Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Del Rio and Mularkey...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With Del Rio with the Raiders Sunday and Mularkey with the Titans Thursday both crushing the Jaguars, was it a mistake to let either or both of them go?

I don't think it was a mistake.  They didn't have the results to stay.

I think it's apparent now that both of them would be doing far more with our current roster than they did in the past, and certainly more than Gus is doing.

Perfect example of being blinded by the most recent Jaguars losses. It is not 20/20 hindsight when you ignore all of the details. What happened during Jack Del Rio's ninth season? Why did the Jaguars only win one playoff game with him? It is obvious Mike Mularkey was not the right guy to begin with.

LOL on Mularkey

Quote:With Del Rio with the Raiders Sunday and Mularkey with the Titans Thursday both crushing the Jaguars, was it a mistake to let either or both of them go?

I don't think so.

JDR did many good things as Jaguars HC,  including taking the team to the playoffs twice,  beating the Steelers on the road twice in the same season,  and making the Jaguars a smash mouth team on both sides of the ball.   However,  it reached the point that JDR took the team as far as he could,   as eventually players responded in a way that they were tuning out some of his messages.   JDR isn't an elite NFL HC but teams can and have done FAR worse.   I respect him as a HC,  when he was an NFL LB  (  I saw his 3 interception game ),  and as a person.

Because the Jaguars changed GM's in 2013,  it's understandable that then new GM Dave Caldwell went in a different direction regarding Mike Murlakey.   Unless you are on the same page as your HC,   the team has little chance at having major and sustained success.  
Del Rio should still be the coach. Shack at the end hampered him with bad contracts and then they gave him Gene Smith. The hell was he supposed to do with that situation? We give that dude this roster right now I believe we're in first place in this division. I don't believe Murlakey to be a bad coach like that; I know for a fact he isn't worse than Bradley for sure, but I didn't mind him walking. They slipped with Del Rio though.
Is this a serious thread? I would wonder what JDR could have done with a proper GM, but Mularkey no lol

Quote:  I don't think so.

JDR did many good things as Jaguars HC,  including taking the team to the playoffs twice,  beating the Steelers on the road twice in the same season,  and making the Jaguars a smash mouth team on both sides of the ball.   However,  it reached the point that JDR took the team as far as he could,   as eventually players responded in a way that they were tuning out some of his messages.   JDR isn't an elite NFL HC but teams can and have done FAR worse.   I respect him as a HC,  when he was an NFL LB  (  I saw his 3 interception game ),  and as a person.

Because the Jaguars changed GM's in 2013,  it's understandable that then new GM Dave Caldwell went in a different direction regarding Mike Murlakey.   Unless you are on the same page as your HC,   the team has little chance at having major and sustained success.  
D6 your lions should be really hyped up when they play jags. Jags can't win at all. there 2 wins were handed to them as gifts.
It was a mistake to hire Bradley

Quote:It was a mistake to hire Bradley

Someone noted in another thread he may have been the best coach available. Who would you have hired instead?

Not saying Gus Bradley was the right coach for the job, of course.
Quote:D6 your lions should be really hyped up when they play jags. Jags can't win at all. there 2 wins were handed to them as gifts.

Snowwolf,  I'll never take the Jags or any opponent lightly.   The Lions are currently getting healthier,  other than at CB but so much with both teams can change by the time they play.   My approach is to take one game at a time  ( though I enjoy talking about any future games ) and respect the opponent.   One thing the Jags don't lack is talent and potential.  

In general,  even involving a struggling team or a team that's on a roll,   in a single game,   the results potentially can be vastly different.  
Bruce Arians and Bill O-Brien were available.

Coughlin was an unknown before coaching the Jags.  I'm sure we could have found someone better.

Gus was probably the cheapest
Quote:Bruce Arians and Bill O-Brien were available.

Coughlin was an unknown before coaching the Jags.  I'm sure we could have found someone better.

Bruce Arians already had the Cardinals job.
They were hired on the same day, January 17, 2013...A fail by Khan and/or Caldwell.

.....please come back....

Quote:.....please come back....
Baby come back.

Quote:They were hired on the same day, January 17, 2013...A fail by Khan and/or Caldwell.

Shad Khan always said he will hire a GM first. Bruce Arians got the Cardinals job before Khan hired Caldwell.
Del Rio and Murlarkey sitting in a tree...

W.H.I.PP..  ING.. 

First comes loss

Then comes despair

Quote:Del Rio and Murlarkey sitting in a tree...

W.H.I.PP..  ING.. 

First comes loss

Then comes despair

Then comes Gus

Twirling Shad's hair?