Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Impressions From The Cardinals Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I hope everyone had a happy and safe Thanksgiving holiday.  It looks as if the Jaguars ate too much this weekend.  My thoughts on the game...

1.  Once again, Gabbert beat us, even though this time, he was wearing a different team's uniform.  Very depressing.  Meanwhile, Bortles beat us again, and he's still wearing our uniform.  Very depressing.  In fairness, Bortles helped get us back into the game with his designed runs.  But his 4th quarter INT was disastrous.  Assuming we make the playoffs, we won't go very far if Bortles keeps throwing these late INTs.

2.  I have been as big a Marrone supporter as anyone.  But his decision to throw the ball late after running on the first down invites scrutiny.  He tried to have the best of both worlds.  If the team executes on second down, we get a first down with some time left, but if not, he's thinking the Cards would not have much time.  Turns out they had six seconds too much time.  Given the poor field position, the safer bet would have been to run the ball and try to take the game to overtime.

3.  Barry Church's late INT should have been enough to redeem him for a bad game.  However, given the disastrous last two offensive possessions that ended in an INT and the failure to move the ball or run out the clock, his passing game lapses come back into focus.  He gave up a big catch early on to a TE when he allowed a clean release.  Late on the deep TD, he apparently got lost in the play and allowed the receiver to get way behind him.  Those two lapses cost us 15 points.  We can't afford those kinds of mistakes if we're going to win.

4.  I was very surprised and disappointed the defensive line did not get to Gabbert more than they did.  Ngakoue got another sack, forced another fumble that Campbell returned for a TD, and batted another pass.  But generally, the DL did not get much pressure on him, and the few times they moved him off his spot, he escaped.  The DL has to return to early season form if the team is going to successfully complete its playoff run.

5.  I think the refs failed to call two penalties that could have changed the game.  There was an obvious hold against LB Myles Jack on a Gabbert scramble that netted the Cards a first down on a 3rd and 4, a few plays before Gabbert threw a TD.  Had that hold been called, perhaps the Cards have to punt and that score never happens.  I also think the refs missed a block in the back on peterson's last punt return that would have pushed them back to the 30 instead of the 40 had it been called.  If the refs call that, the game likely goes to overtime.

6.  All things considered, I think special teams had a good game.  Lambo and Nortman had good games, and Grant's return was huge.  The last punt return aside, there were no long killing returns allowed.

7.  Rookie watch:
  • Leonard Fournette-was completely shut down. 
  • Cam Robinson-had his 3rd struggling game in a row.  I have to ask again if he has hit the rookie wall, or are his flaws no available for all to see and exploit?
  • Dawaune Smoot-did not make any plays that I noticed
  • Dede Westbrook-IIRC had about 4 catches, but none of any real impact.
  • Blair Brown-replaced Telvin Smith after Smith left the game with a concussion.
  • Jalen Myrick-I did not notice him
  • Keelan Cole-saw him have the one catch, but had no impact.
8.  I think the offensive line as a whole got absolutely whipped today, and quite possibly played its worst game as a whole.  We could not get the running game going, and did not pass protect well.  It seemed as though everyone had a breakdown at one point or another.  I wasn't the biggest Parnell fan after last year, but he has played well this year.  We need him and Omameh healthy...and fast.

9.  Speaking of offensive group failings, I don't think the receivers had a particularly good game.  This is a game we really could have used Robinson and Hurns.

10.  Bottom line-this is a loss that hurt.  We lost the cushion we had over the tacks and are back in a tie for first (through technically they are now in the lead due to the head to head win over us earlier, and we lost it against a team that looked like we should have beaten.  Furthermore, if we do win the division, this loss could conceivably end up costing us a first round bye.  If there is any solace to be taken from this game, it was an out of conference loss, which is a lower tie breaker (common games) than conference games.  We also are home for three straight games, and hopefully we can get well during this three game stretch.
Jags should have lost the Chargers game. Could have won this one. I had a bad feeling about this game all week.

Karma comes back around I guess.

I see the defense coming out next week ready to prove the doubters wrong.
A great write up as usual.

I don’t know you maintain your cool. This has to be frustrating to watch and analyze.
(11-26-2017, 09:23 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Jags should have lost the Chargers game. Could have won this one. I had a bad feeling about this game all week.

I hope you are right.

What I am afraid of is a repeat of the 1999 season.

If you recall, nobody really solved the Jaguars defense until the Saints did late in the season.  After that, the defense did not seem as effective.  What I'm hoping is that these lapses in the passing game, especially the quick hitting passes to the TE, are an aberration.
I'm going to chalk this up to traveling out West against a very well coached team. Arizona is not an easy place to play in, regardless of who's under center.
(11-26-2017, 09:25 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: [ -> ]A great write up as usual.

I don’t know you maintain your cool. This has to be frustrating to watch and analyze.

If you heard the expletives from me during the game, you'd know I didn't keep my cool.  I didn't throw any remotes or smash my TV like some...but I was far from calm then or now.
(11-26-2017, 09:27 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-26-2017, 09:25 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: [ -> ]A great write up as usual.

If you heard the expletives from me during the game, you'd know I didn't keep my cool.  I didn't throw any remotes or smash my TV like some...but I was far from calm then or now.

I’m the opposite. I internalize it and just let it out here. 
That said, I don’t see how we beat Seattle or Tennessee. We may sneak into the playoffs but today’s loss has made it bleak
(11-26-2017, 09:23 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Jags should have lost the Chargers game. Could have won this one. I had a bad feeling about this game all week.

Yes we have a hard game against Brissett and the clots. I have no doubt we will look elite against the clots, but it's the 3 win clots.
(11-26-2017, 09:29 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-26-2017, 09:27 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]If you heard the expletives from me during the game, you'd know I didn't keep my cool.  I didn't throw any remotes or smash my TV like some...but I was far from calm then or now.

That said, I don’t see how we beat Seattle or Tennessee. We may sneak into the playoffs but today’s loss has made it bleak

I think if we can just get healthy at WR and the OL, we've got a shot.  Like I said...it hurts, but it's the least damaging loss because it is out of conference.  But we can't afford to lose any more if we want to win the division.
(11-26-2017, 09:29 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-26-2017, 09:27 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]If you heard the expletives from me during the game, you'd know I didn't keep my cool.  I didn't throw any remotes or smash my TV like some...but I was far from calm then or now.

Did you see this team throttling Texans in week 1? Winning in Pitt or beating the Ravens 44-7? How about shutting out the Colts?

Titans barely beat Indy today. This defense had a bad game but it’s still a great unit.

Don’t get so down after 1 game. Today sucks but take a look at the other 10. That’s who this team really is.
This one hurts more than I can remember
The one thing I hate the most is Marrone was so stupid to throw the ball on 2nd down from our own 12, we should of took 3 knees and beat them in OT. Making good clock managment decisions could be very crucial in the playoffs.
- An offensive line that features back-ups at RT and LG as well as a clearly (much) less than 100% LT is just not good enough to get it done.  

- Bortles is going to continue to enthrall and infuriate. It's crazy. He's still inaccurate but seems to be getting closer and closer with his misses. Missing Hurns and A-Rob is taking a toll and you'd imagine that there would likely be fewer drops on those "near misses" were they healthy. #5 made some great plays with his legs today and took some real punishment without getting overly rattled. While he definitely came up short in my mind overall in Arizona -I respect the grit in much of his performance today. With a healthy line and the corresponding improved run game, he may have been able to come away with a win.

The defense  continues to inspire confidence even if they gave up some points and faltered at times in this game.  I do believe that Wash reverted to a bit too much of that old soft zone coverage - but it was mostly individual errors in execution that gave up big plays. The safety play vs the TEs was left wanting at times.

Gabbert showed that he's a much better QB than he was when he left Jacksonville.

There are a number of coaching decisions being raised and I'll need to review those situations in detail before commenting.  I'd not be surprised to find one or two head scratchers there.
Many fans are questioning Hackett's playcalling and there were a few odd decisions, but one should consider the tall order he's been tasked with as he attempts to mitigate loss of multiple key players to injury and a QB that requires scheme adjustments to excel. There are only so many smoke and mirrors the man can use to hide the weaknesses.
After a month of wins, the Jaguars finally lost a game. Trolls, haters and national media rejoice. 12-4.
Lee is as good as gone come season enx

Won one we should have lost, and lost one we should have won. It works both ways. Better to win the conference game.

Let Bortles get as many INTs out of his system and all the bonehead calls out of the way against the Niners and Hawks

But concentrate on beating the Texans, Titans, and Colts. We will be at 10 wins and in the playoffs.
(11-26-2017, 10:18 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: [ -> ]After a month of wins, the Jaguars finally lost a game. Trolls, haters and national media rejoice. 12-4.

Exactly. They haven’t lost a game since before Halloween lol. They aren’t gonna win every game they play. Honestly it’s good they lost this one. We want the real win streak to start in late December
we all wanted to win today,but if your gonna lose one of the next 2 games its better to lose to cards today then a division game to colts next week. im not saying jags will win or lose next week,just the division games are super imporent. all games are imporent,but if you want to in your divisioon you have to win the division games.
The games where we won by a wide margin we started out fast with imaginative play calling. This run on 1st, run on 2nd and then pass on 3rd has got to stop in the beginning of the game. It is a copy cat league, and all teams are playing just like other teams are against us, putting 8-9 players in the box and daring us to throw deep on them. When we don't, the defense gets more confidence but we still keep on going. The definition of insanity is to keep on doing the same thing thinking that you'll get a different outcome. I'm not calling them insane, just that the play calling on offense has gotten really bad at least for the last 2 games, which have resulted in 1 loss and probably a game against Cleveland that we could have lost.

Did we have a timeout left when they kicked the 57 yard field goal? If we did, why didn't they use it? I can't remember if they had one or not. You can't put all this on Blake or question his moxy, because he was being killed all game long, he was on the ground more than he was on 2 feet. Yes, the interception was a very stupid throw, but how can you have any confidence in the wide receiver group when you throw it to them and they constantly drop passes, have an offensive line that is in tatters, and even then can't block that well anyway. You barely heard from the guy that had 2 sacks in the first half in the second half, why didn't they help the person blocking him earlier in the game?

This loss, even though it was in the NFC, hurts a lot because it could have cost us a 1st round bye. Pittsburg looks like it may lose tonight because Green Bay is playing really good. We really needed this game. I'm not sounding the alarm, but they need Strategy B when Strategy A doesn't work, but it seems as though they're hooked and sold on Strategy A, which when it works is great, but when it doesn't, you have offensive play like we had in the first half.
And just to make the loss more annoying the Steelers will probably lose this game. Which would have given us the inside track to a first round bye.
Pages: 1 2