Um, do we have brass in pocket? I do think we're special, so special.
Well dang, I clicked on it cause I read "predators" not pretenders. That would have been much more fun.
Our point differential, Pythagorean expectation, and the fact we have an OT loss suggests the team has actually under-achieved with the 5 wins. Whatever
(11-09-2017, 05:27 PM)git\er_done Wrote: [ -> ]Our point differential, Pythagorean expectation, and the fact we have an OT loss suggests the team has actually under-achieved with the 5 wins. 
I read that article too.
It basically states the Jags are playing like a 7 win team but they’ve only won 5. Should be a great 2nd half!
Just wait until we rip 8 straight off...
I prefer to be underestimated. Who wants to be the 'darling' of the fake sports media anyway? Good lord, I'd rather be the scrappy little [BLEEP] who had to fight tooth and nail for my achievements and earn true respect than to be fawned over by people whose opinion only matters to the sheeple who hang on their every word. What those folks say means nothing. What the team produces means everything. 

But that's just me.
(11-09-2017, 06:06 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]I prefer to be underestimated. Who wants to be the 'darling' of the fake sports media anyway? Good lord, I'd rather be the scrappy little [BLEEP] who had to fight tooth and nail for my achievements and earn true respect than to be fawned over by people whose opinion only matters to the sheeple who hang on their every word. What those folks say means nothing. What the team produces means everything. 

But that's just me.

For now that's okay, we have to earn some street cred. Eventually I want to be the team who other teams know is going to punch them in the mouth, it will only be a matter of how hard and how often.
Pages: 1 2 3