Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Blake, Gus, and Dave
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The problem lies with all three.  All three must go.  The sooner they do, the better for this franchise.  Firing gus at the end of the year will appease many fans.  It will not be enough.  ALL three must go.

Here is my reasoning:

I think we are all in agreement that Gus needs to go.  The reasons are numerous and have been talked about countless times.

I personally have seen enough from Blake Bortles.  I would let him play out the rest of this year.  By the end of this year, he will have ~3 years of experience and game tape to really evaluate him.  I would be very aggressive in free agency and/or the NFL draft to get my next QB.  It doesn't have to be the next "franchise QB"...  He will be under contract, so we don't need to just cut him for the sake of cutting him.  Maybe we trade him, maybe he's the backup, it doesn't matter.  But he should not be on the field playing football as our primary option.  If he is, the best we can hope for is another 5-7 win year in year 5 of the rebuild.  He is a QB who is just as flawed now as he was as a senior in college.  He was a project that just flat out did not work out.  The sooner we can see that with objectivity, the faster we will get a winner.

Now, Caldwell seems to be a guy a lot of fans are still OK with.  I would consider keeping him but I simply don't trust him with regards to the QB.  I think Caldwell plays favorites and will sink or swim with his own guys (his own draft picks).  He will keep Bortles as the starting QB in 2017 which I think will be another lost year for us.  Blake will "earn it" because Dave will not provide him with adequate competition.  To prevent that from happening, the three amigos all need to go, and they all need to go at the same time.

Caldwell has done well with some selections, but he has missed on the most important:  The head coach.  His entire first draft class.  His QB.  There are other examples.  He's had nice selections as well, but I think any reasonable GM would've done just as well if not better with the resources he was given 4 years ago.

Before you start crying about "not wanting to start from scratch"... we don't have to and we will not.  Khan should interview GMs and coaches who say that this roster is a roster they can win with.  You don't give them a 4 year plan.  We have enough talent on both sides of the ball to be at least average with average QB play.   I guarantee you there are coaches out there that would love this job (just like any other job) and can actually win with this team NOW.  There will not be any mass exodus of players.  A new set of eyes will come in and objectively look at what we have.  Suddenly guys like Joeckel and Bortles are not playing for this team anymore.  Guys who have performed, like Linder, Telvin, Ramsey, etc of course stay.  

We all want a winner in Jacksonville.  I know this year is lost already.  Firing Olson and promoting Gus Jr. isn't going to solve anything.  It was a blame game, a shift away from what the real problem is:  The entire state of this franchise.  For that, Dave, Gus, and Bortles are responsible.  

I don't know how any competent person could even TRY to evaluate Bortles without a competent head coach.
Quote:I don't know how any competent person could even TRY to evaluate Bortles without a competent head coach.

This thread isn't just about Bortles.  It's about the whole bunch.  Nevertheless:

do the coaches tell him to throw behind his receivers on crossing routes?

do they coaches tell him to lock on to his primary receiver and throw anyway?

which coach told him to throw into triple coverage into the endzone?

get outta here with that nonsense.

Derek Carr is lighting up the league with JDR as the head coach.  Coaching is important, very important, but you can make good evaluations based on how players play independently.  With your logic, not a single player here needs to get replaced until a better coach is hired and gives them another chance.
OP is right, the franchise needs a full circle rebuild. All 3 heads of they hydra need to be cut off. 

The three primary problems with this team: Bortles, Bradley, and Caldwell.

I agree. I made a similar thread talking about how keeping Caldwell will put us in a bad position next year because we will be tied to Bortles and a GM on the last year of his contract and no head coach will want to come into that.  We need to move on from Bortles, it did not work. We are looking at another <5 win season next year if Bortles is the starter.

Quote:This thread isn't just about Bortles.  It's about the whole bunch.  Nevertheless:

do the coaches tell him to throw behind his receivers on crossing routes?

do they coaches tell him to lock on to his primary receiver and throw anyway?

which coach told him to throw into triple coverage into the endzone?

get outta here with that nonsense.

Derek Carr is lighting up the league with JDR as the head coach.  Coaching is important, very important, but you can make good evaluations based on how players play independently.  With your logic, not a single player here needs to get replaced until a better coach is hired and gives them another chance.

Yes. It's 100% coaching.

If David Garrard was on this Jaguars team and not the top 5 defensive team with MJD, Garrard would have 12 TDs and 19 INTs.

It's 100% coaching.
Quote:Yes. It's 100% coaching.

If David Garrard was on this Jaguars team and not the top 5 defensive team with MJD, Garrard would have 12 TDs and 19 INTs.

It's 100% coaching.

we will have to agree to disagree.
Quote:I agree. I made a similar thread talking about how keeping Caldwell will put us in a bad position next year because we will be tied to Bortles and a GM on the last year of his contract and no head coach will want to come into that.  We need to move on from Bortles, it did not work. We are looking at another <5 win season next year if Bortles is the starter.

yeah.  nothing short of getting rid of all 3 makes any sense.
Quote:I agree. I made a similar thread talking about how keeping Caldwell will put us in a bad position next year because we will be tied to Bortles and a GM on the last year of his contract and no head coach will want to come into that.  We need to move on from Bortles, it did not work. We are looking at another <5 win season next year if Bortles is the starter.

Yeah. Maybe the next Gabbert or Leftwich QB could throw for 337 yards and 3 TD-0 INTs in 54 attempts at age 24.

I'm 100% sure the Jags will draft a QB better than Bortles Bahahaha
Quote:Yeah. Maybe the next Gabbert or Leftwich QB could throw for 337 yards and 3 TD-0 INTs in 54 attempts at age 24.

There is no way you aren't trolling.
Quote:Yeah. Maybe the next Gabbert or Leftwich QB could throw for 337 yards and 3 TD-0 INTs in 54 attempts at age 24.

lol bro literally half of that was in garbage time when the Titans were playing prevent defense, as always. Keep fooling yourself into thinking it's all on the coaches. Even if it were all on the coaches, then Dave still needs to go because he is the one who hired the worst coach in NFL history. Bortles has went through two OC's and had the same end result in the span of his 3 year career. I wonder what the constant there is?  

And unlike you, I watch these players in college and formulate my own opinion on them. Literally, all the fears I had with Bortles and Fowler are coming to fruition, and they are simply what I thought they were going to be, top 5 busts.
Quote:lol bro literally half of that was in garbage time when the Titans were playing prevent defense, as always. Keep fooling yourself into thinking it's all on the coaches. Even if it were all on the coaches, then Dave still needs to go because he is the one who hired the worst coach in NFL history. Bortles has went through two OC's and had the same end result in the span of his 3 year career. I wonder what the constant there is?  

And unlike you, I watch these players in college and formulate my own opinion on them. Literally, all the fears I had with Bortles and Fowler are coming to fruition, and they are simply what I thought they were going to be, top 5 busts.

(14-41). Now run along and buy your Jags jersey sheep.
Depending on the replacement I wouldn't be opposed to it at all.

So 6 ypa is supposed to be impressive for real?
Quote:(14-41). Now run along and buy your Jags jersey sheep.
lmbo

"Jacksonville Jaguars - The Constant Rebuilder" coming to a stadium near you!

Quote:lol bro literally half of that was in garbage time 
Blake had 64 yards at halftime, trailing 27-0. Hell, Blake had 18 yards passing when the score was 17-0. It could easily be argued that 319 of Blake's 337 yards and 3 TDs were garbage time. 

That's 94.7% garbage time stats to be exact, just a tad more than literally half lol.
Quote:(14-41). Now run along and buy your Jags jersey sheep.
Man.

You're one pathetic loser.
Quote:Blake had 64 yards at halftime, trailing 27-0. Hell, Blake had 18 yards passing when the score was 17-0. It could easily be argued that 319 of Blake's 337 yards and 3 TDs were garbage time. 

That's 94.7% garbage time stats to be exact, just a tad more than literally half lol.
Even better.
Pages: 1 2