Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Impressions From the Chargers Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Last week, I indicated the game seemed to be a throwback to years' past on many levels.  We wore the teal, we had Jaguars alumni here to cheer on again, and we won.  This retro Jaguars feel continues this week.  I remember when we first found out we got the team.  People around town would have these goofy grins of disbelief when they saw other people with the new Jaguars shirts.  This year, the fan base went from loss weary to loss wary, and now legitimate excitement is beginning to creep in.   This year, coworkers who identified you as a Jaguars fan are changing from offering unsolicited insults to unsolicited praise.  Before, when you wore a Jaguars shirt in public, very few would initiate conversation with you.  Now, strangers come up to me talking about how great the win was.  Before, when I'd stop at a restaurant after a game, I wouldn't see many people wearing Jaguars gear.  Today, after the game, I saw several people wearing Jaguars gear.  It's taken a while, but enthusiasm over this team is returning.  It's not quite where I'd like it, but dang it feels much better than the alternative.  My thoughts on the game...

1.  Before the game, there was chatter about this being a revenge game for former Jaguars' coach Gus Bradley, who is now the Chargers' defensive coordinator.  However, the person who actually got his revenge was former Chargers kicker Josh Lambo, who kicked the game tying and game winning FGs today.  At least for today, Everbank became Lambo Field (goal)!!!!!

2.  This game was arguably decided by three Chargers drops.  There were two potential pick 6 INTs of Bortles that were dropped, and there was the deep Phillip Rivers' TD down the left sideline that hit the receiver in the hands.  I think those drops are indicative of the Jaguars' changing fortunes.   In years past, the Chargers make one of those plays and the Jaguars lose.  To make the playoffs, sometimes it takes a little luck.  Those drops were exhibits A, B & C.

3.  This was not one of Bortles better games.  Aside from the drops referenced above, Bortles threw two late INTs that were bad and almost doomed the team.  To his credit, at one point, he had a high completion percentage. Generally, he plyed decently in the face of a lot of pressure from a good Chargers pass rush.  He led the drive to tie the game at 14, making several clutch plays.  But we are likely to have more close games in the future, and we can't have him throwing picks like that.

4.  A major reason so many Jaguars fans were scared about this game is Phillip Rivers.  He has absolutely tormented this team over the years.  While he managed to throw for a couple of TDs, he didn't trash us like he historically has.   Some might be alarmed at the lack of sacks today, but even though the team did not register any sacks today, the pass rush did a decent job of harassing rivers, hitting him a few times, and moving him off his spot.  The fact is, Rivers has such a command of the offense and can read defenses so well, he can be hard to sack because he is quick and decisive with the football.  But finally, the defense was able to keep him under control and we came away with a W.

5.  Bouye's INT was sweet!  I only wish he scored. 

6.  I thought Special teams played very well.  Aside from Lambo's FGs, the kick coverage was very good.  Nortman had a pretty good game, as did Mickens, who fielded some tricky punts and saved some field position.  But the other key play was Grant's fake punt.  This is the 2nd fake punt the team has run this year (3rd if you count preseason).  I've never seen a Jaguars coach so willing to run fake punts.

7.  Rookie Watch:
  • Leonard Fournette-was shut down today after his return.  After the game, Jaguars radio announcers were speculating whether or not Fournette was completely healthy.  I sincerely hope he is healthy.  We will need him to produce down the stretch.
  • Cam Robinson-Had his hands full with the Chargers' DEs.  I know he had a holding penalty (maybe two).
  • Dawaune Smoot-I don't remember him
  • DeDe Westbrook-DNP.  Given the way Hurns crawled off the field late in the game, we may need him to play next week.
  • Blair Brown-Do not remember him
  • Jalen Myrick-Do not recall him standing out
  • Keelan Cole-made some catches, but just missed a bomb.  He can get deep, and is getting better as the season progresses
8.  I thought Dareus had a good game.  Perhaps it's because he has a fresh start with a new team, but watching him today made me wonder what our visiting Bills fan was talking about when he called Dareus lazy.  Dareus chased a play down from behind, made another tackle in pursuit wide to the left.  I want to review the game, but I seem to recall him making an impressive play inside where he blew up the linemen to stuff the run.  As it stands, the two games we've had him here, we've done a good job defending the run.  Buffalo?  Not so much.

9.  I appreciate this team is winning.  I appreciate the enthusiasm and confidence that comes with November relevance and playoff contention.  But somehow we've got to curb the taunting.  I don't know if the team has developed/is developing a rep among officials for trash talk, but those two taunting penalties could have had devastating impact on us.

10.  Bottom line:  We managed to somehow, someway, find a way to win.  We finally vanquished Rivers and the Chargers.  We finally won on an even numbered week.  We finally won three straight.  We finally won two straight home games.  We finally won a close game.  We kept pace with the tacks.  But now we have to keep going.  The more we win, the more important the games are and the more we have to win.  This is true even against teams we are "supposed" to beat.  We can't afford to stumble against Clevelan.
"You can't measure a pass rush by the amount of sacks they get"
But but but Bortles wasn't bad at all.

We need a new QB, period. We have nothing better atm, but we need a new one for next season.
With the win, Doug Marrone has already amassed more wins in a season than Gus Bradley's BEST season with the Jaguars.
Great write-up as usual, but I disagree that it was the Chargers’ mistakes that lost the game. At least one passing TD should’ve been called back for flagrant fouls, and a dozen or so holding penalties should’ve been called. If the Jags don’t get held up on every play, then Rivers would’ve been shut out. This game is right up there with the officiating from the Green Bay game.
Jags had three bad drops as well. Cole for the TD. Mercedes for a big gainer, and Lee in OT which would have put us first and goal with a chance to push it in for the W. Almost the second OT game of the year that Lee cost us with a drop.
Lee is so average
Lee at this point would be a good slot 3rd option. He needs to get his head in the game.

I think it should be cole and Westbrook on the outsides with Lee in slot and hurnns in slot on 4 wr sets.

But they will go cole and lee outside, and probably put Westbrook in the slot.

We have talent, but they need to catch the dang ball in clutch times.
(11-13-2017, 05:28 AM)cdnjagfan14 Wrote: [ -> ]Lee at this point would be a good slot 3rd option. He needs to get his head in the game.

I think it should be cole and Westbrook on the outsides with Lee in slot and hurnns in slot on 4 wr sets.

But they will go cole and lee outside, and probably put Westbrook in the slot.

We have talent, but they need to catch the dang ball in clutch times.
When Hurns is healthy no way does Lee take Hurns spot in the slot
Lee's problem is consistency. On the third quarter TD drive he did great. Other than that it was something of a crap shoot as to whether he'd make the play. Also too much tendency from him to give up yards trying to make something happen. He needs to be more decisive and go.
You definitely notice that the air is different around here compared to years past, when wins start feeling like losses
Great analysis as usual Bullseye.

Regarding point #6 another thing that should be pointed out.  Tommy Bohanon and Tyler Shatley both did a fine job filling in when Matt Overton got injured.
Watching the replay of the Bouye INT, you can tell the D wanted to win the game. Previous years it would've been a token effort to break it up, but Benjamin comes down with the ball. AJ SNATCHED victory from the jaws of defeat on that one.
(11-13-2017, 02:07 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]

I believe it was Brown that was called for running into the kicker.
Our running game was pretty bad this game if it wasn't for the 50+ yard fake punt I am pretty sure we would have been under 100 yards or very close. Our pass rush I wish was a bit better yesterday, I know they caused a ton of throw aways by Rivers but I want SACKS Big Grin. HOW ABOUT THAT RUN D! Talk about improvement.

Shout out to Mickens tho, decent returning with little to no room. But that play where he came in when Hurns went down was fantastic. I doubt he even knew the play call. Ran a simple cross route and after he got the ball he went straight to the sidelines.
Smoot was the guy that hit Rivers low from behind when Yannick went high and hit him in the chest. Rivers flew up and landed hard on his back, great pass rush and pursuit on that play by Smoot

(11-13-2017, 08:54 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-13-2017, 02:07 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]

I believe it was Brown that was called for running into the kicker.

That was him
It was one of the weirdest and ugliest games I’ve ever seen. But then again it may have been our proverbial intense sacrifice to finally excise our Chargers demons
(11-13-2017, 05:15 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Lee is so average

Average? Average WRs lead the NFL in drops? You need to learn what the word average means. Not only is Lee a BELOW average WR.....he wouldn't be starting on any other team in the NFL with his hands.
We got lucky against a great defense and veteran quarterback yesterday. Despite sloppy play at times and poor officiating. We managed to pull it out in the end. Good teams find ways to overcome all odds and we did just that as a team.

Would really like to see what Westbrook can do now. It's been two weeks since he's been cleared to play. Maybe this kid can come in and elevate the receiving group by drawing attention off of Lee, Cole and Hurns. It wouldn't hurt to try.

Bortles regressed a little bit yesterday but I expected to see that. Why? Pretty easy. We were forced to abandon the ground game because it simply wasn't working. Every attempt was stone walled just about. And asking any passer to attempt close to fifty or more passes in a single game is a lot to ask.

His interceptions could have killed us. In all honesty. They probably should have killed us. But, you can also go back and look at Lee dropping some critical plays downfield that could have prevented these mistakes from happening. Lee's really, really hit or miss for me. Again, we miss Robinson BAD out there.

But, we'll see. Hopefully starting next Sunday in Cleveland they can work on getting that ground game back on track and maybe finding a way to work in Westbrook. With all of the issues the Browns have had this year. I honestly expect our defense to and ground game to dictate it in all four quarters and it shouldn't even be close.

Good teams don't mess around with struggling teams. I expect this team to put away the Browns quickly.
(11-13-2017, 09:22 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]We got lucky against a great defense and veteran quarterback yesterday. Despite sloppy play at times and poor officiating. We managed to pull it out in the end. Good teams find ways to overcome all odds and we did just that as a team.

Would really like to see what Westbrook can do now. It's been two weeks since he's been cleared to play. Maybe this kid can come in and elevate the receiving group by drawing attention off of Lee, Cole and Hurns. It wouldn't hurt to try.

Bortles regressed a little bit yesterday but I expected to see that. Why? Pretty easy. We were forced to abandon the ground game because it simply wasn't working. Every attempt was stone walled just about. And asking any passer to attempt close to fifty or more passes in a single game is a lot to ask.

His interceptions could have killed us. In all honesty. They probably should have killed us. But, you can also go back and look at Lee dropping some critical plays downfield that could have prevented these mistakes from happening. Lee's really, really hit or miss for me. Again, we miss Robinson BAD out there.

But, we'll see. Hopefully starting next Sunday in Cleveland they can work on getting that ground game back on track and maybe finding a way to work in Westbrook. With all of the issues the Browns have had this year. I honestly expect our defense to and ground game to dictate it in all four quarters and it shouldn't even be close.

Good teams don't mess around with struggling teams. I expect this team to put away the Browns quickly.

I hate to sound negative, but the Browns have given the Lions, Titans, and Steelers fits this year. We need to not overlook them at all
Pages: 1 2 3