Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Tight ends
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Remember when we thought the was a strength for this team? Now they're holding us back honestly, marcedes is a good guy but he's not exactly a mismatch for anyone and Julius got slow and fat. Do you guys think we need to try and get Julius in shape, or do you guys think it's a lost cause and that we need to see what koyack has with meaningful snaps or draft a guy early in the draft.

I just think with the rise of guys like Travis Kelce, and Gronk and players like them have been tearing up the league with their catching ability and more importantly their blocking.

The reason I bring this up just points out something that I think Hackett needs to fix, and that was the stubbornness to try and keep using Thomas as a blocker, if the play is a run he gets blown up every time and it affects the play action as well because teams know they can blow don't have to respect him as a blocker as well as a receiver because he is out of shape. I'd personally like to use koyack more and make Julius go to Mma classes like Lewis did to get that chubby [BLEEP] in shape
TE might be the least concerning unit on offense if you ask me.

Although, if we can, I'd dump JT this offseason.
Julius Thomas is not being used like he needs to... Not his fault... Dont matter who u put in, in a system like this they are gonna fail.
JT gets open alot just never seems to be thrown his way.

How the heck could you tell?  Between the quit and poor coaching, how can you tell?

Quote:How the heck could you tell?  Between the quit and poor coaching, how can you tell?

Good question.
I blame it taking Bortles 4 seconds to make a throw and the coaching staff doesn't know how to utilize a TE like him

I don't think the TE spot is that bad. They've made some mistakes, but I think more of it is on the O-Line and QB play. From what I've seen Bortles does not throw the ball high enough for them. The passes go too low. Plus he throws them the ball when they're severly  covered. Not going to end well.

Yeah I don't see what you're seeing. Marcedes Lewis is over-the-hill and he's always been a reliable run blocker. Julius Thomas I think has been held back in this offense from a systematic point of view but he's honestly bailed Bortles out quite a few times this year already with some really poorly placed footballs within his reach. And he's also been missed once or twice when he was able to get separation in the red-zone on some nice looking routes. I am honestly more concerned with the [BAD WORD REMOVED] poor run blocking and the inaccuracy of our quarterback in addition with dropped passes from our receivers so far this year. Tight end is probably the LEAST concerning position on offense in my eyes. 

Saw the title and thought it was a thread about the cheerleaders.  Sorry, I'm outta here.

Quote:TE might be the least concerning unit on offense if you ask me.

And get who
Quote:TE might be the least concerning unit on offense if you ask me.

Double post sorry
Quote:And get who

A TE that can block and catch 30 passes a year.

I'd rather pay the young WR trio than keep JT.
Quote:A TE that can block and catch 30 passes a year.

Depending on what we got for him I wouldn't be opposed.  However he would be a very valuable weapon if two things would happen.  1. Bortles would at least play average football and 2. We could find some form of a running game.  He's already open quite a bit now without the offense functioning worth a darn.
Put JT in Pittsburgh or New England or even Oakland and he's on pace for 1000+ yards and 10 TDs. Here he's just a big waste to a staff that just doesn't know how to use him. Does he ever run seam routes? One would think to use him that way to help draw safety coverage off ARob but that's just me....
Quote:A TE that can block and catch 30 passes a year.

Well unbeknownst to Bortles he's making ARob's contract more affordable by the game.
Quote:Put JT in Pittsburgh or New England or even Oakland and he's on pace for 1000+ yards and 10 TDs. Here he's just a big waste to a staff that just doesn't know how to use him. Does he ever run seam routes? One would think to use him that way to help draw safety coverage off ARob but that's just me....

With or without Gronk? With Gronk would be insane.
Honestly I'm not concerned with either of the starters. Marcedes is what he is and that's a solid #2 TE. His blocking isn't what it used to be, but he's consistently catching balls when thrown his way. Julius's numbers are a bit disappointing, but Blake worst passes seem to be to him. He'd have a couple more TD catches and long receptions if the passes were on target.

It all starts with the O line and the QB.

Thomas is a good pass catching TE thats comes from a team used to winning.
Pages: 1 2