Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Which of these is tiebreaking procedures for teams that win division w/ same record?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Let's say out of the 1-4 seeds that win their division in a conference, maybe two or three have the same record. Which of these show the steps thatĀ breaks that tie to show which has the highest seeding? I just forgot.

http://www.nfl.com/standings/tiebreakingprocedures

Is it #3 under "Other Tie Breaking Procedures" which then tells you to refer back to "Wild Card Tie-Breakers"? If so, that says to determine "homefield priority" though? I'm just wondering for seeding purposes.

That make sense? Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry Mods, just realized I put this in the wrong forum. Please feel free to move it!
I believe for what you're asking... the first tie breaker would be head to head matchup

If it was, for example, us and the chiefs finishing with 11 wins, head to head would not apply.
Next would be conference record (who has the better AFC w/l)
And then common games (minimum of 4)
then strength of victory (pf vs pa, im guessing)
Yeah, I'm saying let's say 2 teams won their each separate division but have the same record. Which of those listed from that website would it fall under to determine who is the 2 seed or who is the 3 seed, for example. So Kane, you are just saying it would fall under "Two or Three Clubs to Break a Tie for the Wild Card Team category"? So like I mentioned, it would be #3 under "Other Tie Breaking Procedures?" But why does it say only to determine home field priority only?
(11-13-2017, 02:28 PM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, I'm saying let's say 2 teams won their each separate division but have the same record. Which of those listed from that website would it fall under to determine who is the 2 seed or who is the 3 seed, for example. So Kane, you are just saying it would fall under "Two or Three Clubs to Break a Tie for the Wild Card Team category"? So like I mentioned, it would be #3 under "Other Tie Breaking Procedures?" But why does it say only to determine home field priority only?
Homefield priority is the seeding.
They word it kinda funny it seems. But essentially, two teams from separate divisions use Wild Card tie breakers to break a tie, giving the winner the home field advantage (seed 2 over seed 3)
(11-13-2017, 02:40 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-13-2017, 02:28 PM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, I'm saying let's say 2 teams won their each separate division but have the same record. Which of those listed from that website would it fall under to determine who is the 2 seed or who is the 3 seed, for example. So Kane, you are just saying it would fall under "Two or Three Clubs to Break a Tie for the Wild Card Team category"? So like I mentioned, it would be #3 under "Other Tie Breaking Procedures?" But why does it say only to determine home field priority only?
Homefield priority is the seeding.
They word it kinda funny it seems. But essentially, two teams from separate divisions use Wild Card tie breakers to break a tie, giving the winner the home field advantage (seed 2 over seed 3)

Perfect, that's what I thought. I was just confused why they used the "home field advantage" wording because if it's between a 3 and a 4 seed, that's not necessarily homefield advantage if both get homefield in their first matchup against the wildcard seeds.

Thanks so much for your help! By the way, everytime I see you post...I think of the Big Red Machine. Going back to my childhood wrestling memories Big Grin
(11-13-2017, 04:38 PM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-13-2017, 02:40 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]Homefield priority is the seeding.

Perfect, that's what I thought. I was just confused why they used the "home field advantage" wording because if it's between a 3 and a 4 seed, that's not necessarily homefield advantage if both get homefield in their first matchup against the wildcard seeds.

Thanks so much for your help! By the way, everytime I see you post...I think of the Big Red Machine. Going back to my childhood wrestling memories Big Grin

Funny you should mention...
Back in my much younger years I was apart of backyard wrestling federations. We even got some of our footage put onto nationally released "Backyard Criminals"
I went by the name "Kris Kane" which was partially inspired via the Big Red Machine.

Ahhh the good ol days... I haven't followed wrestling closely in years... but that attitude era of WWE/WWF was the bees knees.
(11-13-2017, 04:45 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-13-2017, 04:38 PM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]Perfect, that's what I thought. I was just confused why they used the "home field advantage" wording because if it's between a 3 and a 4 seed, that's not necessarily homefield advantage if both get homefield in their first matchup against the wildcard seeds.

Funny you should mention...
Back in my much younger years I was apart of backyard wrestling federations. We even got some of our footage put onto nationally released "Backyard Criminals"
I went by the name "Kris Kane" which was partially inspired via the Big Red Machine.

Ahhh the good ol days... I haven't followed wrestling closely in years... but that attitude era of WWE/WWF was the bees knees.

That's awesome man! Yeah, I miss being a kid. Anyways, thanks again for the help! I really appreciate it.