Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: When did you become a Jags fan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I started watching football young.  My stepdad had always watched and I started getting into it.  He was a Buffalo Bills fan, so I naturally watched alot of and became a bills fan. Thurman Thomas was amazing and made the run game my favorite aspect of football.  But then the Bills went to 4 superbowls in a row and lost every one.  At my young age, this was crushing, and I lost faith in the Bills and realized they werent MY team, they were my dads team.  I kind of drifted for the next year or two without a team.

Then the two expansion teams hit. Panthers and Jaguars.  I decided to choose one of them, because I didnt have a history with any team, and new teams seemed right for a reletivley new fan.  I ended up choosing the Jaguars for no real other reason then I liked their colors logo and team name best.  It helped that after that first rough year they had a solid couple seasons, which helped cement this budding football fans loyalties (And Fred Tylor showed up and was an exciting runningback).  Since then there has been alot of suffering, but its years like this that make it all worth it.

So I've been a fan  since literally day one.

Just came up with this post because I was looking back on the rough times and realizing how it made the current trend of this team even more exciting.  Ah nostalgia, the sweetest drug.
Day one. Was 7 years old and said "that team has cool colors and logo" and it's stuck since then. Was a Bills fan by default before then (gross)
Was in town for the family Christmas party at my Uncle's house and saw a big picture of him and a bunch of other guys posing with shovels in the dirt. Asked him about it and he said that he was part of the ground breaking ceremony for a new football team that was coming to Jacksonville. Been a fan of the cool new team where my dad was born ever since. My dad stayed a Bengals fan...
2003, it's not gone well.
1995 after the cowboys vs steelers superbowl became a nfl fan next season when car and jax came into the league and choose jax. I was 14 became a hardcore fan when I was around 24. Haven't missed a game in pver 12-15 years thank you sunday ticket.
November 30, 1993 and actually a bit before that because Weaver announced the team name in a contest a year or two before. I recall I had voted for the name "Bulls" which was the name of the USFL franchise the city had had in the 80s. No matter, the Jaguars it was and the Jaguars it is. Good to be winning again after 10 years of mediocre performance.
From day 1 when that announce the team. I was living on Leon Road in Jax when they got it
Sometime in early 2000's. I was ten and "the greatest show on turf" is what drew me to pro football. Loved Warner's story (he was my first jersey). Before I watched pro, my brother and I always went against each other and he was FSU and I was UF. Freddy T. Got me to switch quickly after.
From day one
1992 the seeds were planted, had no idea how soon it would be before the team actually exsisted.

My grandfather got me into football in the late 70s, he was a San Francisco fan so I adopted the Rams so we could have a little rivalry. They had a place in Deltona , where they spent every winter. He always said, if northern Florida ever got a team he would jump ship and they would be his team. Sadly he passed in August of 92, so when the team was announced I felt I wanted to do what he would've done and became a loyal fan from day 1.
Nov 30 1993. I had just gotten home from school and saw Deron Cherry walk by and give the thumbs up. Pestered my parents into going out and getting a Jaguars shirt to wear to school the next day but they said no, lol. Got like 3 shirts and 2 sweatshirts that Christmas though. I've got my Jags mini helmet on my desk at work now and it's been with me to 3 different continents! Love my team.
I was in the 5th grade year one in St.
 Augustine all the other kids where Miami fans and I hate Miami. We had our house broken into 5 times in the 4 years we lived there before moving to St. Augustine. When Jacksonville got its own team I was hooked.
2001 When I moved to Jax. Wanted to support the home town team even though the Jets were my main team. 16 years later I'm a HUGE Jags fan and they have replaced the Jets in my heart.
Didn't really watch football other than the superbowls before 06. 2006 Jets game got me really into football and the Jags. Then later that season the colts 375 game really got me into the Jags. The 09 offseason was when I got into all the offseason stuff. 2010 got my first season tickets.
When they started winning.
I"m in my late 30's and didn't get into football until the early 90's. Was a bandwagon 49ers fan (lived in jax from 89-05) until Jax got a team in 1993. I am an original Jaguar fan you can say. I remember watching the first games in 95 and even have some old shirts from the original Jaguar car like logo. I have been a fan through the thick and the thin.
The day we won the team rewarded by the NFL, bored and raised in Duval
1999 - I was 8 years old and being from the UK - my grandparents had just relocated from Canada to Jacksonville, remember speaking to my grandpa about the sport and i gave it a go.

I fell in love ever since, helped it was a good year! The Jags remind me of my football team over here which helps and makes me smile, in fact the Jags should adopt the Birmingham City song (my team)
"As we go through life its a long long road there will be joys and sorrows too......"
June 1995
I was born in Jax (Navy brat) and was there when the team first played. My folks were are the first home game. They loved sports but weren't really huge NFL fans. They decided if they had a team it would be the Jags. It rubbed off a little on me I suppose. Once my old mans enlistment was up we moved back home to Mississippi and I didn't keep track of the NFL until the "Greatest Show on Turf," came around and I started playing pop warner and played RB. I was a big Rams fan but I admit I was a bandwagon hard core as a little kid and lost interest in the Rams when they lost steam. Cut back to '07 and my friend was a huge steeler fan and this was before the playoff game. He asked me if I was watching the game and I said no and he yelled at me for loving football but not supporting my "home team." I watched the game..obviously was ecstatic with the result and then that feeling lasted all the way until today. I actually found my first jersey ever in storage the other week. A rookie Fred Taylor jersey
Pages: 1 2 3