Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Offense Has to Get Better
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
7-3 is great, but as Mike DiRocco said, this is not sustainable unless we get better offense. 

One thing I question: our offensive line yesterday was Robinson-Reed-Linder-Cann-Wells.  Where is Shatley?  He isn't injured as far as I know.  He's our 6th best lineman, and our top substitute interior lineman.   Can we get him in there?   And how long are we going to be without Omameh and Parnell?   Not to mention Hurns.  

Our offense is starting to look like it looked in preseason.   I know injuries are taking a heavy toll on that side of the ball, but unless we get some better offense, we will not keep winning games.
Meh, hard to judge the offense in that weather.

Cleveland has a solid defense and Fournette seemed to have no issues running pretty well and Bortles was throwing some good passes. Then you have the ridiculous Westbrook"non-catch" which would have been huge for the offense as well.
Cleveland was a matchup problem from hell. Important thing was that they got the W
This was the second straight week we played a losing team and only scored one TD on offense.
Well when your second half scheme is 1st down run gain 1 - 2 yards. 2nd down run gain 1 - 2 yards. 3rd and long pass.

When you play call the same thing over and over you will not move the ball.
All we need on offense is no turnovers and a handful of key 3rd downs converted. 14 points should be enough most games down the stretch. 

That said I think there are a few things we could do to make our offense better. 

First off I think you can use playaction to better effect. When you run as much as we do more playaction plays, even if they fail , will slow down defenders flowing to the ball.  Even if you hit a playaction and check down after it can be quite beneficial. 

I know you don't want Bortles getting hit but a few more RPOs could be very effective.  Even if they don't get a ton of yards they can help fix a defender down the line and spring Fournette free.  

Few more screen passes to the backs wouldn't hurt either, for the same reasons as above. Perhaps when the line is back fully healthy we'll see more.  

And then finally we seems to win on crossers alot. It's Lee's best route and relatively safe for Blake to throw. Dede once he gets going will be a killer on them. 

Small adjustments but could yield big results. As I said all we need is a handful of big plays on offense to beat teams.
The last two weeks it was more about ball control and imposing the Jags will. You could tell they wanted to force teams to play a certain style, safer if you will. Look at the time of possession for the last two games as proof. These games were more about not losing than trying hard to win if that makes sense. I don't really think we can put struggles on Blake or the line. This is strictly about coaching and the play calling. I believe this staff does have some trust issues and are quick to give up on a situation that doesn't work perfect the first time. Unlike staffs in the past, we don't recycle plays very often. Both a blessing and a curse. Sometimes you need to go back to the well so to speak.
Injuries are what's hampering the offense. 

I know; we all hear the "every team has them" and "next man up" cliches all the time.  But, the O-line is truly in bad shape right now, and missing the Allens at WR hurts bad. 

The offense is gonna suck until some key pieces get back healthy. It's true. It "is what it is."

The 3rd down conversion rate for the last 2 games has been absolutely ABYSMAL. They looked great on 3rd downs vs Cincy, but since have taken a nosedive in that regard.

Until the O-line gets healthy,, the Jags as a team are still in good shape with the defense and kicking game they're sporting. All the offense has to do is not make key, dumb turnovers and the Jags will still win games.

They're gonna need a healthy/good O-line for the playoffs though. If they do get healthy, man, the Jags really could go deep.
(11-20-2017, 09:27 AM)Browntrouser Wrote: [ -> ]Well when your second half scheme is 1st down run gain 1 - 2 yards. 2nd down run gain 1 - 2 yards. 3rd and long pass.

When you play call the same thing over and over you will not move the ball.
Why do you think they do that? It's because of Bortles limitations. How many of his yards come from crossing routes? How many times does he hit WRs in stride over the middle?

They're not asking him to do much because they are relying on their defense to make a play and change field position or outright score a TD. Jags are going to need him to really finish strong here in these last 6 games.
As said repeatedly in this thread and several others.

The offense has enough horses. They just need to get healthy before the calendar reads "2018."

Getting Parnell and Omameh back will aid the running game - which will in turn compliment the pass.
Who here. Has tried to make football plays in 35 mph winds? How bout slick snow to add to that?