Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Impressions From the Browns Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
With the tacks losing in Pittsburgh, going into this game, the Jaguars had the chance to seize sole possession of first place in the AFC South.  However, a couple of incendiary quotes from Tashaun Gipson and DeDe Westbrook and the Jaguars found themselves with something of a trap game against the win less Browns.  Would this team have enough talent and maturity to back up the talk and take care of business?  Fortunately so.  Here are my thoughts...

1.  Bortles did not have an overly good game.  Part of that was due to the elements.  Part of that was due to the receivers being banged up.  Part of that was due to the pressure the browns put on him.  But Bortles made some dangerous throws in an attempt to get rid of the ball he should not have made.  He also had a fumble.  But he will have to step up his game if this team is to go as far as we hope.

2.  I haven't seen the box scores or highlights from the other games, but I have to think that Yannick Ngakoue has to be a strong candidate for Defensive player of the week with his 2.5 sacks and not one, not two, but three forced fumbles.  His second forced fumble led to a Jaguars recovery that should have been another Fowler TD, and his third forced fumble was recovered for a TD by Telvin Smith (who, BTW, had an excellent game of his own accounting for two Browns turnovers).  I've been waiting for Ngakoue to have another explosive game like this, and he came through in fine style for us today.

3.  The injuries, while not catastrophic, are starting to be exasperating.  I hope we can get healthy fast.  Our offense is really being impacted by them.

4.  Like last week, I had an issue with the officiating.  Rookie WR Dede Westbrook was robbed of a catch along the right sideline that negated a first down.  He clearly had possession of the ball the whole time and had both feet in bounds.  But the refs upheld the original erroneous incomplete call saying he couldn't confirm he had control of the ball, in a call so bad, even Marrone seemed to chuckle incredulously.  They had a phantom holding call on Cann where even Lofton questioned it.  As I referenced above, once again, the defense was wrongly deprived of a TD by a quick whistle, and Kizer was ruled to have been out of bounds when he hit in bounds, giving the Browns another six seconds right before the two minute warning.  I sure hope that as our games get more important down the stretch, we'll get better officiating, because today was bad.

5.  Even though the team as a whole is getting more consistent, Special teams continue to have their issues.  Nortman had at least two bad punts.  Mickens had a nice game overall, but did bobble a punt.  The kickoff coverage team allowed a long return on the opening kickoff, and blew a surprise on sides kick by being off sides.  In fairness, they did recover a bobbled punt by Jabril Peppers.  But this team will have to improve on special teams play for this team to win the division and advance in the playoffs.

6.  The Jaguars run defense continues to be very good since the arrival of Marcel Dareus.  He had another play where he threw off a blocker who engaged him to shut down a running play.  The Browns running game was reduced to mere nuisance status at best.

7.  Rookie Watch:
  • Leonard Fournette had over 100 yards rushing and looked healthy until the end of the game when he seemed to tweak the ankle again.
  • Cam Robinson had possibly the worst outing of his career, as he had all he could handle against top overall pick Myles Garrett.  He has gone against two very good DEs in Melvin Ingram and Garrett.  I wonder if it was the competition, if he's hitting the proverbial "rookie wall," or some combination of the above.
  • Dawaune Smoot-had an impressive stop of a running play.  It was a TFL or at least of minimal gain.
  • Dede Westbrook-made his much anticipated rookie debut and flashed some ability.  He separated deep down the left sideline on his first ever catch, a 29 yard play.  As referenced above, he was robbed of a catch along the sideline that would have given the Jaguars a first down.  He also had some bad moments like the fumble.  He did not have the 200 yards receiving he felt he would have, but he definitely showed some ability.  I think he will help this passing game down the stretch.
  • Blair Brown-I don't think he played.
  • Jalen Myrick-DNP
  • Keelan Cole-did not have much impact.  Had a reception or two, but was a non factor after getting his ribs banged up when he fell on a crossing route.
8.  What in the world was that option all about?  They need to never call that play again.

9.  Bottom line: It was ugly in many respects, but the end result was very nice.  We won a game that many felt was a trap game against a team we should have beaten. The pass rush returned and created turnovers again.  Fournette returned to the form that excited us for most of the year pre injury. We wound up sweeping Ohio and the AFC North, for an unofficial AFC North championship, not allowing any of their teams more than a TD in any of the games.  Most importantly, we capitalized on the tacks loss and took a game lead against them in the division.  Hopefully we can get healthier next week and continue to win against Arizona.
I thought bortles did decent. Another great deep pass to lee he couldn't reel in.

Watching an actual bad qb on the other team should give us perspective
Terrible qb again......
It's the kind of game that make me want to draft a stud OL in first round.
(11-19-2017, 06:01 PM)lastonealive Wrote: [ -> ]I thought bortles did decent. Another great deep pass to lee he couldn't reel in.

Lee was clearly interfered with.  The refs screwed us on that one, too.  The defender grabbed his arm and held onto it before the ball got there. He had to try a one hand catch because he only had one hand free.
Fair enough but he hasn't shown any ability in catching a deep pass. He seems to only be able to make catches when facing the qb.
Honestly this is a better offense then we have had in I can't remember. Everything looked like awful last year. The coaches are clearly work with a reliance on defense and it is hard not to blame them. After 2 Picks last week I would take the air out as well. Sometimes you have to get through issues.
Bortles sucks
Special teams gaffs and penalties were a major issue to me.

As was the performance of the makeshift offensive line.

If we can get healthy on that O-Line and coach up the ST errors, this team can compete with anyone.

P.S. - This defense will not be denied. It's a special group of guys that doesn't quit.
Adding Dareus seems to have put the performance over the top. They were a great pass defense that had run gaffes like crazy, not they're pretty damn solid, just need to stop missing tackles to let teams into games.
Defense is playing so well that it feels wrong when the other team scores. We are spoiled. Definitely sitting back and enjoying. I do hope the offense gets better.
(11-19-2017, 06:13 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2017, 06:01 PM)lastonealive Wrote: [ -> ]I thought bortles did decent. Another great deep pass to lee he couldn't reel in.

Lee was clearly interfered with.  The refs screwed us on that one, too.  The defender grabbed his arm and held onto it before the ball got there.  He had to try a one hand catch because he only had one hand free.

Yup. Lee's arm was definitely being held down by the CB. Plus, the ball hit Lee's facemask on it's way down. 

I would've been astonished if Lee hauled that pass in with only one arm after a ricochet off the facemask.
I liked what fournette showed. He played well despite clearly still feeling rough with his ankle
I swear if it wasnt for the drops every week on big plays, bortles wouuld have a little extra confidence (not saying he has a lack of or anything)

It always seems like he plays alright till a big drop, then he just stops trusting(lee) his recievers. Or its the coaches I dont know.

But he wasnt really that bad today. Not great, not even good, but he did enough, and thats enough.
The single greatest takeaway from this game, ZER0 crap taunting crap resulting in penalties.

I usually like these threads, but I feel you are nitpicking.

Bad weather, jacked up opponent, these Jags pulled out a great victory. 7-3, just awesome.
(11-19-2017, 08:05 PM)DrNova Wrote: [ -> ]I swear if it wasnt for the drops every week on big plays, bortles wouuld have a little extra confidence (not saying he has a lack of or anything)

It always seems like he plays alright till a big drop, then he just stops trusting(lee) his recievers.  Or its the coaches I dont know.  

But he wasnt really that bad today.  Not great, not even good, but he did enough, and thats enough.

I can't blame Bortles today. The Jags rarely passed on first down. Many of Bortles' pass attempts were on 3rd and long, and Gregg Williams dialed up some nice blitzes. The OL didn't exactly distinguish themselves in pass blocking (or run blocking for that matter).

That's not to mention at least one obvious pass interference on the Lee pass discussed above, and there were probably others.
Yeah a couple of batted balls and a fumble where he had no time in the snow isnt a bad game. He actually has shown really good deep ball accuracy the last couple of games.
(11-19-2017, 08:23 PM)H8tank Wrote: [ -> ]The single greatest takeaway from this game, ZER0 crap taunting crap resulting in penalties.

I usually like these threads, but I feel you are nitpicking.  

Bad weather, jacked up opponent, these Jags pulled out a great victory. 7-3, just awesome.

I am assuming you are referring to me.

If so, what did I nitpick?
Well, at least we know they can overcome adversity, brought on by things outside of their control (officiating, weather).

Good practice in case we need to travel up to a frozen tundra for a playoff game
"The Browns running game was reduced to mere nuisance status at best."

Mere nuisance status. Classic. +1
Pages: 1 2