Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Best defense of all time?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I don't know anything pre 90's football, but can anyone name any defenses in the history of the league that look better than this defense through 10 games? The only ones I can think of would be Pittsburgh / Chicago but idk we look to be historically good on both paper (stats) and using the eye test. Stats websites are saying the Jags are clearly better than the LOB's best year so I'd say that has to be up there for all time.
Ravens were better.

Seahawks too.
All time? No. The Ravens and 4 shutouts in 2000

I think we might be top 5 though, not as good as that 02 Bucs D either. Yet anyway
2000 Ravens
(11-19-2017, 05:14 PM)SuperJville Wrote: [ -> ]Ravens were better.  

Seahawks too.

Seahawks weren't actually, I already mentioned that in my post. Statistically we're ahead of the Legion of Boom's best year. 

Ravens though, yeah that's a tough one to dispute I guess.
(11-19-2017, 05:16 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]All time?  No.  The Ravens and 4 shutouts in 2000

I think we might be top 5 though, not as good as that 02 Bucs D either.  Yet anyway

Different era, back before the NFL went pass interference call happy. I don't know that I'm ready to say the Jaguars defense is the best of all time, but they're not dealing with the same situation that the Ravens of 2000 were allowed to deal with.
We have to be top 5 all time so far for the year. This defense would destroy the Henderson/Stroud/Peterson defense easily.
Early 90's Eagles had more pure talent but I think the Jags are the best of all time.
(11-19-2017, 05:18 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2017, 05:16 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]All time?  No.  The Ravens and 4 shutouts in 2000

I think we might be top 5 though, not as good as that 02 Bucs D either.  Yet anyway

Different era, back before the NFL went pass interference call happy. I don't know that I'm ready to say the Jaguars defense is the best of all time, but they're not dealing with the same situation that the Ravens of 2000 were allowed to deal with.

See that makes it seem like the Jags are better then because for how good and physical they are they rarely get any pass interference calls, and when they do, it's usually suspect. This defense is the cleanest I've ever seen. It makes Chicago's defense with Urlacher look mild.
(11-19-2017, 05:18 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]

Ok
I’d say we’re top 5 in the post mid 2000s rule changes era. When they basically said screw you to the defenses of the leagues and have Peyton Manning and the Colts what they wanted.
Yea it's really hard to compare to teams from earlier era's. The 85 Bears were great but wouldnt be nearly as effective in today's game. Teams would spread them out like Marino did and they'd be picked apart.

The 2000 Ravens were the best I've ever seen. Even with today's rules I think they would be great. Just had great players are nearly every position. That secondary coupled with the pass rush would be a bear. Even today. Only gave up 23 points in 4 playoff games. Crazy good.
Hahaha please wait till the end of the season. A lot can happen still and we are playing some serious journeyman and rookie quarterbacks as well. I think this is the best Jaguars defense because we have a serious secondary. We haven't been in a situation where even out nickel back is playing at a high level.
How about the tackle by Poz on Kizer. Poz made a great tackle last week too where he ran down about 30 yards and tackled they guy.
Possibly, but they have to win a superbowl first. All of the great defenses did.

Also, Jimmy Smith is the 2000 Ravens daddy.
(11-19-2017, 06:19 PM)Kcirred Wrote: [ -> ]Possibly, but they have to win a superbowl first.  All of the great defenses did.

Also, Jimmy Smith is the 2000 Ravens daddy.

this
Do not forget the 2002 bucs. That defense shut down the "greatest show on turf" I think the rams won that nfl championship game 9-6 if I remember right.
(11-19-2017, 06:28 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]Do not forget the 2002 bucs.  That defense shut down the "greatest show on turf"  I think the rams won that nfl championship game 9-6 if I remember right.

Was going to say them. A rally good unit, Warren Sapp and someone who's name escapes me up front, they had Simeon Rice on the edge, Brooks was a monster that year at LB and Lynch and Barber in the backfield. They were mot only tough to score on but the D scored a lot of points aswell.

The Ravens 2000 D is the best i've seen. Just a wall. Siragusa up front, Lewis was crazy, crazy, good and they had McAllister and Woodson.

The thing i'd take is the Bucs won with Brad Johnson at QB and the Ravens Trent Dilfer. They just made enough plays, that's what we need Bortles to do this season.
Since it's been 10 games now and not just a few, I'm all on board 100% with this dirty defense. I've seen more than enough.

Really the only thing I have to wonder at this point is how long can this defense stay healthy with the way they play (It's been a miracle) and can they make up for the ineptness that is the offense in critical times like a playoff game? I personally feel as if the team is going to be a one and done in the playoffs just to gain some experience then next year after nabbing a QB will hopefully unleash true destruction on the rest of the league where the offense can score as well as the defense.

(11-19-2017, 06:28 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]Do not forget the 2002 bucs.  That defense shut down the "greatest show on turf"  I think the rams won that nfl championship game 9-6 if I remember right.
Pages: 1 2