Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Caldwell's failures
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
- Hired the worst coach in NFL history and kept him for 4 years.

- Picked 8 players in 2013 and all of them went bust. Admittedly a few other GMs missed too as it was a weak class

- Had 4 years to fix the OLine and hasn't done it

- Payed big money to a mediocre TE in Julius Thomas.

- Its looking like he will have 3 consecutive top 5 busts although the jury is still out on Fowler.
Again, how do we know that Khan didn't override Caldwell's decision to fire Gus because of a gentleman's agreement?

We just don't know..

JT hasn't panned out, but he also needs a half decent QB to get him the ball..

I'm outta excuses for the O-Line. I agree there..
I think Caldwell has done incredible, personally. He's found great talent.

Quote:I think Caldwell has done incredible, personally. He's found great talent.
Found incredible talent that have all had large dropoffs in performance in their third years in Jacksonville. I'm not saying, I'm just saying. 
Quote:I think Caldwell has done incredible, personally. He's found great talent.
I almost missed the sarcasm there.....

Pfffffttt
Quote:Again, how do we know that Khan didn't override Caldwell's decision to fire Gus because of a gentleman's agreement?

We just don't know..

JT hasn't panned out, but he also needs a half decent QB to get him the ball..

I'm outta excuses for the O-Line. I agree there..

Agree yaa Caldwell could have wanted Gus gone last year for all we know.
Caldwell could well be a good GM and its hard to judge his talent evaluation as all of that talent has been infected by the brutal plague of Gus.
For me hiring the worst coach in NFL history and having two top 5 busts in a row would be a good reason to be fire someone but I'd also like to see him with a real coach.

I wonder will he have a lame duck year next year?
Dave's problem has been the insanity of NEEDS based drafting. Bortles could still end up a decent QB, but I don't think Fowler will work out, just seems like a complete idiot with no desire to improve his game. Ramsey looks set to be undeniably good, but probably will leave after his first contract is up for a bigger market.

Caldwell's saving grace so far is he's gotten good talent in the middle and later rounds, but you can't keep drafting guys in the top five that don't make long term contributions to the team. Bortles has 9 more games to show something other than his ability to rack up garbage time stats or I think Caldwell likely will be departing with Gus.

I recall people saying I was being an idiot in the offseason for suggesting that Gus and Dave were tied together and that's why Gus was retained, but it's not looking so far fetched now.