Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: We're in a quagmire going into next season (addressing the head coach and QB situation)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think the conventional wisdom regarding finding the best coach to come in here and take over this job is that it would be one of the most desirable landing spots in the league given the roster situation. But, I'm afraid to say that simply isn't the case. Going into next year, we will be in a similar situation to Gene Smith's last year, where we will hire be with a lame duck GM on the last year of his contract in a must win season with a big question mark at QB who the GM is tied to. No coach is going to want to come into that kind of situation given more options with better job security and more flexibility. Bortles is going to be given next year to prove himself whether we like it or not unless Caldwell is given the boot with Gus at the end of this year, which I doubt will happen.  

So right now, I don't think we will land any of the hot names for coaches that will be on the market next year and will end up like the Browns a few years ago when they hired Mike Pettine. And more likely than not next year will be another dumpster fire season that will result in 2-4 wins. This is why keeping Gus on this year was risky; if it didn't workout, we would be in a bad position to get a decent coach in 2017 and it is playing itself out as we speak. 

All I can say is that we better hope Josh Rosen is the second coming like everyone thought last year because we will be in the tank bowl for a QB next season. You can usually tell what you have with a QB after 3 years and I'm about ready to close the book on Blake, he just doesn't have it right now. He needed a lot more time to sit and learn than we gave him and it is backfiring on us now. I think Blake can salvage his career somewhere else, but not here. The best we can hope for is a similar turnaround as the Eagles had this year in 2018.

Giggity
Agreed - which is why both Dave and Gus have to go after this season.  You can't bring in a new HC and have his hands tied to BB5 and Dave.  Not unless you want a mediocre retread.  

Here comes another rebuild.  

Josh Rosen?!? Bahahaha. That scrub can't even win in college
Quote:Josh Rosen?!? Bahahaha. That scrub can't even win in college

My cousins knows his agent. Says expect big things from him in Chicago.
Unfortunately everything you said was spot on....go baguars
Quote:Josh Rosen?!? Bahahaha. That scrub can't even win in college

Have you seen UCLA? Their running game is as bad as ours and the O-Line looks like turnstiles. That's why Rosen is injured and has nerve damage in his shoulder.