Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The running game - How about some more Grant?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can anyone out there explain why we don't utilize Cory Grant more in the running game?  The guy clearly has the ability to get outside, and speed to burn when he gets into the second and third levels.  When he is on the field with special teams, he is obviously a proven threat to take it to the house.  With the current state of our O-Line, it seems like we could benefit from a bit more running outside the tackles, and Grant seems like he would be more than effective at this.  I'm not saying put him in in goal line situations, but how about a screen pass or play action?  Get him into space and let him work. Does he have issues blocking / picking up the blitz?  Fumbling issues?  Is he in Tyrone Wheatley's doghouse?  He couldn't be any worse than Chris Ivory has been lately.  And Fournette is clearly only 75%, if even that.  Seems like we are just wasting a lot of potential talent.
Gotta save his energy for those long explosive fake punt runs.
Corey needs space to make you miss, but surely they can find ways to get him a few more snaps per game.
(11-29-2017, 12:09 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]Corey needs space to make you miss, but surely they can find ways to get him a few more snaps per game.

I like the idea of finding 5 or 6 offensive snaps per game for Grant moving forward.  They did it in a few games earlier in the season and got away from it.  Not sure why.  Maybe he had some ball security issues in practice or something.
(11-29-2017, 12:41 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-29-2017, 12:09 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]Corey needs space to make you miss, but surely they can find ways to get him a few more snaps per game.

I like the idea of finding 5 or 6 offensive snaps per game for Grant moving forward.  They did it in a few games earlier in the season and got away from it.  Not sure why.  Maybe he had some ball security issues in practice or something.

Ivory has those issues in every game but they still keep trotting his slow [BLEEP] out there on a weekly basis.
(12-01-2017, 09:11 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-29-2017, 12:41 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I like the idea of finding 5 or 6 offensive snaps per game for Grant moving forward.  They did it in a few games earlier in the season and got away from it.  Not sure why.  Maybe he had some ball security issues in practice or something.

Ivory has those issues in every game but they still keep trotting his slow [BLEEP] out there on a weekly basis.
Ivory and Yeldon both seem to fumble.

No idea why Grant doesn't get more burn but maybe that changes soon. I feel like Ivory should be the odd man out here. Yeldon is good on 3rd down. Fournette is da GOAT which means Grant could be the spell guy.
Because in previous years Grant did nothing with more carries.
I think they feel Grant needs a decent run lane to get positive yards. They also must not trust his pass protection as much as the other backs. Based on those two beliefs and since our OL has been banged up and struggling of late he hasn't seen the offensive snaps that he was getting earlier in the season when the OL was healthy. I'm not saying I agree with that but I'm pretty sure that is why we aren't seeing him out there in the last few games.

That said, I would also like to see them find a way to get him 4-5 more touches a game. His speed, if used right, can be a difference maker for us on offense.
(12-02-2017, 11:03 AM)Teal Time Radio Wrote: [ -> ]Because in previous years Grant did nothing with more carries.

Actually in his 1 start, the last game of last year he had over 100 yards
We only need a few big plays a game to win. Grant gives us a better shot at making them.

I'll be interested to see how we use the no huddle this week. Grant should definitely get a series or two.
(12-02-2017, 11:45 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-02-2017, 11:03 AM)Teal Time Radio Wrote: [ -> ]Because in previous years Grant did nothing with more carries.

Actually in his 1 start, the last game of last year he had over 100 yards

I was going to mention other than that.  But this line ya don't want a guy that small running behind it.  He is not sanders.

When have they ever fed Grant?
(12-02-2017, 10:45 PM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]

When have they ever fed Grant?

They tried several times last year.  But he didn't help much. Other than that one game. Now. Not saying they shouldn't.  Just saying behind this banged up line.  Would serve no purpose.  

Lightning can't run through a wall and expect great results.
Incredible win yesterday. Playoffs have been a long time coming. Regarding this original post...I know Grant came in against a beat up and beat down D-Line that had given up long ago, but it was still nice to see those flashes of speed again. Nice patience and elusiveness on the TD run as well. Hope to see more of that change of pace in the playoffs.
I wouldnt mind seeing grant more involved. I also wouldmt mind never seeing chris ivory carry the ball in a jags uniform again. He bad.
(12-18-2017, 01:42 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldnt mind seeing grant more involved. I also wouldmt mind never seeing chris ivory carry the ball in a jags uniform again. He bad.
Aside from Ivorys spin move yesterday, he wasn't very good. I still like Yeldon but Grant needs more touches.
I'm good with it. Especially if it means we're running clock in the 4th Q.
Grant's touches yesterday were more about resting starters than scheme IMO, but I still wish they'd scheme a half dozen C.O.P. type touches for him each week.