Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: These Nuggets from Peter King
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Quote: 

6. I think I’m not sure which was worse Thursday night:

a. The uniforms of the Jacksonville Jaguars, caramel and putrid and nearly diarrhea-shaded.

b. The play of the Jacksonville Jaguars, uninspired and not at all befitting their skill.

c. The effort of the Jacksonville Jaguars, lackluster and inconsistent.

7. I think Gus Bradley, obviously, is going to pay for the 14-41 record and the current state of the team with his job. But it was stunning to see so many good players come up so small Thursday night in Nashville. I though it was the worst performance by any NFL team in a game this year. And that’s not something a very patient owner, Shad Khan, will take for long. He told the Florida Times Union after the game in which the Jags fell behind 27-0 at the half and lost 36-23 (deceiving; very deceiving): “Actions speak louder than words. Very little for me to say.” By the way, if I were Khan and son Tony Khan, the team’s senior VP, I’d probably hire the best offensive mind and teacher out there—but one who would have a specific and dynamic defensive boss in mind. No way I’d hire a head coach on the offensive side of the ball unless he had the ability to bring in a strong defensive guy alongside him. When Doug Pederson convinced Jim Schwartz to be his defensive coordinator in Philadelphia, it was a huge part of his staff equation. Points allowed were down from 27 last year to 15 entering Sunday night’s game, yards allowed down from 402 per game to 307. So whether the Jags take a liking to Josh McDaniels or Todd Haley or Kyle Shanahan or whoever, I’d want to know whether my defensive leader can settle down Jalen Ramsey and make sure Dante Fowler morphs into the player he was drafted to be—though in fairness to Fowler, he has had some shining moments a year after ACL surgery. Last Jag point: the mantra around the organization last year, one of them anyway, was about improving a horrible third-down conversion rate on defense. Jacksonville’s defense allowed 46.3 percent conversion last year. It’s 46.7 percent this year.
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/10/31/oakla...peter-king

Teflon Bradley, still here. He reminds me of the most fun little league coaches I had as a kid. No drills, no strategy, just go out there and have some fun, pizza party afterward.
We already know we are the joke of the NFL
Quote:We already know we are the joke of the NFL
I think if we played right now, Cleveland would beat us.
Quote:I think if we played right now, Cleveland would beat us.

They definitely will.

It's a distinct possibility. Still I think it might be much like the Chicago game where the sheer talent difference allows for the possibility of the Jaguars winning. The unfocused talent on the team is significant,a great head coach would instantly add 4-5 wins to the season total.
Hey now, we know coaching doesn't matter. This is all dumb, drunk, fat, BBINLolBbq#$%*!'s fault.
Posted in another thread but Todd Haley as HC with Mike Vrabel as DC would be my top pick so far.

Vrabel played under Haley so there is a connection there.
Quote:http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/10/31/oakla...peter-king
Well, Peter King didn't tell us much that we weren't already painfully aware of. Maybe I shouldn't say 'painfully' aware of though; by the time we played on Thursday night football the writing was already on the wall. All the pathetic effort against the tacks did was show everybody nationwide (as if they didn't already know) just how bad we are. Really, that game was just a waste of a Thursday night football slot; we would've all been better off watching PBS or something.

I have very little hope that the team will get things turned around this season now. 2016 will go down as another terrible season for the Jags. We have the talent on the field now (at least on paper) except possibly at the most key position of quarterback. Bortles was brought here with a known weakness in his passing technique and now we're paying the price for it. It wouldn't sting so bad if he hadn't shown flashes of greatness at times last season. We now know that those flashes were really a fluke since the Allens weren't getting covered then like they are now.

Blake has become the worse of Byron Leftwich (technique) and Blaine Gabbert (poise) simultaneously... gads!

Olson was part of the problem but he shouldn't have been brought here to begin with; but then again, much of the same thing could also be said about Blake Bortles and Gus Bradley. There's really not much left to say about Gus Bradley; at this point I'm a little surprised that he's still here. Nevertheless, I have to think that there is massive research and negotiating going on in the way of a head coach search. Dave Caldwell gets a mulligan on his first head coach failure... he won't get another.

While I understand the majority of fans wanting Gus fired already, I can also see the point of retaining him for the rest of the season. For starters, the season is a wash; no interim coach is going to miraculously turn it around. Therefore, there is no practical benefit to firing Gus this red hot second. On the other hand, it is thought by some that firing Gus mid-season might send the wrong kind of message to prospective head coach candidates. I get this, but I'm not sure if I agree with it. It seems to me that we've been sending the wrong message retaining Gus this long. 'Come to Jacksonville and produce results (or not) and you'll still have a high paying job for years' is the message that I think is being sent. Imho, a coaching candidate who's afraid to come here cause he might get fired if he doesn't produce results in a reasonable amount of time isn't the guy we wanted anyway!

GPODAWUND

I think it would end up being the third tie of the season.  
Sadly I could see the team doing enough to let Gus ride it out for next year.  Just a building forboding thought.  ***Heebee jeeves

Quote:Sadly I could see the team doing enough to let Gus ride it out for next year.  Just a building forboding thought.  ***Heebee jeeves

Unless something miraculous happens between now and the end of the season, this is it for Gus.
Quote:GPODAWUND

I think it would end up being the third tie of the season.  
I think if that would happen, both fan bases would see a spike in suicides.

There would need to be warnings posted on the tickets to that game. 

"May cause sucidal thoughts or actions."
Quote:I think if that would happen, both fan bases would see a spike in suicides.

There would need to be warnings posted on the tickets to that game. 

"May cause sucidal thoughts or actions."
That's a game you send to London. Mercy for the home team fans.

Quote:That's a game you send to London. Mercy for the home team fans.
But see the state department would never allow that.

Such an abomination of an NFL game would hurt long standing diplomatic relations between the US and Great Britain.
Looks like King doesn't seem to believe lack of talent is an issue unlike some posters.
The Browns are better than us. 

I see the Jaguars now as akin to the 2012 Kansas city chiefs, a 2 winn team that immediately got nine wins better with good coaching. Everyone knew they had talent, they just didn't have great coaching.

2-14 to 11-5.
Quote:I see the Jaguars now as akin to the 2012 Kansas city chiefs, a 2 winn team that immediately got nine wins better with good coaching. Everyone knew they had talent, they just didn't have great coaching.

2-14 to 11-5.

I think this is an apt comparison.  Our scheme puts our strong defensive players in bad situations.  Our offense has playmakers who are hamstrung by bad playcalling.

What I'd give for Andy Reid.
Quote:I see the Jaguars now as akin to the 2012 Kansas city chiefs, a 2 winn team that immediately got nine wins better with good coaching. Everyone knew they had talent, they just didn't have great coaching.

2-14 to 11-5.

Fair assessment and a good comparison. Coaching is a huge issue this year that I expect to be resolved for 2017.
Pages: 1 2 3