Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Marcell Dareus?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Don't want to start another 50 page thread... but he seems to have been quiet the last few weeks. 

Anyone know how he is doing? I know he wasn't brought in to get sacks... moreso to be that immovable rock in the middle of the line. I'm just always looking for his number and never see it.
Our run defense has gotten better each week since his arrival.
In his time here we went from near last 28th iirc, to 20th overall.
We still give up the 4th most rush yards per attempt though...

I think since his arrival we have yet to give up a 100 yard rusher. And teams haven't been able to run nearly as effective as they were.

If we aren't hearing his name... it's probably a good thing I reckon. He's doing what he was signed up to do. Clog holes and eat up space.
(12-18-2017, 05:22 PM)brianmsbc Wrote: [ -> ]Don't want to start another 50 page thread... but he seems to have been quiet the last few weeks. 

Anyone know how he is doing? I know he wasn't brought in to get sacks... moreso to be that immovable rock in the middle of the line. I'm just always looking for his number and never see it.

He's in there a lot.  I see him in there all the time.  He's #99.  I don't know how you can be missing him.
He's in there less than 25% of the snaps. You'll see him more against teams that are heavy run. We have been up by a lot early in the last 3 weeks and teams have abandoned the run, so that's why you haven't seen much of him.
They allowed 86 on the ground and Lamar Miller looked pedestrian at best.

The Dareus effect is... in effect.
(12-18-2017, 05:27 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: [ -> ]He's in there less than 25% of the snaps. You'll see him more against teams that are heavy run. We have been up by a lot early in the last 3 weeks and teams have abandoned the run, so that's why you haven't seen much of him.

They are using him more than you think.  He was in on 77% of the snaps vs the seahawks and 59% of the snaps vs the colts. 

Just because you don't see him make a tackle for loss or a sack doesn't mean he's not getting good work done and making an impact. It's the nature of his position and his role within the scheme.
(12-18-2017, 05:35 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-18-2017, 05:27 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: [ -> ]He's in there less than 25% of the snaps. You'll see him more against teams that are heavy run. We have been up by a lot early in the last 3 weeks and teams have abandoned the run, so that's why you haven't seen much of him.

They are using him more than you think.  He was in on 77% of the snaps vs the seahawks and 59% of the snaps vs the colts. 

Just because you don't see him make a tackle for loss or a sack doesn't mean he's not getting good work done and making an impact. It's the nature of his position and his role within the scheme.

I wasn't saying he wasn't doing his job. I've been more than happy with the impact he's had thus far. Out of curiosity, where do you get those numbers? Place I look has him at 55% against the hawks.
(12-18-2017, 05:45 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-18-2017, 05:35 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]They are using him more than you think.  He was in on 77% of the snaps vs the seahawks and 59% of the snaps vs the colts. 

I wasn't saying he wasn't doing his job. I've been more than happy with the impact he's had thus far. Out of curiosity, where do you get those numbers? Place I look has him at 55% against the hawks.

Right - the comments about him "doing his job/making impact" were more for the OP who was inquiring along those lines. 

I got the numbers by looking at snap counts here: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

...then I calculated total number of defensive snaps from the box score and did the math. Your site's 55% may include ST snaps in its total. Either way - he's playing more than you were aware of.  That's a good thing really, because there was some concern about his conditioning and being able to contribute on a meaningful number of snaps, and now we know he's in shape to do so.
(12-18-2017, 05:22 PM)brianmsbc Wrote: [ -> ]Don't want to start another 50 page thread... but he seems to have been quiet the last few weeks. 

Remember all those big runs opponents haven't gotten off lately?

That's him.
We still have some work to do in the run game but he's helped a lot since he got here. It's fun to watch him when he's on the field and he has 2 guys against him and they still can't move him out of the way. Big help in the middle.
Marrone likes him a lot, last week said that he expects even more from him and I think that come playoff time his role will be even more important.
He is important and effective. I think he will have a big game against the Titans.
Since signed to the Jags we have gone 6-1 and average giving up 14.1 ppg.