Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Cole, Westbrook and Mickens
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has there ever been a speedier 3 wide receiver combo for the Jags? If they can stay healthy, they could pose a definite challenge for  opposing defenses in the playoffs. I am seeing separation on almost every play.
we still def need hurns and or lee though for a playoff run... hurns is a posession guy that the others arent, and lee is pretty crafty getting open on shorter routes as well
I like it. We may have to roll with these three...which ain't so bad. This combination might an advantage that helps Bortles out. Not to take anything away from Robnson, Hurns, or Lee. But if our current lineup is getting more separation, that may reduce the interceptions, if Bortles keeps hitting the receivers in stride.
Boselli was just on 1010XL Jaguar's Monday. He was saying that Houston's DBs could just not keep up with Cole, Westbrook and Mickens. Cole and Westbrook are so fast and Mickens so quick. Next week will be interesting to see if they can create consistent separation again. I think those guys can really open up the defense for Fournette.
I gotta say that I was always a fan of the Allens and Lee and of course I can't wait to have them back, but I've been extremely impressed with the Rookies. I've followed Jaydon, Keelan, and Dede from the injuries, roster changes, etc. I knew once Jaydon came in to replace mccaffrey we had someone. That was solidified after the first punt return TD. The are poised for victory so early, and have the right experienced guys around them like Marcades and and Yeldon, and it's that magic feeing that I don't think anyone else could be feeling right now. Those youngin's are fast, smart, and are learning the most important lesson of all...patience and appreciation, that could take us to the sperbowl imo
(12-18-2017, 09:37 PM)BortlesForPrez Wrote: [ -> ]I gotta say that I was always a fan of the Allens and Lee and of course I can't wait to have them back, but I've been extremely impressed with the Rookies. I've followed Jaydon, Keelan, and Dede from the injuries, roster changes, etc. I knew once Jaydon came in to replace mccaffrey we had someone. That was solidified after the first punt return TD. The are poised for victory so early, and have the right experienced guys around them like Marcades and and Yeldon, and it's that magic feeing that I don't think anyone else could be feeling right now. Those youngin's are fast, smart, and are learning the most important lesson of all...patience and appreciation, that could take us to the sperbowl imo

Agree. Plus I think Coach McCardell has played a big part in getting them ready and extracting the best of their abilities.
(12-18-2017, 09:46 PM)burt1jason Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-18-2017, 09:37 PM)BortlesForPrez Wrote: [ -> ]I gotta say that I was always a fan of the Allens and Lee and of course I can't wait to have them back, but I've been extremely impressed with the Rookies. I've followed Jaydon, Keelan, and Dede from the injuries, roster changes, etc. I knew once Jaydon came in to replace mccaffrey we had someone. That was solidified after the first punt return TD. The are poised for victory so early, and have the right experienced guys around them like Marcades and and Yeldon, and it's that magic feeing that I don't think anyone else could be feeling right now. Those youngin's are fast, smart, and are learning the most important lesson of all...patience and appreciation, that could take us to the sperbowl imo

Agree. Plus I think Coach McCardell has played a big part in getting them ready and extracting the best of their abilities.

Exactly.

You can't teach speed, but you can absolutely teach better route running and McCardell definitely knew a thing or two about getting open with great route running. Proper technique and route running will only then make it easier for them to take advantage and use of their speed.
(12-18-2017, 09:31 PM)burt1jason Wrote: [ -> ]Boselli was just on 1010XL Jaguar's Monday. He was saying that Houston's DBs could just not keep up with Cole, Westbrook and Mickens. Cole and Westbrook are so fast and Mickens so quick. Next week will be interesting to see if they can create consistent separation again. I think those guys can really open up the defense for Fournette.

Cole is pretty consistently in the Next Gen top 5 fastest ball carriers. Usually right around 3/4. 

The whole team is much faster this year.
Was Jerry sullivan overrated as a receivers coach? Seems like keenan is doing just as good a job if not better
(12-19-2017, 05:45 PM)areed018 Wrote: [ -> ]Was Jerry sullivan overrated as a receivers coach? Seems like keenan is doing just as good a job if not better

Yes. Keenan knows the WR position as well as any coach out there. Just because Sullivan coached greats doesn't mean he was great. Heck I could coach Randy Moss. 

Coaches coach and players play. They still gotta go out there and make plays.
(12-19-2017, 05:45 PM)areed018 Wrote: [ -> ]Was Jerry sullivan overrated as a receivers coach? Seems like keenan is doing just as good a job if not better

Don't discount Sullivan merely based on Keenan's success. It's ok to give both their due, they deserve it.
Good coaching from McCardell too probably.

I'd bet big money that Allen Hurns and A-Rob would have a lot to say to the contrary. 

Those two clearly learned valuable skills from Sullivan and while Keenan is doing a great job, that fact doesn't diminish Sullivan's work an any way. Zero correlation.
(12-20-2017, 09:46 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]

I'd bet big money that Allen Hurns and A-Rob would have a lot to say to the contrary. 

Those two clearly learned valuable skills from Sullivan and while Keenan is doing a great job, that fact doesn't diminish Sullivan's work an any way. Zero correlation.

A-Rob was supposed to be good. Lee was a disappointment under Sullivan... Allen Hurns is an impressive feather in Sullivans hat... BUT

3 rookies... two of them undrafted, and all 3 are STUDS... that is incredible.
(12-20-2017, 10:25 AM)brianmsbc Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-20-2017, 09:46 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I'd bet big money that Allen Hurns and A-Rob would have a lot to say to the contrary. 

A-Rob was supposed to be good. Lee was a disappointment under Sullivan... Allen Hurns is an impressive feather in Sullivans hat... BUT

That's a nice testament to the work of McCardell (as well as Caldwell and his scouts.) 

If would imagine you could assume that Keenan does a great job of relating to the young players - and there's no doubt he's done good work with these rookies - but trying to use that as a way to diminish Sullivan (as a prior poster did) is pretty stupid, IMO.
(12-20-2017, 10:25 AM)brianmsbc Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-20-2017, 09:46 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I'd bet big money that Allen Hurns and A-Rob would have a lot to say to the contrary. 

Mickens isn't a rookie and has played in 2 games. Stud? C'mon man... simmer down.
As for Cole and Westbrook, they shown some spark for sure but you're going to credit the coach for them being fast?
If Keenan is so awesome why has Lee still been a bit of a disappointment?
Perhaps the young guys without a lot of tape have had success against a couple bad pass defenses and aren't future HOFers just yet?

It's weird when people try to connect dots that just aren't really there.
(12-19-2017, 09:41 PM)rollerjag Wrote: [ -> ]

Don't discount Sullivan merely based on Keenan's success. It's ok to give both their due, they deserve it.

Absolutely right.
(12-20-2017, 12:15 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-20-2017, 10:25 AM)brianmsbc Wrote: [ -> ]A-Rob was supposed to be good. Lee was a disappointment under Sullivan... Allen Hurns is an impressive feather in Sullivans hat... BUT

Mickens isn't a rookie and has played in 2 games. Stud? C'mon man... simmer down.
As for Cole and Westbrook, they shown some spark for sure but you're going to credit the coach for them being fast?
Perhaps the young guys without a lot of tape have had success against a couple bad pass defenses and aren't future HOFers just yet?

What are you, the excitement police? It's weird that you take everything someone says completely literal, tear them down, then exaggerate their message. You must be a joy to be around.

You DO REALIZE that Mickens is an alternate for the Pro Bowl right? And Lee is much improved this year.
Don't forget we have Greene and Wynn on IR. That's an impressive list top to bottom to say the least.
(12-20-2017, 12:15 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-20-2017, 10:25 AM)brianmsbc Wrote: [ -> ]A-Rob was supposed to be good. Lee was a disappointment under Sullivan... Allen Hurns is an impressive feather in Sullivans hat... BUT

2 games? You're essentially still a rookie. No, you can't credit McCardell for them being fast......but you can credit him for precise rout running. Although Keenan was not a speedy receiver, he never had much trouble getting open. Match high speed or quickness with precise rout running......and you have a deadly combination. Now, have 3 of these guys on the field at the same time.......
Pages: 1 2