Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Run Defense
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We're up to 17th since adding Dareus, allowing:

29 to Cincy
87 to LAC
50 to Cleveland

Those three games, I'd say we've been top 10 in the league since the bye, but haven't dug that deep into the research.
There is clearly improvement. Next up Adrien Peterson
Over the past four games they allowed an average of 63 yards per game.
(11-20-2017, 09:27 AM)Browntrouser Wrote: [ -> ]There is clearly improvement. Next up Adrien Peterson
A older and much slower AP.
(11-20-2017, 09:27 AM)Browntrouser Wrote: [ -> ]There is clearly improvement. Next up Adrien Peterson

AP had a whole 26 yards on 14 carries against the Texans...we should shut him down.

Hopefully a healthy Ivory (illness) and Parnell/Omameh coming back we can grind the running game and get more than the 120+ the Cards D gave up to Houston.
It’s crazy. I was think by the end of the year we could possibly get to top 15 in the run defense standings. We may legit get to top 8
(11-20-2017, 10:37 AM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: [ -> ]It’s crazy. I was think by the end of the year we could possibly get to top 15 in the run defense standings. We may legit get to top 8

Could happen...

AZ is the 31st ranked rushing O
Indy is 23rd
Seattle 26th
SF is 21st

Only remaining dominant rushing teams we have are Houston/Tenn...

Houston just lost Foreman..and we only gave up 94 to them including 16 by Watson...don't see Savage running much
Our run D wasn't ever as bad as it seemed, imo.
A couple runs VS the Jets really skewed things. Also the Ravens giving up at the end of the London game where they just ran the ball against our prevent D.

I mean.. you can't take away those runs (and the tacks actually did a solid job on us, especially late) but the fluky Jets runs and the Ravens game definitely skewed the numbers. And without those really big chunk plays we're really a top 5/10 unit at every level of the D I think.
Dareus has made it better
Up to 16th, just passed Atl
(11-21-2017, 01:14 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]Up to 16th, just passed Atl

Yep. All indicators are pointing upward for the run defense. When your opponents can't run or pass on you, it makes winning games a little easier. I could see a top 10 run d by week 17. This year we have a really good shot at super bowl, the defense and run game are there. Just play mistake free and we could easily go to the big game this year.
(11-20-2017, 10:23 AM)Teal Time Radio Wrote: [ -> ]
A older and much slower AP.

Adrian Peterson can still get lose on you. Peterson at 4.34 speed vs Peterson at 4.39 speed. Yes he is older and slower.
But he can still play. 

Powell ain't no All-Pro and he broke lose on a long TD run and it broke our back in that game.

It's not like we can say "oh, up next Adrian Peterson....Oh well we don't need to even suit up"
Someone posted this in the Dareus thread (it's from twitter):

Jaguars run defense pre-Marcel Dareus trade:
Yards/game: 138.6 (30th in NFL)
Yards/carry: 5.16 (32nd)

Since the trade:
Yards/game: 55.3 (1st)
Yards/carry: 2.55 (2nd)
(11-21-2017, 08:20 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-20-2017, 10:23 AM)Teal Time Radio Wrote: [ -> ]A older and much slower AP.

Adrian Peterson can still get lose on you. Peterson at 4.34 speed vs Peterson at 4.39 speed. Yes he is older and slower.
But he can still play. 

Powell ain't no All-Pro and he broke lose on a long TD run and it broke our back in that game.

It's not like we can say "oh, up next Adrian Peterson....Oh well we don't need to even suit up"

Not even remotely worried about AP. The one decent game he had, he carried the ball close to 40 times for around 140 yards I believe...that's a little better than 3 yards a carry.

That was before Blaine gabbert was their starting qb....and our defense is better than the tinhorns.
Arizona cant run block David Johnson probably the greatest player to ever play the game no one else can do anything behind that line.
Arizona is currently in 10th place in yards-per-game average at 101.4. In order for the Jags to break into the top 10, they would need to have an average of about 100 ypg. That equates to 1600 yards for the season ( 1600 divided by 16 games = 100ypg). We’ve allowed 1136 yards thru 10 games. That means we can only allow 464 more rushing yards in our final 6 games, or about 77 per game, on average.
(11-21-2017, 12:07 PM)myrick31 Wrote: [ -> ]Arizona cant run block David Johnson probably the greatest player to ever play the game no one else can do anything behind that line.
Dude.... what?

Your sentence makes no sense but if I read it correctly, you said David Johnson is the greatest to ever play the game?
(11-21-2017, 08:41 AM)jagfanthrutherottenyears Wrote: [ -> ]Someone posted this in the Dareus thread (it's from twitter):

Jaguars run defense pre-Marcel Dareus trade:
Yards/game: 138.6 (30th in NFL)
Yards/carry: 5.16 (32nd)

Since the trade:
Yards/game: 55.3 (1st)
Yards/carry: 2.55 (2nd)

I'm too lazy to do the calculations on the Bills, but I'd venture to say it's about the opposite.
I'm not worried about the season ranking as we didn't have Dareus all season. I think the rankings since the Dareus trade would be more telling. I'm sure we're top 10 since he arrived and perhaps even top 5.

Best I could find quickly was this site which does a "Last 3 games" column:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/op...s-per-game

Jags Run D is number 1 over the last 3 games giving up only 55.3 yards on the ground per game over that stretch which is precisely how long Dareus has been here.

Bills are ranked 32nd over the past 3 games giving up 212.7 per game over that stretch. Hmmm...

Can we get a comment from Billsfan1212? You can't make this stuff up. Guy comes here after the trade to explain that a 6th rounder to get rid of the contract of a lazy, good for nothing was great value. Meanwhile their playoff hopes are fading fast and their run D no longer exists and ours is now best in the league since the trade. Sorry, I can't stop chuckling.
(11-21-2017, 04:16 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not worried about the season ranking as we didn't have Dareus all season.  I think the rankings since the Dareus trade would be more telling.  I'm sure we're top 10 since he arrived and perhaps even top 5.

Best I could find quickly was this site which does a "Last 3 games" column:

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/op...s-per-game

Jags Run D is number 1 over the last 3 games giving up only 55.3 yards on the ground per game over that stretch which is precisely how long Dareus has been here.

Bills are ranked 32nd over the past 3 games giving up 212.7 per game over that stretch.  Hmmm...

Can we get a comment from Billsfan1212?  You can't make this stuff up.  Guy comes here after the trade to explain that a 6th rounder to get rid of the contract of a lazy, good for nothing was great value.  Meanwhile their playoff hopes are fading fast and their run D no longer exists and ours is now best in the league since the trade.  Sorry, I can't stop chuckling.
He's just going to tell you that the front office's plan is not to have meaningless wins. They're rebuilding. Serious.
Pages: 1 2