Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Has That Ever Happened Before?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A QB on a team that is trailing throws 2 picks in the last 2 minutes and still comes back to win? Huh
Yikes. Tweet that question to one of the next gen stats guys on twitter and get back to us
Without wanting to pile on and make yet another replace the QB thread...

Another win, in spite of the QB.
Yeah, he had a good drive here and there... but another inconsistent day almost costs us (along with stupid penalties).

Although... another reshuffling of our OL probably didn't help. Bortles was harassed all day by the bolts pass rush. And we had minimal run game.

OT:
No... I don't think I can remember a QB being down with under 2 min to go, throws 2 INTs and gets completely bailed out by his defense twice.
Maybe in a Brett Favre game it did?
You need to look up the word inconsistent. 2 bad throws out of 50 is no where near inconsistent. Did the bad throws cost us yes. but claiming bb5 is inconsistent is not knowing what the word means. there is no QB that ever existed in the NFL who did not throw 1 or 2 bad balls in a game. There is no thing as 100 % perfect even in the best qb in the game. the bad oline play cause both those throws to be thrown early and he could not step into it. Same thing our DL does to other QBS. Why is it when we pressure the QB and force him to make a bad throw and we pick it off is it our awesome defense but when the other team does the exact same thing it is our QBs fault?
(11-13-2017, 10:39 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: [ -> ]You need to look up the word inconsistent. 2 bad throws out of 50 is no where near inconsistent. Did the bad throws cost us yes. but claiming bb5 is inconsistent is not knowing what the word means. there is no QB that ever existed in the NFL who did not throw 1 or 2 bad balls in a game. There is no thing as 100 % perfect even in the best qb in the game. the bad oline play cause both those throws to be thrown early and he could not step into it. Same thing our DL does to other QBS. Why is it when we pressure the QB and force him to make a bad throw and we pick it off is it our awesome defense but when the other team does the exact same thing it is our QBs fault?

2 INTs.  Numerous other passes that were bad.

Bortles has had a couple of decent games this year, but this wasn't one of them, especially not in the 4th, going 2 of 12 with 2 picks.  He had a number of balls that we're off target, some of which were WAY off.

As for your trailing question... Because we've seen 3+ years of it.  It's not something new.  The clean, effective Bortles games are the anomaly.

The defense bailed him out in an unreal way on Sunday.  No one I've talked to can ever recall a team throwing 2 INTs while behind with less than 2 min in the game still coming back to win.  Huge credit to out D, and Thanks to the Chargers super conservative playcalls!
(11-13-2017, 10:39 AM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: [ -> ]You need to look up the word inconsistent. 2 bad throws out of 50 is no where near inconsistent. Did the bad throws cost us yes. but claiming bb5 is inconsistent is not knowing what the word means. there is no QB that ever existed in the NFL who did not throw 1 or 2 bad balls in a game. There is no thing as 100 % perfect even in the best qb in the game. the bad oline play cause both those throws to be thrown early and he could not step into it. Same thing our DL does to other QBS. Why is it when we pressure the QB and force him to make a bad throw and we pick it off is it our awesome defense but when the other team does the exact same thing it is our QBs fault?

The fact is, there should have never been a gameplan that involves Blake Bortles throwing 51 Times. Period
I’m hard on Blake but the run game was stuffed, he had back ups on the line and had wideouts dropping passes. He still figured out how to make enough plays to stay in the game and put us in a position to win.

No third quarter drive and we lose. No drive to set up the last field goal and we lose. Thats all I can ask for. Make more plays than the other team and he did that.
2 bad throws?

That's it??

Shoot... what game was I watching?
Bortles had 2 INTs that were caught. He had at least 2 other passes that were should have been INTs and probably another 1 or 2 that were dangerous throws.
On top of that... he missed a couple throws while under pressure.

2 bad throws out of 50...c'mon.

2 bad throws? Yikes man. 

2 throws that directly hurt the team - one of which was an indescribably bad decision. At least another half dozen bad throws.
Was a rough game for Bortles and he averted multiple dropped interceptions before the 2 that were recorded. BB5 is a tough guy though and I can appreciate the hits he took and the fact he is what we have right now.
You could tell that Blake was pressing big time in the 4th quarter. I'm sure the pressure was getting to him and the play calling wasn't great, but he was still just trying to do too much in my eyes. I thought he played well for the first 3 quarters and the 4th quarter just starting pressing trying to win the game himself. Luckily we have a defense that bailed him out or the two INTs would be a much bigger story today.
(11-13-2017, 11:50 AM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]I’m hard on Blake but the run game was stuffed, he had back ups on the line and had wideouts dropping passes. He still figured out how to make enough plays to stay in the game and put us in a position to win.

No third quarter drive and we lose. No drive to set up the last field goal and we lose. Thats all I can ask for. Make more plays than the other team and he did that.

His int all came after back breaking penatlies or drops where he was trying to force it. You don't like it, but it was obvious that no one else was getting it done yesterday except the D.
(11-13-2017, 03:07 PM)SCJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]You could tell that Blake was pressing big time in the 4th quarter. I'm sure the pressure was getting to him and the play calling wasn't great, but he was still just trying to do too much in my eyes. I thought he played well for the first 3 quarters and the 4th quarter just starting pressing trying to win the game himself. Luckily we have a defense that bailed him out or the two INTs would be a much bigger story today.

I agree and I feel a good portion of his problems arise when he tries to do too much. At some point he has to realize he can’t throw up a prayer for the 10% chance it works when there’s a 90% chance it puts the team in an even bigger hole.
(11-13-2017, 03:18 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-13-2017, 03:07 PM)SCJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]You could tell that Blake was pressing big time in the 4th quarter. I'm sure the pressure was getting to him and the play calling wasn't great, but he was still just trying to do too much in my eyes. I thought he played well for the first 3 quarters and the 4th quarter just starting pressing trying to win the game himself. Luckily we have a defense that bailed him out or the two INTs would be a much bigger story today.

I agree and I feel a good portion of his problems arise when he tries to do too much. At some point he has to realize he can’t throw up a prayer for the 10% chance it works when there’s a 90% chance it puts the team in an even bigger hole.

Call it the victim of his own 2015 success where he hit too many times on those wing and a prayer throws.  Takes time to break that out of your system.  Honestly the WR's could catch the better throws to build up his confidence and eliminate the need to be living on a prayer.
2 Ints was part of the game plan. The strategy to get the Chargers to run up the middle in attempt to kill the clock worked perfectly. Had we scored early, SD would have kicked a FG to beat us.
(11-13-2017, 04:35 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]2 Ints was part of the game plan.  The strategy to get the Chargers to run up the middle in attempt to kill the clock worked perfectly.  Had we scored early, SD would have kicked a FG to beat us.

Smart thinking
Some of you on here have a severe case of stockholm syndrome when it comes to Bortles.
(11-13-2017, 04:36 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]Some of you on here have a severe case of stockholm syndrome when it comes to Bortles.

Bortles has held them captive against their will and now they are falling in love with him?
(11-13-2017, 04:54 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-13-2017, 04:36 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]Some of you on here have a severe case of stockholm syndrome when it comes to Bortles.

Bortles has held them captive against their will and now they are falling in love with him?
I’m using a very liberal definition of it but if there’s a better descriptor for those that blindly defend the indefensible play of a sports figure (who has contributed to abusing this fanbase’s emotions), feel free to substitute it here.
Pages: 1 2