Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jags Still King of the Offseason
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As usual the Jaguars have won the offseason. Well not everywhere (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2017-n...all-short/) but in general the consensus is we built a serious identity.

Now that the dust has settled, how are you feeling about previous jaguars predictions. I had previously stated (old account pre-SQL) that 6-10 to 7-9 felt about right. Now with the additions I am flying high on the Coughlin train (or rather I-formation, which is my personal favorite).

I could easily see us plowing thru 2 more wins like a Nebraskan chewing thru Corn or Todd Bouman on his tractor taking down snow in Minnesota. The question is, how many wins does this off season actually translate into?

Starting 3-13

My breakdown - Coughlin instead+2-3

Losing Ice Cream Parties/Ping Pong = +1

FA- Draft +2-3

I now feel that 8-8 to 10-6 is possible. So in the spirit of foolish off season predictions I am saying 9-7. Feel free to join in.

Edit: Corrected colts to the proper form clots. Also the title should have a question mark.

Corn got drafted by the Panthers, so he probably won.  At least if the Panthers can turn things back around after a post-super bowl loss slump.

All depends on Bortles...

The pieces are there and we have an identity minus a true power OG and TE.
Quote:All depends on Bortles...

This
Quote:This

We have cam who NFL Network said be a great guard.  And yea.  I don't see Blake turning it around.  But the pieces can help to around 6 to 7 wins. 
Things feel different this time because Gus is gone.
Quote:Things feel different this time because Gus is gone.
I will agree and say Bortles looked much better as well.  
Quote:We have cam who NFL Network said be a great guard. And yea. I don't see Blake turning it around. But the pieces can help to around 6 to 7 wins.

I'm saying Albert//Cam going to be LT//RT...and Cam the long term LT...still don't have that long term OG//TE but the rest of the pieces form an nice O.
Quote:I'm saying Albert//Cam going to be LT//RT...and Cam the long term LT...still don't have that long term OG//TE but the rest of the pieces form an nice O.
Yea but cam will end up guard.  Caldwell only picks players.  Not chooses assignments.  Could end up another linder situation.  Or maybe they have someone else mind for center and put him back to guard. 

Not really.

It also depends on how good Marrone and his staff are too.
It's been clear for years that the team was underachieving under Bradley. They never beat a team that was more talented than they were and were only fortunate to get wins against teams with less talent on a seemingly random basis. In 2015 the team had marginal talent, but should have been able to get to .500 against the favorable schedule they faced, but they were consistently caught unprepared and ended up a season that could have resulted in the playoffs with only 5 wins. In 2016 they were more talented, yet consistently looked even worse than in 2015. I know it's chic to blame that on Bortles recently, but the team lost in more ways than just bad QB play. Consistently poor special teams play, consistently poor defensive efforts at the ends of games, consistently poor offensive play around Bortles resulted in a team that could barely rush the ball and constantly fumbled, and a group of receivers once considered the team's strength that regularly bobbled passes into defenders for interceptions.

I don't think the team has been bad because of a lack of talent, the team has been bad because of a failure to prepare and utilize its talent. I think Marrone will be a massive upgrade over Gus in that regard, whether he's good enough to take the team to where we really want it to be remains to be seen, but at least we've cut out the Gus cancer and can move on from that.

So wait, the Jags are losers in this draft because of a guy drafted 3 years ago? That CBS article mentions that they like most of the picks but not Bortles which has nothing to do with this draft.
Quote:So wait, the Jags are losers in this draft because of a guy drafted 3 years ago? That CBS article mentions that they like most of the picks but not Bortles which has nothing to do with this draft.

Disregard that article because it was written by Jason LaCanfora who is a Jacksonville jaguars and Bortles hater
Quote:Not really.

It also depends on how good Marrone and his staff are too.

While that does play into it...QB play is the biggest factor in how an O performs.
I agree with the writer. None of this matters if Bortles is still Bortles. My expectation is we'll be last in the division again. I also refuse to believe it was all Gus' fault and now everything will magically get better because he's gone. 

I think this is the Jags year. I think we find some success this year.

I can't quite define 'success' at this time, anything is better than the last few years.

I'm not getting ahead of myself, but I'm quietly confident that the pieces start to fall into place.

Dont fall for the trap.
Quote:Dont fall for the trap.

Fall for the Trap because there's nothing wrong with having hope in your life for our football team. Please do not suffer from the losing Seasons syndrome like everybody else on this message board.
Agree, I predict 3 more wins just cause of that.
Anything more than 6 wins this season is a bonus. Getting rid of Gus was key.
Pages: 1 2