Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Thoughts on Resting Starters
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
While it's been a great season," the elephant in the room" is that once again, the Jags are playing the most brutal travel schedule in the league. Having to play in London and New York in back to back weeks, then fly west two of the last five weeks is bound to take it's toll. We all know how traveling takes a toll on the human body and I'm just wondering if there has been any talk of having Bortles, Fournette, Posluszny, Fowler and Lambo not travel to San Francisco this weekend. We are going to beat the 49er's with our without these guys this weekend, and I think it would go a long way in letting bumps and bruises heal, not to mention allow a "mental bath" for our five best players. The San Antonio Spurs have "bought time" for key players on several occasions, and it has served them well come playoff time. This strategy would also give our back ups some "key game time reps" and would lessen the potency of our offense which would give punter Brad Nortman, who has been such a disappointment this season, some much needed reps. Outside of this borderline criminal travel schedule we have played, the other well known but rarely talked about issue we have is that Nortman might be the only thing standing between us and Minneapolis. Resting what I refer to as "The Fab 5" would give President Coughlin a chance to evaluate Nortman and decide whether to keep him on the playoff roster. 

The only downside to this strategy is the 49ers do appear to be improving, and it could cost us a potential bye if we somehow were to be upset. The flip side to this I think a wild card game would be welcome, as the last thing in the world we want to do is take a week off and ruin the chemistry and continuity we are showing on both sides of the ball.
Im afraid its time for you to take a "Mental bath".... smh
Meh. You normally do better.
I can't believe we are even having a conversation about resting starters. I mean that in a good way...

I'm still in shock.
Maybe after the Niner's game, but not quite yet. This game is far from a gimme. San Francisco is playing really well with Jimmy G. at QB. They have a lot of holes to fill yet, but if they add help on the O-Line, a WR to compliment Goodwin, a #1 RB and a dominant edge rusher, they could be a contender. Right now, Garoppolo is playing well enough to at least give them a shot against most teams.
The 49ers are a playoff caliber team with their new QB. Gorrapolo is going to take them to the playoffs in 2018 without question. Goodwin is a beast in the open field. Hyde is a pretty good RB. And now he's gonna have more lanes open up with the passing game.

Their defense has guys like Reid, who can change the game with 1 hit.

I got the 9ers beating us this Sunday, but overall it will show us where our Jags are headed. If we win then Super Bowl is a huge possibility. If we lose then we will have work to do.

If the Titans lose then I'm just resting players no matter what. I don't see us getting the 2 seed, so I'm playing the odds on the 3 seed.
The only guy I wouldn't play this game is Hurns. He said he is nowhere close to 100% and won't be for a couple weeks. So why play him? Just role with Westbrook,Cole,Mickelson and some PS guy.
I’d only rest starters in the 4th quarter of blowouts. Losing, even when it’s because of back ups, will effect the whole team. I wouldn’t risk it’s.
(12-22-2017, 02:37 PM)Omaha\s Number 1JAGSFAN Wrote: [ -> ]While it's been a great season," the elephant in the room" is that once again, the Jags are playing the most brutal travel schedule in the league. Having to play in London and New York in back to back weeks, then fly west two of the last five weeks is bound to take it's toll. We all know how traveling takes a toll on the human body and I'm just wondering if there has been any talk of having Bortles, Fournette, Posluszny, Fowler and Lambo not travel to San Francisco this weekend. We are going to beat the 49er's with our without these guys this weekend, and I think it would go a long way in letting bumps and bruises heal, not to mention allow a "mental bath" for our five best players. The San Antonio Spurs have "bought time" for key players on several occasions, and it has served them well come playoff time. This strategy would also give our back ups some "key game time reps" and would lessen the potency of our offense which would give punter Brad Nortman, who has been such a disappointment this season, some much needed reps. Outside of this borderline criminal travel schedule we have played, the other well known but rarely talked about issue we have is that Nortman might be the only thing standing between us and Minneapolis. Resting what I refer to as "The Fab 5" would give President Coughlin a chance to evaluate Nortman and decide whether to keep him on the playoff roster. 

The only downside to this strategy is the 49ers do appear to be improving, and it could cost us a potential bye if we somehow were to be upset. The flip side to this I think a wild card game would be welcome, as the last thing in the world we want to do is take a week off and ruin the chemistry and continuity we are showing on both sides of the ball.

that doesnt make any sense, what i would do if in charge would be play the starters the next 2 weeks and then rest them the first and maybe second playoff games and have them ready for the superbowl! yeah thats the ticket!
(12-22-2017, 03:20 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]The 49ers are a playoff caliber team with their new QB. Gorrapolo is going to take them to the playoffs in 2018 without question. Goodwin is a beast in the open field. Hyde is a pretty good RB. And now he's gonna have more lanes open up with the passing game.

Their defense has guys like Reid, who can change the game with 1 hit.

I got the 9ers beating us this Sunday, but overall it will show us where our Jags are headed. If we win then Super Bowl is a huge possibility. If we lose then we will have work to do.

If the Titans lose then I'm just resting players no matter what. I don't see us getting the 2 seed, so I'm playing the odds on the 3 seed.
I can't tell if you're joining in on the troll or not. If we beat a 4-10 team we are serious super bowl contenders? Your decision on that shouldn't be based on beating a below average team. Yes, the niners have been playing better with Jimmy. But no, they are not a playoff caliber team. They have squeaked by bottom of the barrel teams the last few weeks. It's a pretty asinine statement to say that they are "without question" a playoff team next year. I really like what lynch has done so far but I believe they are still a couple of years away. A team with superbowl aspitations and still something to play for should go in there and beat this team by multiple scores. Im very glad you do not make the football decisions for oir team. Nobody in their right mind is resting players with two games to go and a very real possibility at earning a bye week in the playoffs. Actually now that I'm rereading this I'm 99% sure this is a troll post. Congrats on getting me to bite.
With Gorrapolo the 49ers are a good team. I remember you said we should blow the Jets out too. That west coast has been brutal over the years. So a win, no matter the record, goes a long way for me. This is a good team were about to face. No troll job here.
(12-22-2017, 07:11 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]With Gorrapolo the 49ers are a good team. I remember you said we should blow the Jets out too. That west coast has been brutal over the years. So a win, no matter the record, goes a long way for me. This is a good team were about to face. No troll job here.

We should have beat the jets. We are the much better team. Bortles had a stinker and they had a couple of broken plays. My point was that you should not base your decision on whether we are a super bowl contender or not on if we beat the 49ers. It should be expected for us to win this game. That's why we are 5 point favorites on the road.
If the offense continues to play above average and balanced then this game shouldn't even be a contest. The defense will do its thing we would have to make more dumb penalties than usual and turn the ball over to lose this.
(12-22-2017, 02:37 PM)Omaha's Number 1JAGSFAN Wrote: [ -> ]While it's been a great season," the elephant in the room" is that once again, the Jags are playing the most brutal travel schedule in the league. Having to play in London and New York in back to back weeks, then fly west two of the last five weeks is bound to take it's toll. We all know how traveling takes a toll on the human body and I'm just wondering if there has been any talk of having Bortles, Fournette, Posluszny, Fowler and Lambo not travel to San Francisco this weekend. We are going to beat the 49er's with our without these guys this weekend, and I think it would go a long way in letting bumps and bruises heal, not to mention allow a "mental bath" for our five best players. The San Antonio Spurs have "bought time" for key players on several occasions, and it has served them well come playoff time. This strategy would also give our back ups some "key game time reps" and would lessen the potency of our offense which would give punter Brad Nortman, who has been such a disappointment this season, some much needed reps. Outside of this borderline criminal travel schedule we have played, the other well known but rarely talked about issue we have is that Nortman might be the only thing standing between us and Minneapolis. Resting what I refer to as "The Fab 5" would give President Coughlin a chance to evaluate Nortman and decide whether to keep him on the playoff roster. 

Way too many limaritas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(12-22-2017, 02:37 PM)Omaha\s Number 1JAGSFAN Wrote: [ -> ]While it's been a great season," the elephant in the room" is that once again, the Jags are playing the most brutal travel schedule in the league. Having to play in London and New York in back to back weeks, then fly west two of the last five weeks is bound to take it's toll. We all know how traveling takes a toll on the human body and I'm just wondering if there has been any talk of having Bortles, Fournette, Posluszny, Fowler and Lambo not travel to San Francisco this weekend. We are going to beat the 49er's with our without these guys this weekend, and I think it would go a long way in letting bumps and bruises heal, not to mention allow a "mental bath" for our five best players. The San Antonio Spurs have "bought time" for key players on several occasions, and it has served them well come playoff time. This strategy would also give our back ups some "key game time reps" and would lessen the potency of our offense which would give punter Brad Nortman, who has been such a disappointment this season, some much needed reps. Outside of this borderline criminal travel schedule we have played, the other well known but rarely talked about issue we have is that Nortman might be the only thing standing between us and Minneapolis. Resting what I refer to as "The Fab 5" would give President Coughlin a chance to evaluate Nortman and decide whether to keep him on the playoff roster. 

Has Nortman really been a disappointment? I thought he was doing fine. Did I miss something here?

As for resting players, you choose Poz, Fowler and Lambo? Why not throw the long snapper in there? Lambo?
(12-24-2017, 01:54 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]

Has Nortman really been a disappointment? I thought he was doing fine. Did I miss something here?

As for resting players, you choose Poz, Fowler and Lambo? Why not throw the long snapper in there? Lambo?

Nortman has been pretty terrible all year. The guy probably has the weakest leg in the league.
Yes rest Lambo and put me down for the mental bath
(12-24-2017, 02:07 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-24-2017, 01:54 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]Has Nortman really been a disappointment? I thought he was doing fine. Did I miss something here?

Nortman has been pretty terrible all year. The guy probably has the weakest leg in the league.

The official statistics say he's 21st in punting average.   Not great, but "probably the weakest leg in the league" is probably not true.
(12-24-2017, 07:29 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-24-2017, 02:07 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: [ -> ]Nortman has been pretty terrible all year. The guy probably has the weakest leg in the league.

The official statistics say he's 21st in punting average.   Not great, but "probably the weakest leg in the league" is probably not true.

Eh, you can't really tell with punting average. A lot of it is skewed depending on where you're punting from and if you're trying to angle it and such. All I know is that when we have to punt from deep in our own territory he never seems to get anything on it. When I see other punters hit one form deep in there own territory they bomb it. His always seem to drop at around midfield.