Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Playoff seeding question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Right now, nfl.com has the chargers ahead of the bills, both have the same record, and they did not play head to head.. the bills have the better conference record, why are the chargers ahead of them?

What happens if we beat Tenn next week, and the chargers and bills both win?  Won't the bills get in the playoffs over them??
If we beat Tenn, Balt beats Cinn,Buff beat Mia, and Lac beats Oak.......Balt gets the 5 and Lac gets the 6th
(12-24-2017, 09:31 PM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: [ -> ]Right now, nfl.com has the chargers ahead of the bills, both have the same record, and they did not play head to head.. the bills have the better conference record, why are the chargers ahead of them?

What happens if we beat Tenn next week, and the chargers and bills both win?  Won't the bills get in the playoffs over them??

The Chargers beat the Bills a few weeks back in the game where rookie QB Nathan Peterman got his first start for the Bills, and he threw five picks in the first half of the game.

In the scenario you describe, the Chargers get in over the Bills.
(12-24-2017, 09:35 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-24-2017, 09:31 PM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: [ -> ]Right now, nfl.com has the chargers ahead of the bills, both have the same record, and they did not play head to head.. the bills have the better conference record, why are the chargers ahead of them?

The Chargers beat the Bills a few weeks back in the game where rookie QB Nathan Peterman got his first start for the Bills, and he threw five picks in the first half of the game.

ahhhhh how did I miss that.. yes you are right.. that's the game the bills stupidly literally threw away... damnit

What if the ravens lose to the bengals, and the chargers and bills both win, then what happens?  assuming we beat Tenn
Buffalo would get the 5 and Balt would get the 6 in that latest scenario
(12-24-2017, 09:37 PM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-24-2017, 09:35 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]The Chargers beat the Bills a few weeks back in the game where rookie QB Nathan Peterman got his first start for the Bills, and he threw five picks in the first half of the game.

ahhhhh how did I miss that.. yes you are right.. that's the game the bills stupidly literally threw away... damnit

What if the ravens lose to the bengals, and the chargers and bills both win, then what happens?  assuming we beat Tenn

https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.ph...pid1061919
(12-24-2017, 09:39 PM)ColoJag Wrote: [ -> ]Buffalo would get the 5 and Balt would get the 6 in that latest scenario

can you explain why?  all 3 teams would have 9-7 records, the bills and ravens would both be 7-5 in conference while SD would be 6-6.. how is that 3 way tie decided?  Does SD lose out for being worse in conference, and if so, what gives the bills the 5th seed over the ravens? common opponents?
We gonna play Bal. and I'll be there
buffalo and baltimore are both 4-1 in common opponents, still not seeing why buffalo would get the 5?

does it go down to strength of victory and that is why buffalo gets it? this is confusing
(12-24-2017, 09:46 PM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: [ -> ]buffalo and baltimore are both 4-1 in common opponents, still not seeing why buffalo would get the 5?

does it go down to strength of victory and that is why buffalo gets it?  this is confusing

Without going through things I don't know for sure, but just at first glance, net points favor Baltimore.
Check out ESPNs NFL playoff machine. You can play around with all the scenarios you'd like.

The simplest outcome is ravens beat Bengals for 5 seed and the titans chargers bills fight for 6 seed in that order of tiebreaking. If you don't want to play titans or chargers in first round, it would help us if the Ravens lose. Tiebreakers don't work out as well for the chargers when the Ravens are in the mix.
(12-24-2017, 09:52 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-24-2017, 09:46 PM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: [ -> ]buffalo and baltimore are both 4-1 in common opponents, still not seeing why buffalo would get the 5?

does it go down to strength of victory and that is why buffalo gets it?  this is confusing

Without going through things I don't know for sure, but just at first glance, net points favor Baltimore.

so why would buffalo be the 5 over the ravens if all 3 of the chargers, ravens, and bills are 9-7 ?

Would really enjoy playing the ravens at the 6 seed, that is a team I feel we matchup extraordinarily against and would have little issue against... but I just dont see how they can be the 6 seed still

(12-24-2017, 09:53 PM)rfc17 Wrote: [ -> ]Check out ESPNs NFL playoff machine. You can play around with all the scenarios you'd like.

The simplest outcome is ravens beat Bengals for 5 seed and the titans chargers bills fight for 6 seed in that order of tiebreaking. If you don't want to play titans or chargers in first round, it would help us if the Ravens lose. Tiebreakers don't work out as well for the chargers when the Ravens are in the mix.

yep you are right

ok then, we need a baltimore loss, a jags win, and a bills win and we get to play baltimore
So,, if the Jags rest starters next week and the Titans win, that means they're playing the Titans again in the playoff round, correct?
Titans can only get the 6th seed with a win?
(12-24-2017, 10:17 PM)jagherd Wrote: [ -> ]So,, if the Jags rest starters next week and the Titans win, that means they're playing the Titans again in the playoff round, correct?  

no titans can get the 5th seed if baltimore loses
(12-24-2017, 10:25 PM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-24-2017, 10:17 PM)jagherd Wrote: [ -> ]So,, if the Jags rest starters next week and the Titans win, that means they're playing the Titans again in the playoff round, correct?  

no titans can get the 5th seed if baltimore loses

Oh, okay.
However, counting on the Bengals to win in Baltimore? Ugh. Don't see it happening, although you never know.

I'd just hate, HATE to face the Titans in the playoff game. Yes, they may be a better matchup than facing the Chargers. But, I can't imagine how it'd feel to get to the playoffs after all these years and then get defeated by the stinking tacks. Talk about AWFUL!

I know the Jags would be favored, and would most likely win. But, it is the tacks team that smoked the Jags in Jax earlier this year.
I have a funny feeling we are going to have to play the Titans in the first round and I don't like that...
(12-24-2017, 10:40 PM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]I have a funny feeling we are going to have to play the Titans in the first round and I don't like that...

^same
If it means not playing them in the first round I say play the starters next week.
(12-24-2017, 11:21 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: [ -> ]If it means not playing them in the first round I say play the starters next week.

Even if we beat the Titans and if the Ravens win along with the Bills/Chargers losing, we still would have to play the Titans so it might not be just as easy beat them with starters and it's over.
I'm just happy to be in the playoffs. And happy we won the South...finally
Pages: 1 2