Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Remember the Bradley extension...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Gus Bradley was extended to provide "stability" (supposedly to allow Dave to more easily sign his free agents) and give the team the "best opportunity to win in 2016."

Dave's words:

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:'proxima-nova', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;margin-left:40px;">“For an organization that we believe is ready to make its move, extending Gus through the 2017 season provides our club with much-needed stability in every respect,” General Manager Dave Caldwell said in a statement. “It solidifies Gus' good standing with our current players, provides certainty for free agents who may be considering the Jaguars and helps to deliver the continuity throughout our coaching staff that we think is critical for us to turn the corner.

<p style="font-size:16px;color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:'proxima-nova', Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;margin-left:40px;">“It also gives us the best opportunity to win in 2016. I appreciate [Jaguars Owner] Shad [Khan] supporting this approach as we enter a pivotal season with high expectations at every level of the organization.”  http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foot...-extension

Did Dave compromise the season vouching for his coach in order to make his offseason objectives easier to obtain?

One could argue he put his free agency interests ahead of the interests of the team.

That's a very high stakes gamble.

The end result is that he chose to fight to retain a coach for the sole reason of serving his personnel desires, regardless of the negative impact retaining Gus may have had on the club.

For this to work out for Dave, his precious personnel decisions will now have to far outlive the consequences of that coaching decision.

Right now, a coaching change is expected to be inevitable.

That change, and a head start righting the ship, has been set back by Dave insisting on making his free agency job easier.

The outside free agents brought in were:

Jackson

Beachum

Gipson

Ivory

Amukamara

Nortman

Bernadeau

Was that free agency crop worth sacrificing the 2016 season and delaying a coaching change?

With his pursuit of immediate gratification in the 2016 offseason, did he make his own 2017 offseason (and beyond) that much more difficult?

Don't forget Prince in the 2016 free agent class....

The Bradley extension should be cause for Dave's firing at the end of the season.  

Bradley's extension makes sense. It's a big gamble that he'd do better, and it didn't pay off, but it needed to be done. Khan just needs to man-up and cut his losses.

Absolutely no problem with Gus getting the extension. Remember when Wayne wouldn't extend JDR? We lost a good amount of assistants, the most important being Mike Shula. Everyone started to jump ship because they felt JDR was a lame duck coach. Extending Gus will ultimately cost Shad a couple more million, but it kept the staff in place and prevented defections to other teams.
Quote:Absolutely no problem with Gus getting the extension. Remember when Wayne wouldn't extend JDR? We lost a good amount of assistants, the most important being Mike Shula. Everyone started to jump ship because they felt JDR was a lame duck coach. Extending Gus will ultimately cost Shad a couple more million, but it kept the staff in place and prevented defections to other teams.

Oh yea good thing we kept Gus around. Otherwise we might have lost Olson or defensive mastermind Todd Wash LOL
The extension really didn't matter. He was going to coach this year anyway and if he killed it, then great we have another year to work out a long term deal. If he sucks, which he does, we just fire him anyway. It really just gave a false sense of stability to attract better players. I'm fine with it.
I'm starting to think it's not Gus.
The number of years the coach has left has never been shown to have any effect on who is willing to sign for any team.

The Jaguars have been losers for years, and under Gus in 2015 they showed nothing of his ability to raise a team's level of play. Everyone that signed in the offseason signed for money. Malik, Gipson, Ivory, all of them signed for money.

None of them care if Gus is here next year. None of them care if they're cut next year, they got paid. They'll get paid by another team if we release them.

The Gus extension was pure vanity.

Quote:I'm starting to think it's not Gus.

Lol. It may be other things too... But it's definitely Gus #1 on that list.
Edit: double post
Quote:I'm starting to think it's not Gus.

Four more years? Gotta gather up an all pro team for him of players other coaches coached up before we start judging whether he's any good, right?
It was a mistake. Gus shouldn't have been kept after year 2.

It ultimately will come down to who we get to replace him this offseason. This year is a wasted year and that frustrates me. A year of player development is gone.

Gus hasn't looked good in any year here. I could see not firing him after year one but after two years I think it would have been acceptable to let him go. He's hired poor assistants from day 1 and that has concerned me. His OC/DC choices have been horrid. That stuff matters, a lot.
Quote:It was a mistake. Gus shouldn't have been kept after year 2.

It ultimately will come down to who we get to replace him this offseason. This year is a wasted year and that frustrates me. A year of player development is gone.

Gus hasn't looked good in any year here. I could see not firing him after year one but after two years I think it would have been acceptable to let him go. He's hired poor assistants from day 1 and that has concerned me. His OC/DC choices have been horrid. That stuff matters, a lot.

Firing him after year 2 would've been 2 regimes gone in 3 years, not a great look for Khan.

Last year was the year for me. Like a number of people here, I think a competent coach would've had 7-8 wins.
Quote:Bradley's extension makes sense. It's a big gamble that he'd do better, and it didn't pay off, but it needed to be done. Khan just needs to man-up admit cut his losses.
The other thing is, the extension doesn't prevent Gus from being fired
Quote:Lol. It may be other things too... But it's definitely Gus #1 on that list.

The bottom line is you need a great QB to win in this league.
What did Dave gain in "continuity?" I fail to see anything we've kept that's made a positive impact, coaching or player wise.

Where are the dividends for the gamble?

I see none.

Are we blindly giving Teflon Dave a pass for being the sole reason Gus is still here?  And for this miserable season?

It's all on Dave.

Dave's justifications of Gus:

"much-needed stability in every respect"

"good standing with our current players"

"deliver the continuity throughout our coaching staff that we think is critical for us to turn the corner"

"best opportunity to win in 2016"

Sorry, but I don't agree that selling a "stable" coaching staff was worth sacrificing every single other point Dave tried to make.

Gus' "good standing" has certainly soured.

The "continuity" was a facade.

We are certainly NOT turning "the corner"

He was right that it has been a "pivotal" season.  One where it's clear to me that if the coach goes, the GM that sold him to us needs to go with him.

Teflon Dave's contract is up in 2017.  I'm sure he'll excuse himself to Khan and ask for an extension to "finish" his job, just the same manner he pitched how important it was to hold on to Gus, too.

Quote:Firing him after year 2 would've been 2 regimes gone in 3 years, not a great look for Khan.

Last year was the year for me. Like a number of people here, I think a competent coach would've had 7-8 wins.

I absolutely understand that. However it has been so bad...I would have understood had they done it.

Last year absolutely should have been the no doubt deal breaker. We should have won several more games than we did against the schedule the way it broke down.

An extension was a bad choice and we're seeing it play out now.
Quote:I absolutely understand that. However it has been so bad...I would have understood had they done it.

Last year absolutely should have been the no doubt deal breaker. We should have won several more games than we did against the schedule the way it broke down.

An extension was a bad choice and we're seeing it play out now.

We agree for the most part then.
Quote:Are we blindly giving Teflon Dave a pass for being the sole reason Gus is still here?  And for this miserable season?

It's all on Dave.

What indication do we have that Caldwell is the sole reason?
Pages: 1 2