Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: We Really Miss Hurns...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As admirable of a job as Lee has done. Hurns presence forced the defense to at least respect our presence outside on both sides of the formation. He ran good routes, moved the chains and was surehanded. He's also as gritty as they come. ARob going out was a heavy loss, but Hurns as well is nightmarish, Lee isnt going to carry the passing attack by himself. Westbrook has potential but is still raw, as is Keelan Cole who has some rookie drops and other issues regarding overall polish. I don't think it's a coincidence that when Hurns went down the Offense stalls (more than usual I should say). They've seemed to have regressed in his absence. I hope we get #88 back soon IDT people realize how vital he is to our team; amazes me that people are considering him as a cut candidate.
Yup, hes the best jags route runner in finding open spaces and makes those tough passes that he knows he'll get hit hard.
We're missing a lot of our offensive starters. We kind of got snake bit by injuries but maybe we can limp to the playoffs and get guys back.
Doesn't help that Cole dropped two deep passes today and Westbrook almost had one on a tough catch. That would have made them respect us a bit more

I'd definitely be interested to see how this offense would operate at full strength with Bortles. ARob is his safety net.
Any time your top two receivers are out and your third guy is blanketed by one of the best corners in the NFL, you're going to have a bad day passing.
We really miss Hurns...

...and A-Rob, and Parnell, and Omameh, and a healthy Robinson, and a healthy Fournette.

This offense is very depleted by injury.

(11-26-2017, 11:26 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]
I'd definitely be interested to see how this offense would operate at full strength with Bortles. ARob is his safety net.

I'd be interested in having a QB that doesn't need a safety net.
Guys get hurt, its how the NFL works, but we have seemed to rack up quite a bit on offense, but have stayed reasonably healthy on defense.

Fournette is hobbled, Cam Robinson has not been the same since he hurt his ankle and could possibly be battling that still.

Then you have your top 2 wrs out and 2 of your better run blockers on the line out.

4 starters out of 11 out is bad news. I hope we can get our 2 linemen back at least. We may be able to get some push up front again.
(11-26-2017, 11:32 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]We really miss Hurns...

...and A-Rob, and Parnell, and Omameh, and a healthy Robinson, and a healthy Fournette.

This offense is very depleted by injury.

(11-26-2017, 11:26 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]

I'd be interested in having a QB that doesn't need a safety net.

Every QB has a "safety net" by which I mean your chain-moving/go-to/high trust guy
We miss a bunch of guys right now, especially Hurns.
It's not even a matter of individual value, but the fact that a team can be reduced from having 3 major weapons at receiving position down to 1. And 3 is not merely 3 times better than 1 in a team game. 3 is like 6 times better than 1, because the threats compound in tandem.

And this is not to suggest that Westbrook cannot be a weapon either, but teams need time to develop chemistry and until you develop that, you aren't realizing the weaponization of your talent. I really like what I've seen from Westbrook so far. He will be a weapon soon. But it is true, the experience of Hurns is sorely missed. Even if available and for whatever reason he is not targeted many times this game, his presence compounds the threat force of all receivers.

We win this game handily if any of the following:
1. Hurns is available
2. Either of our injured starting O-line was available
3. Most obviously, if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot with bad decisions in the final stretch.

Really, it is that 2nd point that was most critical. Struggling O-line means entire offense will struggle. It means dramatically diminished run game, and protection. Teams live and die by the O-line.
We need more from the offense for sure. Just don't have enough talent there to win like this. Actually, I don't even blame Bortles for the loss. The guy is trying to do everything he can with an offense that is basically outmatched at every position. But this is the difference between Blake and a elite guy. Blake came close to bringing us the win, but in the end faltered. I do wonder if the switch will ever come on for him and he will take that step we have been waiting for since 2015.
(11-27-2017, 12:59 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: [ -> ]We need more from the offense for sure. Just don't have enough talent there to win like this. Actually, I don't even blame Bortles for the loss. The guy is trying to do everything he can with an offense that is basically outmatched at every position. But this is the difference between Blake and a elite guy. Blake came close to bringing us the win, but in the end faltered. I do wonder if the switch will ever come on for him and he will take that step we have been waiting for since 2015.
Not sure what else you need on offense, the run game has tremendously improved this year and Bortles hasnt been asked to be your guys bread & butter; just win a game or two when the defense slacks at times (like today) and he still failed. At some point your going to need your QB to step up and Im afraid he wont be up to that challenge. Not addressing the QB situation this offseason might come back and haunt Jacksonville.
(11-27-2017, 01:04 AM)MariGOATa Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-27-2017, 12:59 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: [ -> ]We need more from the offense for sure. Just don't have enough talent there to win like this. Actually, I don't even blame Bortles for the loss. The guy is trying to do everything he can with an offense that is basically outmatched at every position. But this is the difference between Blake and a elite guy. Blake came close to bringing us the win, but in the end faltered. I do wonder if the switch will ever come on for him and he will take that step we have been waiting for since 2015.
Not sure what else you need on offense, the run game has tremendously improved this year and Bortles hasnt been asked to be your guys bread & butter; just win a game or two when the defense slacks at times (like today) and he still failed. At some point your going to need your QB to step up and Im afraid he wont be up to that challenge. Not addressing the QB situation this offseason might come back and haunt Jacksonville.

Today the rest of the offense was outmatched. Overall through the season we have been better, but today it was bad. The injuries are mounting up, and Bortles just isn't enough to cover all that like a franchise QB could.
the lack of a TE who can go open is another thing. I wish Koyack would get more looks.
Missing Hurns and Arob is the equivalent of missing a "possible" ....1500 yards and 12 TDS between the two.

Lee is just and 800 yard guy.

Westbrook is going to explode in the next couple games though. This was an ok game to lose if that's possible. Out of the AFC. Ten pulled even with us but they were down 16-6 when Brissett turned the ball over.
Westbrook is showing signs of coming on. If Bortles even has a page to get on it would be big if they could build some chemistry. Best case scenario he comes on and our line gets healthier and Hurns comes back healthy for the end of the season.
We're missing a lot right now on offense. Starts with Allen Robinson mostly. And then you can look at someone like Allen Hurns and then we especially missed Jeremy Parnell and Patrick Omameh yesterday. All in all. Bortles looked solid despite the stupid INT after the defense bailed the offense out once again. But it was evident none of our receivers could catch a cold yesterday. Cole especially killed us on one or more drops. And even though Marrone's decision to throw the ball late was "stupid" I can't say I fault him and Hackett trying to make something happen there potentially with Lee. And yet again, Lee continues to show you why he's never going to be more than what he is with yet another drop.
Yes we miss Hurns
We miss Hurns, but REALLY miss Robinson.

Robinson is the perfect guy for Bortles. Large catch radius while being covered.
(11-27-2017, 09:38 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]We miss Hurns, but REALLY miss Robinson.

Robinson is the perfect guy for Bortles. Large catch radius while being covered.

I felt that Bortles tried to throw Robinson/Hurns balls (jump balls) to Westbrook and Cole yesterday and they came up lacking.

Hopefully getting Hurns back this season allows us to get a few more of those "gotta have it" completions to keep drives alive.
Pages: 1 2