Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: NFL.com - Jags' Marrone takes blame for getting 'greedy' in loss
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Jags' Marrone takes blame for getting 'greedy' in loss

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...dy-in-loss

Jaguars head coach Doug Marrone opted to let quarterback Blake Bortles go for the win in overtime and it cost Jacksonville.
Gets greedy? LOL. Getting greedy would be not running on 1st down. It's like they were playing for OT and had a massive brain fart and decided to throw.
(11-27-2017, 09:34 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Gets greedy? LOL. Getting greedy would be not running on 1st down. It's like they were playing for OT and had a massive brain fart and decided to throw.

Yup, doesn't make sense. Bortles is no Brady, Rodgers, Roethlisberger.
With how that game was playing out it wouldn't surprise me if Bortles checked into that out of a run.
(11-27-2017, 09:53 AM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-27-2017, 09:34 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Gets greedy? LOL. Getting greedy would be not running on 1st down. It's like they were playing for OT and had a massive brain fart and decided to throw.

Yup, doesn't make sense. Bortles is no Brady, Rodgers, Roethlisberger.

Here is what coach really meant....

"I didn't trust my QB to drive us down the field with 2 timeouts. The reason we had 2 timeouts is because I burnt one deciding if I wanted to go for it on 4th down earlier in the game when the clear answer was YES.. As you can see, I still haven't figured out this whole time out thing and game management in general. In the midst of not trusting my QB, I had a change of heart on 2nd down and thought, "maybe he can lead us". That didn't work, so we ran on 3rd down. Why? Because there is no way Blaine Gabbert could complete consecuitve passes against our stellar defense in crunch time to put his team in FG range, and even if he did, there is no way a 42 year old kicker is going to make that kick".
The issue is running it wouldn't of changed much. The cardinals still had a time out. And over a minute to play. So I applaud trying something. Did it work? No. But had our receiver caught it. Totally different story.
(11-27-2017, 10:07 AM)Teal Time Radio Wrote: [ -> ]The issue is running it wouldn't of changed much.  The cardinals still had a time out. And over a minute to play.  So I applaud trying something.  Did it work?  No.   But had our receiver caught it.  Totally different story.

Naw he messed up. They had one time out with 1:17 left. It was 1st and 10 on our 7. If you just run the ball three times you go to over time. They just had a judgement lapse
(11-27-2017, 10:07 AM)Teal Time Radio Wrote: [ -> ]The issue is running it wouldn't of changed much.  The cardinals still had a time out. And over a minute to play.  So I applaud trying something.  Did it work?  No.   But had our receiver caught it.  Totally different story.

They huddled after the first play telegraphing their intent to go to overtime. Even if the Cardinals burned their time out after a second run, the game would have gone to OT.
If he was greedy, wouldn't he of passed on first down too? Rookie mistake
(11-27-2017, 11:41 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]If he was greedy, wouldn't he of passed on first down too?  Rookie mistake

Thats the problem people have with the decision. Marrone is not a rookie coach, hes been a head coach in the NFL before. The call to pass was a bad one. I still think we lose the game in OT. They outplayed us all game.