Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Why you should root for the Jaguars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This article was actually written on July 4th and I remember reading it and thinking, "Yeah, that would be nice if we could do as well as this fellow thinks we will." Fast forward to today and, reading it again I'm like, "Heck yeah! I knew we could do it!" Lol. What is fun is reading the comments. 99.9% of them totally blow us off. You can't really blame them when you know how bad we have been for so long. 

It's nice to be proven wrong about my own team (though I did think they would do better than previous years with Tom C back) and to imagine all those folks in disbelief that the Jaguars are where they are. We are taking everyone by surprise and I love it.
Marrone made all the difference.
(12-21-2017, 07:36 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Marrone made all the difference.

Marrone for sure but also give credit to Calais Campbell (on the field) and Tom Coughlin (behind the desk). Smile
And Coughlin, don't forget Coughlin, chuckle. W/O Tom, are we 10-4? IDK...
A lot of pieces had to come together to make this season great. I'm just thankful for them all. And it's great fun to get a laugh out of the comments....after the fact. Hahahaha
It's hard to know if Caldwell would have drafted Fournette and Robinson without Coughlin's influence, and hard to know if he would have signed Bouye and Campbell without Coughlin's influence.
It's also hard to know how much of Marrone's success is due to Coughlin giving him good advice.
I'm sure Coughlin has been a positive influence on both of them, but I don't know how much credit to assign.
(12-21-2017, 11:13 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]It's hard to know if Caldwell would have drafted Fournette and Robinson without Coughlin's influence, and hard to know if he would have signed Bouye and Campbell without Coughlin's influence.

- This is probably going to come across as apologetic, but so be it... To me, Fournette was probably the most obvious draft pick I've witnessed for this team. With Marrone getting the reins, and a guy like Fournette there, he just made too much sense. And if you have a chance to get a Left Tackle in the Second, you take him worry about Wideouts later. This is not to say that Coughlin didn't want those two draft picks, but more to say that I can't imagine Caldwell taking anyone else.

- As for Bouye and Campbell, Coughlin probably played a big, big part in getting them to sign here, but I can't imagine any GM not wanting either of those players.

It's also hard to know how much of Marrone's success is due to Coughlin giving him good advice.
I'm sure Coughlin has been a positive influence on both of them, but I don't know how much credit to assign.
It's safe to assume that the team has benefited greatly from all of the additions this past off season, both on the roster and in the front office. No one person can claim credit for the turnaround.

Coughlin certainly deserves credit for his part in changing the philosophy on the football side, but even if he's offering advice to Marrone, it's still Doug who has proven to be masterful in pushing the right buttons at the right time to get the most out of this team.

I think adding veteran leadership like Campbell was a stroke of genius. His presence on the roster has not only helped the defense, but he's mentoring pretty much all of the young players on how to be a pro in the NFL, while helping to set an example for other veterans that has them raising the bar for their own expectations.

This team is easy to root for as a Jags fan from the beginning, and I think it's a team that should and will expand the bandwagon pretty dramatically as the rest of the country finally gets an introduction to Duuuuuuvaaaaaaaaaal.
Thanks for the link. I missed that one over the summer.

Nice trips down memory lane. Made me miss Greg Jones all over again. I forgot about that second ACL tear.
(12-21-2017, 12:28 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the link.  I missed that one over the summer.

Nice trips down memory lane.  Made me miss Greg Jones all over again.  I forgot about that second ACL tear.

Greg Jones was one of my favorite players back in the day. Possibly a top favorite in the franchise's history. I loved watching him do his thing. Dang ACL tears man....the bane of every athlete's existence.
Am I the only one who interprets this article as Malik Jackson mailing in his efforts with a fat contract until Marcel Dareus was signed?