Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Impressions From the Texans Game 12/17/17
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
At last!  After ten years in the wilderness of irrelevance and mediocrity at best, the Jaguars have finally made the playoffs!  Yes, no longer is it the word we dare not utter.  We now have tangible football action for Jaguars fans in January...and I'm not talking the Senior Bowl!  Here are my thoughts on the game.

1.  As a STH since 1995, I have seen every Jaguars QB from Beuerlein to Bortles.  In that span of over two decades, I have seen some good performances by the offense.  But I say this in all seriousness, today was the most dominant passing game performance I've ever seen from a Jaguars' QB.  The much maligned Blake Bortles absolutely dismantled the Texans' secondary, and he did it with two rookies:  a 4th round pick (Westbrook) an undrafted free agent (Cole), and a mid season waiver wire pickup (Mickens).  Bortles was on fire.  His close quarters TD throw to Mickens (the 2nd one) was placed perfectly, as ere many others.  Those throws on the corner and crossing routes were lethal, and I'm sure the Texans don't want to see either of those patterns again for the rest of the year.  It's as if Bortles has found a new favorite toy on those patterns.  I am stoked to see him play at this level!  If he keeps this up, we're going to have a lot of fun these next few weeks.

2.  I wasn't in the NEZ, but I was sure with them in spirit when they started chanting "We want fifty!"  It was apparent by the end of the first quarter that Houston did not belong on the same field with the Jaguars.  Our beloved cats could have named the score, and I can only think of one more deserving recipient of such humiliation:  the tacks.  Otherwise, stomping the Texans will do for now. 

3.  While we didn't get to see another ten sack performance against the Texans, the defense got very good pressure on Yates most of the game.  Campbell notched two sacks, and now has 15 or so for the year.  Ngakoue got one, as did Fowler and Jackson.  The Texans' OL could not block them at all.  I only wish that fumble that was returned for a TD by Jack would have stood.  Jaguars fans wanted blood there-at least I know I did.

4.  About the only player that didn't have a very good game was Ramsey.  Actually he was good for most of the game, but had one drive where Hopkins got the better of him.  He gave up a deep pass jump ball where Hopkins was about a yard or two in front of him on an underthrown ball, and just jumped in front of him to get it.  He then got beat  on the TD.  Later, he looked like he was slow getting off the field, as if he was holding his knee.  After the game he was still dressed in his uniform and seemed okay, but I hope he is healthy.  Hopins won this matchup individually, but fortunately, the Jaguars won the team matchup.

5.  Mickens has been an absolutely amazing find.  He is an electrifying punt returner, and has done some damage in the passing game with his two TDs.  To get that kind of performance from a mid season pickup-not even a trade-has been huge for us.

6.  Special teams continues to perform at a high level outside of Mickens.  Lambo hit a FG and hooked the extra point inside.  Myers would have missed that.  Nortman absolutely flipped the field on a second half punt.  Coverage was outstanding, too.

7.  Rookie Watch:
  • Leonard Fournette-DNP
  • Cam Robinson-played well against Clowney.  Did not give up a sack (I don't think).
  • Dawaune Smoot-showed very good pursuit in chasing a run down from behind.
  • DeDe Westbrook-had a nice punt return and some nice catches.
  • Jalen Myrick-Saw him in the game but nothing about his play stuck out to me
  • Keelan Cole-wow!  7 catches for 186 yards and a TD which should have been two if he weren't caught at the one.  The Jaguars have something in him with these deep crossing routes and corner routes.  Marqise Lee is good at running these underneath crossing routes, but Cole is great at running the deep ones, and he is catching the balls he dropped earlier in the year.  With his and Bortles' performance of late, teams should be less inclined to put eight in the box.
8.  Great to see Bohannon get not one but two TDs.

9.On the way home, I heard Clowney refer to Bortles as "trash."  Funny thing is, most people sweep trash.  This year, "trash" swept Clowney and the Texans.

10.  Fantastic!  Fantastic!  Fantastic!  We are playing well at the right time of year.  We are in the playoffs, and right now, the sky is the limit.  As I type this, Pittsburgh is beating New England.  If that score holds, we will be the second seed if we win out.  It is a great day to be a Jaguars fan.
I still think Bottles in Denver is best QB performance for our offense but for a home regular season game, you maybe right.

Wow auto correct changed Brunell to Bottles that is odd.
Bortles is NBA Jam style ON FIRE! A good QB can make any receivers better. Blake is rocking it with three basically rookies!
(12-17-2017, 07:29 PM)Teal Time Radio Wrote: [ -> ]Bortles is NBA Jam style ON FIRE!     A good QB can make any receivers better.    Blake is rocking it with three basically  rookies!

He looked like he was playing Madden on rookie mode today.
(12-17-2017, 07:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-17-2017, 07:29 PM)Teal Time Radio Wrote: [ -> ]Bortles is NBA Jam style ON FIRE!     A good QB can make any receivers better.    Blake is rocking it with three basically  rookies!

He finnaly "Gets it!"

(12-17-2017, 07:36 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]

Very true.  I hate to admit it.  Space is right.  Blake is greeeeeeat!
Clowney’s comment means jack! He spent much of his time on the ground or crying about his shoulder. Even our backups scored on him.
Clowney and his fellow Clowns got their clown butts kicked!
(12-17-2017, 07:17 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]At last!  After ten years in the wilderness of irrelevance and mediocrity at best, the Jaguars have finally made the playoffs!  Yes, no longer is it the word we dare not utter.  We now have tangible football action for Jaguars fans in January...and I'm not talking the Senior Bowl!  Here are my thoughts on the game.

1.  As a STH since 1995, I have seen every Jaguars QB from Beuerlein to Bortles.  In that span of over two decades, I have seen some good performances by the offense.  But I say this in all seriousness, today was the most dominant passing game performance I've ever seen from a Jaguars' QB.  The much maligned Blake Bortles absolutely dismantled the Texans' secondary, and he did it with two rookies:  a 4th round pick (Westbrook) an undrafted free agent (Cole), and a mid season waiver wire pickup (Mickens).  Bortles was on fire.  His close quarters TD throw to Mickens (the 2nd one) was placed perfectly, as ere many others.  Those throws on the corner and crossing routes were lethal, and I'm sure the Texans don't want to see either of those patterns again for the rest of the year.  It's as if Bortles has found a new favorite toy on those patterns.  I am stoked to see him play at this level!  If he keeps this up, we're going to have a lot of fun these next few weeks.

2.  I wasn't in the NEZ, but I was sure with them in spirit when they started chanting "We want fifty!"  It was apparent by the end of the first quarter that Houston did not belong on the same field with the Jaguars.  Our beloved cats could have named the score, and I can only think of one more deserving recipient of such humiliation:  the tacks.  Otherwise, stomping the Texans will do for now. 

3.  While we didn't get to see another ten sack performance against the Texans, the defense got very good pressure on Yates most of the game.  Campbell notched two sacks, and now has 15 or so for the year.  Ngakoue got one, as did Fowler and Jackson.  The Texans' OL could not block them at all.  I only wish that fumble that was returned for a TD by Jack would have stood.  Jaguars fans wanted blood there-at least I know I did.

4.  About the only player that didn't have a very good game was Ramsey.  Actually he was good for most of the game, but had one drive where Hopkins got the better of him.  He gave up a deep pass jump ball where Hopkins was about a yard or two in front of him on an underthrown ball, and just jumped in front of him to get it.  He then got beat  on the TD.  Later, he looked like he was slow getting off the field, as if he was holding his knee.  After the game he was still dressed in his uniform and seemed okay, but I hope he is healthy.  Hopins won this matchup individually, but fortunately, the Jaguars won the team matchup.

5.  Mickens has been an absolutely amazing find.  He is an electrifying punt returner, and has done some damage in the passing game with his two TDs.  To get that kind of performance from a mid season pickup-not even a trade-has been huge for us.

6.  Special teams continues to perform at a high level outside of Mickens.  Lambo hit a FG and hooked the extra point inside.  Myers would have missed that.  Nortman absolutely flipped the field on a second half punt.  Coverage was outstanding, too.

7.  Rookie Watch:
  • Leonard Fournette-DNP
  • Cam Robinson-played well against Clowney.  Did not give up a sack (I don't think).
  • Keelan Cole-wow!  7 catches for 186 yards and a TD which should have been two if he weren't caught at the one.  The Jaguars have something in him with these deep crossing routes and corner routes.  Marqise Lee is good at running these underneath crossing routes, but Cole is great at running the deep ones, and he is catching the balls he dropped earlier in the year.  With his and Bortles' performance of late, teams should be less inclined to put eight in the box.

9.On the way home, I heard Clowney refer to Bortles as "trash."  Funny thing is, most people sweep trash.  This year, "trash" swept Clowney and the Texans.

10.  Fantastic!  Fantastic!  Fantastic!  We are playing well at the right time of year.  We are in the playoffs, and right now, the sky is the limit.  As I type this, Pittsburgh is beating New England.  If that score holds, we will be the second seed if we win out.  It is a great day to be a Jaguars fan.
Great re-cap.

Steelers get robbed of a TD.  TE's hand is under the ball.  Yes, it moved, but never touched the ground.  At least that's the way it looked to me through my teal-colored glasses.
(12-17-2017, 09:04 PM)Rockman1966 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-17-2017, 07:17 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]At last!  After ten years in the wilderness of irrelevance and mediocrity at best, the Jaguars have finally made the playoffs!  Yes, no longer is it the word we dare not utter.  We now have tangible football action for Jaguars fans in January...and I'm not talking the Senior Bowl!  Here are my thoughts on the game.

7.  Rookie Watch:
  • Leonard Fournette-DNP

Great re-cap.

Steelers get robbed of a TD.  TE's hand is under the ball.  Yes, it moved, but never touched the ground.  At least that's the way it looked to me through my teal-colored glasses.

Thing is the Steelers are usually the beneficiaries of bogus calls like that.

Good news is that the tacks lost.  They are two games out with two games left, and they host the Rams before us.
The one area I was worried about regarding Blake is,how he handles the blitz.
I was happy to see improvement here.The long 75 yard reception the Cole came with Blake throwing a dime off back foot,because 2 Lbs came hard on delayed blitz.
3 weeks ago I was thinking Blake was barely off with the rookies and I felt with another week or 2 they would click.
It happened.
Cole and Westbrook run all the way through their routes.
The get separation as well.
And they're both pretty fast with Cole being a Lil faster.
Blake is also in command of the offense now and he's audibiling out of doomed plays.
Which he has never done in hackett's offense.
That's why he looks so.much better.
Because he is
Been waiting for him to burn the blitz. Nice progress.
Can Mickens be a good 3?Look like it today
Nice recap Bullseye. I'm still enjoying this game too much to make a thoughtful reply.
Dilly Dilly!!
We were 3-13 last year, let that sink in, I’m just god smacked
(12-17-2017, 10:47 PM)jag2543 Wrote: [ -> ]We were 3-13 last year, let that sink in, I’m just god smacked

That must hurt!

As I posted in the game time thread, the performance of the WRs today is testament to the coaching abilities of Keenan McCardell. He has his rookies performing with confidence and enthusiasm.
Irony is Gene Smith was a small school guy but Caldwell and the scouts have crushed it without forcing it. Keenan Cole has killed it down the stretch.
Ive watched through all the good and bad years.

Brunell to leftwich to garrad to gabbert to henne to bortles.

Bortles right now is playing better than brunell ever did. His confidence with his receivers right now.is huge. Hes hitting guys in the fingertips instead of there back.

This is fun, I love my jags but this makes it so much more fun to have the Jags back in the playoffs.

If hurrns comes back this year and Lee we. ave a very deadly 5 wr set of receivers all capable if tearing the back off.
Everyone here should be feeling good.

We earned this boys and girls!
Pages: 1 2