Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Major Developments and Exciting Next Month for the Jags
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Months ago I was mocked by members on this very board for bemoaning the Jags unusually low power ranking after week one's dominating performance. As it turns out, I was right and the naysayers were wrong. We are now 8th on ESPN's Power Rankings which will serve us well when it comes down to bracketing the playoff. I feel the NFL Committee will have no choice but to give us a home game if we can win 2/4, but that's a different conversation for a different day.

And now what I think will be exciting news for our franchise....

I truly believe from the bottom of my heart that the NFL will change the MVP award from Most Valuable Player, to Most Valuable Person. Based on the lack of stand out players this NFL season, I think the NFL will change the name and qualifications for this award quietly in week 14 or 15, and this award of Most Valuable Person will go to Jaguars President Tom Coughlin. Mr. Coughlin has taken us from one of the worst teams in the NFL, to what many insiders say will be a team that will be favored to win the Super Bowl come this February. He has done a masterful job in teaching Doug Marrone how to coach, an even better job of tutoring Blake Bortles who has gone from a bad quarterback to one of the most electric in the AFC South. To measure Tom Coughlin's abilities, one must only look at the mess  the NY Giants have become since he left and joined back up with us. I know this thinking may  be somewhat outside the box to some, but dangit Goodell, for once do the right thing! Name Tom Coughln MVP of the NFL.

On a different note, I  feel strongly that the President of the AFC West should also do the right thing, and forfeit their divisions automatic bid to the playoffs this year. To me, the playoffs should be made up of the best teams, and there is not one deserving team in the entire bunch. The Chiefs have the most talent, but a terrible coach. The Raiders have the best coach, but horrible talent. It's very possible that the winner of this division might have a losing record or at best a .500 record.  To make things even worse, these bad teams get to play against each other several times throughout the year - What a joke!!! The Jags are the only team to beat Pittsburgh and New England this season, have a 4-0 record vs. the AFC North, and could possibly have to play whomever advances out of of this division in the playoffs. While I welcome an easy Jags win, I am just fearful for the safety of whatever opponent might surface. I spent the better part of the morning trying to figure out who the president of the AFC West was, with no success otherwise I would have just emailed him or her directly. The only other rational thing to consider would be allowing the AFC West to form an all star team to play it's divisions first round play off game. 

Big Game this weekend. We cannot overlook Seattle. This is the definition of a "tweener" game between two outstanding conference foes, meaning a clearly inferior opponent falls in between two excellent football teams. I think Marrone and MVP Coughlin will have the Jags ready! 

#Yearofthejag
Do you really think that ESPN power rankings have anything to do with playoff slotting?

And you wonder why people are always "mocking" you.
I agree the NFL Selection Committee has much to think about in the coming weeks. I commend Miami going for 2 late in the Denver game and actually wish Marone had the awareness that we need to score "style points" to get the one seed and home field advantage throughout the playoffs
I've had my points of contention with you over the years, #1, but on this I think we can completely agree, before Coughlin came back I was experiencing chronic eye pains every time I watched the Jaguars play, since he's returned the pain had only happened a handful of times this season. Clearly there are unseen forces at work here and while MVP is a good start I think anything short of canonization would be woefully disrespectful for what this incredible person has done for all the world.

I'd even say he should be the first to be bestowed sainthood while he's still alive. No need to wait until after he dies in another 60 years.
(12-05-2017, 01:40 PM)Norman Mushari Wrote: [ -> ]Do you really think that ESPN power rankings have anything to do with playoff slotting?

And you wonder why people are always "mocking" you.

Who's being naive, Kay?
Selection committee?
SELECTION COMMITTEES!!!!!!!
The posts are whatever...
the comments and reactions from those not in the know are priceless.
(12-05-2017, 03:12 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]The posts are whatever...
the comments and reactions from those not in the know are priceless.

Absolutely
In the absence of J-DUB let me chime in with a few facts that I'm sure she would have pointed out:
1) There are now message board power rankings
2) The NFL is not going to change the definition of MVP just because the Jags obtained a valuable asset to their front office
3) Even if the AFC West could defer their automatic bid, it wouldn't make sense to do so
4) Seattle is better than the Colts and Texans so calling this a tweener game (aka trap game) is ludicrous.
#MeToo
(12-05-2017, 03:24 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]In the absence of J-DUB let me chime in with a few facts that I'm sure she would have pointed out:
2) The NFL is not going to change the definition of MVP just because the Jags obtained a valuable asset to their front office
3) Even if the AFC West could defer their automatic bid, it wouldn't make sense to do so
4) Seattle is better than the Colts and Texans so calling this a tweener game (aka trap game) is ludicrous.
#MeToo

Oh you didn't notice....?

it's back.
(12-05-2017, 04:00 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-05-2017, 03:24 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]In the absence of J-DUB let me chime in with a few facts that I'm sure she would have pointed out:
#MeToo

Oh you didn't notice....?

it's back.

Uh Oh .... I guess I spoke too soon.

The playoffs seedings are done by W-L records. There is no committee.
I really like the fact that the NFL changed the rules this year to a committee approach like they do in college. Makes it much more exciting, more so than Alabama vs Ohio State for the final slot will be the Patriots vs Jaguars for the number 1 seed.  

Since the tiebreaker goes to the head to head results, the Jaguars get the top seed based on their defeat of the Patriots.  
(12-05-2017, 01:25 PM)Omaha\s Number 1JAGSFAN Wrote: [ -> ]even better job of tutoring Blake Bortles who has gone from a bad quarterback to one of the most electric in the AFC South.

One of the most electric in the AFC South? There is only 4 QB's in the AFC South. "One of the most electric" means he is at least tied with someone for "Most Electric".

Colts and Texans both have their starting QB's out for the year.... so... essentially you are saying that he is tied with the Mark Mariota for "Most Electric"... just edging out Jacoby "Beef" Briskett and Tom Savage...

BOLD
(12-05-2017, 01:25 PM)Omaha\s Number 1JAGSFAN Wrote: [ -> ]Months ago I was mocked by members on this very board for bemoaning the Jags unusually low power ranking after week one's dominating performance. As it turns out, I was right and the naysayers were wrong. We are now 8th on ESPN's Power Rankings which will serve us well when it comes down to bracketing the playoff. I feel the NFL Committee will have no choice but to give us a home game if we can win 2/4, but that's a different conversation for a different day.

And now what I think will be exciting news for our franchise....

I truly believe from the bottom of my heart that the NFL will change the MVP award from Most Valuable Player, to Most Valuable Person. Based on the lack of stand out players this NFL season, I think the NFL will change the name and qualifications for this award quietly in week 14 or 15, and this award of Most Valuable Person will go to Jaguars President Tom Coughlin. Mr. Coughlin has taken us from one of the worst teams in the NFL, to what many insiders say will be a team that will be favored to win the Super Bowl come this February. He has done a masterful job in teaching Doug Marrone how to coach, an even better job of tutoring Blake Bortles who has gone from a bad quarterback to one of the most electric in the AFC South. To measure Tom Coughlin's abilities, one must only look at the mess  the NY Giants have become since he left and joined back up with us. I know this thinking may  be somewhat outside the box to some, but dangit Goodell, for once do the right thing! Name Tom Coughln MVP of the NFL.

On a different note, I  feel strongly that the President of the AFC West should also do the right thing, and forfeit their divisions automatic bid to the playoffs this year. To me, the playoffs should be made up of the best teams, and there is not one deserving team in the entire bunch. The Chiefs have the most talent, but a terrible coach. The Raiders have the best coach, but horrible talent. It's very possible that the winner of this division might have a losing record or at best a .500 record.  To make things even worse, these bad teams get to play against each other several times throughout the year - What a joke!!! The Jags are the only team to beat Pittsburgh and New England this season, have a 4-0 record vs. the AFC North, and could possibly have to play whomever advances out of of this division in the playoffs. While I welcome an easy Jags win, I am just fearful for the safety of whatever opponent might surface. I spent the better part of the morning trying to figure out who the president of the AFC West was, with no success otherwise I would have just emailed him or her directly. The only other rational thing to consider would be allowing the AFC West to form an all star team to play it's divisions first round play off game. 

Big Game this weekend. We cannot overlook Seattle. This is the definition of a "tweener" game between two outstanding conference foes, meaning a clearly inferior opponent falls in between two excellent football teams. I think Marrone and MVP Coughlin will have the Jags ready! 

#Yearofthejag

Preach it brother
This thread has my mustache all tangled up
(12-05-2017, 01:25 PM)Omaha\s Number 1JAGSFAN Wrote: [ -> ]On a different note, I  feel strongly that the President of the AFC West should also do the right thing, and forfeit their divisions automatic bid to the playoffs this year. To me, the playoffs should be made up of the best teams, and there is not one deserving team in the entire bunch. The Chiefs have the most talent, but a terrible coach. The Raiders have the best coach, but horrible talent. It's very possible that the winner of this division might have a losing record or at best a .500 record.  To make things even worse, these bad teams get to play against each other several times throughout the year - What a joke!!!

It's hard to explain the Chiefs losing skid and maybe their time management is playing a role, but the Chiefs have one of the best HC's in the game. I don't get why you're calling him "terrible." Actually when I watch the Chiefs in their recent losses they're still playing some exciting football.  I wouldn't count them out just yet, although the Chargers are looking even better.

BTW, does anyone else suspect the Broncos are purposely tanking for draft position?
(12-06-2017, 12:53 AM)brianmsbc Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-05-2017, 01:25 PM)Omaha\s Number 1JAGSFAN Wrote: [ -> ]even better job of tutoring Blake Bortles who has gone from a bad quarterback to one of the most electric in the AFC South.

One of the most electric in the AFC South? There is only 4 QB's in the AFC South. "One of the most electric" means he is at least tied with someone for "Most Electric".

Colts and Texans both have their starting QB's out for the year.... so... essentially you are saying that he is tied with the Mark Mariota for "Most Electric"... just edging out Jacoby "Beef" Briskett and Tom Savage...

BOLD

Look Bucko you can't be the best quarterback in the NFL until you assume the position of best quarterback in your own division. Baby steps. It's not our fault that our medical team and offensive line protects our QB's better than the Colts and the Texans do. Maybe you should study the game of football when you get some free time. Jeez!!!
I think the Jags not trading with NE for their backup QB and moving him to kicker may come back to bite us.
Pages: 1 2