Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: One Of Those Garoppolo TD Passes Was NOT A TD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
anyone else remember? it was theTaylor TD pass, the player never had possession of the pass.

it was the one that Gipson was in coverage on.
Didn't have possession by the normal rules or by the Patriots rules?
Looks like he just never had possession at all. he was bobbling the ball and Gip was fighing with him at the same time.

start at 3:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppk5AvlTRK8
Frankly there were so many [BLEEP] calls in that game against the Jags that I lost track. Getting screwed by the refs is going to make it tough in the playoffs.
The Breida non fumble call was brutal
But am I crazy, though? looks like dude didn't have possession
He was already laying on the ground with the ball when it got raked out I thought.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQCGSoBSuY4JHTz0g6EOvl...TvOTFhc4tA]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFO4iF6hPqr5C3VS_l5Zf...CkBsiBsWRA]
(12-25-2017, 03:44 PM)rocdee Wrote: [ -> ]anyone else remember? it was theTaylor TD pass, the player never had possession of the pass.

NFL rules:

"he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground."

Right here he either had possession and it was after his initial contact with the ground, or there was no angle showing he did not have possession there.

[Image: contact.jpg]

In fact it isn't until right here that the ball is even affected by the defender in a way that is visible:

[Image: catch.jpg]

which is long after he already had possession and was on the ground.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl...g-a-catch/

You don't have to get up off the ground with possession. You just have to have possession "after your initial contact with the ground." It was a catch, or at best it was not possible to overturn it based on the available film.
The NFL needs to clarify the catch rules in the offseason
(12-25-2017, 09:42 PM)5_Golden_Rings Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-25-2017, 03:44 PM)rocdee Wrote: [ -> ]anyone else remember? it was theTaylor TD pass, the player never had possession of the pass.

NFL rules:

"he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground."

Right here he either had possession and it was after his initial contact with the ground, or there was no angle showing he did not have possession there.

In fact it isn't until right here that the ball is even affected by the defender in a way that is visible:

You don't have to get up off the ground with possession. You just have to have possession "after your initial contact with the ground." It was a catch, or at best it was not possible to overturn it based on the available film.

Tell that to Jesse James and Kelvin Benjamin
Don’t want it to come into question, stop the oppent from getting in the red zone. This play was low on list of issues.
(12-26-2017, 10:35 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-25-2017, 09:42 PM)5_Golden_Rings Wrote: [ -> ]NFL rules:

Tell that to Jesse James and Kelvin Benjamin

Why? Both clearly dropped the ball. Personally I think the fix is that ANY contact with the ground if you go to the ground while catching the ball is a drop. James hit the ground and had one hand knocked off the ball, no way it's even questionable that he dropped it.

I agree...I recall the ball shuffling around his elbow/bicep while out of bounds.  With the awful officiating that day I had already given up.
(12-26-2017, 10:51 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-26-2017, 10:35 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]Tell that to Jesse James and Kelvin Benjamin

Why? Both clearly dropped the ball. Personally I think the fix is that ANY contact with the ground if you go to the ground while catching the ball is a drop. James hit the ground and had one hand knocked off the ball, no way it's even questionable that he dropped it.

Still don't understand the James complaint, once the replay was shown it was a clear drop.
(12-26-2017, 11:17 AM)atburg Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-26-2017, 10:51 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Why? Both clearly dropped the ball. Personally I think the fix is that ANY contact with the ground if you go to the ground while catching the ball is a drop. James hit the ground and had one hand knocked off the ball, no way it's even questionable that he dropped it.

Still don't understand the James complaint, once the replay was shown it was a clear drop.

The James complaint is the difference between rulings of crossing the plane on a rush and a catch. 

Not sure where anyone can say KB dropped that TD at all, possession was never in question, it was the foot.
Catch rule is pretty clear in my eyes. Clear as day James didn't complete the catch. Benjamin was a matter of replay standard, in my view, as this also was not a catch. but too close to be overturned, with not sufficient evidence.
(12-26-2017, 01:21 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-26-2017, 11:17 AM)atburg Wrote: [ -> ]Still don't understand the James complaint, once the replay was shown it was a clear drop.

The James complaint is the difference between rulings of crossing the plane on a rush and a catch. 

Not sure where anyone can say KB dropped that TD at all, possession was never in question, it was the foot.

You can't cross the plane with the ball if you haven't caught the ball.