Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Some 20/20 Hindsight for Perspective
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Earlier this year, the Jacksonville defense has been getting comparisons to some recent great defenses. Now whether you believe that comparison is warranted or not, is not the subject matter of this thread. I think this is a good defense but the jury is out on its rankings of greatness (our greatness must be great!). But after yesterday’s rather disappointing performance I decided to look back at some the of the actual greats....and whether they had their own games like ours yesterday: 

2000 Ravens 

We should all remember this. In week 2 the Ravens allowed 36 points, 22 first downs, and 421 yards including 375 passing. (We only allowed 242 yesterday. Just remember that). 

2015 Broncos 

Great defense for sure. But something happened in week 15: against the Steelers, the defense allowed 34 points and 377 yards including 354 passing yards. Man, they really must have killed their momentum going into the playoffs...

2013 Seahawks

In week 5, the Seahawks legion of boom gave up 34 points, 317 yards and over 100 yards rushing to the vaunted colts. 

2002 Tampa Bay Bucs 

In week 9 to the Vikings, the defense gave up 24 points and 173 rushing yards as part of a total of Almost 400 yards allowed. 

So if the best defenses of all time had bad days, I’d say it’s fair to expect that our defense which in my opinion is good but not great, would have at least one bad day like yesterday. I think yesterday was a combination of bad penalties, killer turnovers by Bortles, and West Coast fever. Hopefully they can regroup and get the ship righted.
Pretty much.
Ravens are looking like they are going to make the playoffs this. Year on the back of there defense which has been almost as good as.ours this year and we blew them out. Every D has issues at some point and the 49rs ran the same style.the jets did. Quick passes and pound the rock.
Jimmy Smith and Mark Brunell took a dump on the Ravens defense. Jimmy went for 291.
...and we lost

Edit: that interception off McCardells hand remains one of the craziest plays Ive seen. Brunell threw a worm burner at McCardell, who dove and was able to barely get a hand on it. When the ball hit his hand it couldn't have been more than a couple inches off the ground, but somehow the ball ricocheted off his fingertips and UP into the air, where it was picked off.

One of the crazier games we have seen this team play. I miss that division.
Yes, the real season starts a week from Saturday.
My sentiments exactly. Defenses are gonna have bad games occasionally even the great ones. I personally believe this defense is an all time great and will get even better over the next year or two simply because of how the rules have changed so much. Over the last 10 years. That seahawks defense was amazing and this defense is better.

This isn’t just a one-off year. The defense is r day to roll for the next 6-7 years