Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Prevent/soft zone.... What's the deal?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know allot of you guys don't want us to play prevent defense any longer seeing as it cost us at least one game this year and nearly got us again today.... But playing prevent is not the problem, in fact I would make the case that we are not playing prevent... Our at the very best, we are not playing it correctly.

The prevent /soft zone concept is designed to allow opponents to gain small amounts of yards while depleting the game clock. The design is to kill any opportunity for a big play.... Therein lies the problem... Prevent, the way we are playing it, is not limiting the abilities of the opponent to make a big play. In fact it seems to be encouraging them to try.

I think the coaches need to reevaluate the concepts and execution of the prevent defense as they want to run it, and point out the deficiencies and solidify alignments and assignments of the players in those situations. 

We can't let the most basic of defensive concepts cost us another game, or even allow it to bring another game back to a close contest when it was firmly in hand. 

By the way, we play man coverage defense better than any other team in the game, why not just do what we do best, force them to beat us at our best, or beat them doing what we do best. Seems  to be the best way to me.

Go Jags!
Man under 2/3 deep. It shouldn't be that complicated.
Well I understand the need to back off but when your players are confused by it and you blow coverages you're doing the exact opposite of what you want. Either correct that or trash it. That was terrible and should have cost us the game.
We had linebackers covering slots downfield again. Shouldn't happen but if any team knows how to get that matchup Vs our defense it's Seattle. Coverage busters.
Hell I think we should have only sent 3 after Wilson anyway on that last bomb they torched us with. I agree.
91% sure people are just assuming they were in a prevent defense because of the score.
Telvin Smith is why. Cause Po Z and Jack have to cover more ground. A rookie won't give same result. Most think due to only secondary.

But honestly when ya lose a piece of your D. That plays lights out. It affects stuff.

And no one was factoring the returner to go deep out of no where.
(12-10-2017, 11:47 PM)Teal Time Radio Wrote: [ -> ]Telvin Smith is why.  Cause Po Z and Jack have to cover more ground. A rookie won't give same result.  Most think due to only secondary.  

But honestly when ya lose a piece of your D.  That plays lights out.   It affects stuff.  

And no one was factoring the returner to go deep out of no where.

???

Rookie?

Returner?

???
Wow how many people watched the game lol

The first one they got caught looking in the back field. Wilson was sacked and came of it and hit them long. The second Church got beat or a blow coverage. They never played prevent. They played their regular defense and should have been playing prevent at that point. Up 17 with 10 minutes in the fourth make them use clock to score

That was poor coaching. I mean I get it play your style of defense but at that point trade yardage for clock
Looked like a 4-3 cover 2 to me. Gonna rewarch
Nope.
Both were 3 deep.
The corners didn't retreat deep enough on both.
And we usually have Telvin run with slots when facing 4 WRs. We rarely use dime personnel