Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Likely scenario - what do you do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Patriots play the Bills and Titans Play Rams at 1PM.  If the Titans lose we win the AFC South.  If the Patriots win, I don't see another losable game for either the Pats or Steelers to give us hope for a #2 seed.  Would it be time to start protecting players starting with our 4PM kickoff game this Sunday?
The Patriots just lost to the Dolphins. Any given Sunday. Play everyone until there's no reason to.
Not only that, do you really want to go into the playoffs riding a two game losing streak, which is what would most likely happen with Henne at the controls.
There is a chance for better seed position until there isn't. Play every one until that time.
(12-20-2017, 10:13 AM)Jags32250 Wrote: [ -> ]Patriots play the Bills and Titans Play Rams at 1PM.  If the Titans lose we win the AFC South.  If the Patriots win, I don't see another losable game for either the Pats or Steelers to give us hope for a #2 seed.  Would it be time to start protecting players starting with our 4PM kickoff game this Sunday?

I wouldn't rest anyone this week.  This team needs to shake the west coast issues, and this is a golden opportunity to take care of that once and for all.  If we're locked into the 3 seed by the time we head to Tennessee, then I'm resting my key players to give them at least a little break before the playoff run.
When we're up by 20 in the 4th quarter, start resting starters. But start them.
Awesome. If we shut it down to protect players, that means the steelers can shut it down and then the pats can shut it down. Lets all pretend it's a 15 game season.
If Titans lose this Sunday, then you rest your horses.
(12-20-2017, 10:50 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]If Titans lose this Sunday, then you rest your horses.
And what about if NE or Pitt lose?
You'd feel pretty dumb if we rest players and lose to the 49ers and then either the Steelers or Patriots lost in week 17. As a coach, that's a good way to start losing your job.
I think this has been discussed.... but there isn't much else to talk about so sure...

My personal take is you play every game to win. And you put your best team on the field.
The only guys that should be resting are injured players. Guys that have lingering issues (Fournette, Lee) and guys that are still trying to heal up (Hurns) I'd be OK with these players getting rest starting this week.

I know the AFCS isn't locked up yet... but I think we can beat the 9ers and tacks without risking further injury to guys already knicked up.

But if Bortles is healthy, I wanna see him out there continuing his ascension.
If the OL guys are healthy, I saw keep them cohesive. 
But if guys have been playing thru some issues, those guys should rest....Especially when/if we have the division locked up and even moreso if seeding is finalized.

But even if all the seeding and playoff spots are set going into the final game, I think it is important to treat it like a normal game, go out and play healthy players and try to win the game.

(However... it would be nice to beat the tacks with Chad Henne, Corey Grant, Josh Wells, Chris Reed, and the rest of the B squad starting lol)
Yeah, it's just too soon to sit anyone unless they are really playing through an injury that's holding back their performance.
Steelers remaining schedule : Texans - I don't see Texans having a chance or having any reason to fight tooth and nail but the Colts played them close.
Browns - Browns have played hard all year, I have never seen them quit even though they are always getting beat. I expected them to give PITT all they can. Plus no team wants to go winless so I expect some extra motivation. Division games also have a little more extra motivation.

Patriots remaining schedule : Bills - Bills have to win pretty much if they want to make the playoffs. Expect this to be a game. The Bills have a shot to win this game.
: Jets - The Jets don't have anything to play for expect playing spoiler. And who better to play spoiler to than Tom Brady and the Pats. Jets hate the Pats so this is not just a gimmie.

With that said there is no way you rest guys this week even if the Titians lose and the Pats win. Heck Pitt plays on Monday so you don't know the outcome yet! I know its the Texans but still its a football game and any team can win any week. All it takes is one guy to get hurt or give up a bad turnover.

NO WAY YOU REST THIS WEEK.
You could've/should've just asked: "Do we concede the 2 seed if we have the division locked up?"

Never have I ever seen a team concede a better seed (or a bye in this case) in week 16.

The Browns have been in games late and have been playing scrappy and will not want to go 0-16. That's no gimme for the Steelers in week 17. The Jets beat us and have played surprisingly good football at times this year. Would not be shocked if either team wins over the Steelers or Pats in week 17 as this doesn't feel like a typical year to me where either team feels unbeatable.

The only way multiple starters are being rested is if our week 17 game gets moved to 4 pm or 8 pm with the Steelers and Pats finishing their games by 4pm and we know we don't have a shot at the 2 seed before we kickoff. The best chance our game gets moved to later in the day is if the Titans are playing for something.
In this scenario you keep playing. You make the patriots and steelers keep playing. Don’t just give them the spots. Make them work for it until the last second. You never know what may happen. Brady may get injured (not wishing that but it could happen), Ben might have a melt down against the browns.
Just win baby!
(12-20-2017, 10:41 AM)FBT Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-20-2017, 10:13 AM)Jags32250 Wrote: [ -> ]Patriots play the Bills and Titans Play Rams at 1PM.  If the Titans lose we win the AFC South.  If the Patriots win, I don't see another losable game for either the Pats or Steelers to give us hope for a #2 seed.  Would it be time to start protecting players starting with our 4PM kickoff game this Sunday?

I wouldn't rest anyone this week.  This team needs to shake the west coast issues, and this is a golden opportunity to take care of that once and for all.  If we're locked into the 3 seed by the time we head to Tennessee, then I'm resting my key players to give them at least a little break before the playoff run.

this.. too early to rest now, and this team needs to get over this west coast issue

if we lock up the 3 seed this week, then I'm probably resting some key guys like fournette, and any lineman who feels even the slightest bit banged up in week 17.

I really dont think there is any actual chance that NE or Pitt lose their remaining games
If there's no hope of getting the higher seed, I say play it like a preseason game 2 or 3. Play the starters in the first quarter or half and then let them rest the rest of the way. I don't like resting completely because I feel it gets them out of rhythm.
This is the same mentality people here have had that says in the last quarter of the season we lose games to get a better draft position. That's crap. You play to win- always. We haven't 'arrived' yet. The season isn't over and we fight until it is. Can you imagine the foolishness that would come from the masses if we rested guys and lost otherwise winnable games? This MB alone would be in a meltdown that would intimidate Chernobyl. 

And as someone else mentioned, can you imagine going into the playoffs with a two game losing streak? We can't give anyone any reason to rail on us for being less than what we are. We get enough of that as it is. We are as good as we are and people are still not taking us seriously, we can't give them any rope with which to hang us.
(12-20-2017, 10:24 AM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]The Patriots just lost to the Dolphins. Any given Sunday. Play everyone until there's no reason to.

Yup, hoping tyrod Taylor can light it up.  Jags get #2 seed.   Super Bowl Parade in Jax in Feb.
Pages: 1 2