Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: If it's a Titans twice in a row scenario
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
should Jacksonville play to win or rest? I remember several years ago when a similar situation occurred, when the Jets played the Bengals twice in a row. The Bengals didn't really play to win because they already were guaranteed the home game in the wild card. They lost the regular season game 37-0, and then in the wild card game they were more competitive, but still ended up getting overwhelmed before it was over to the tune of 24-14. They seemed to not have very much confidence after the bashing they took the week before, even though they really weren't going all out.

The Patriots don't rest their starters. But then again, playing the same team twice in a row, you don't want to show everything. So what should the Jaguars do? There is a real possibility of playing the Tacks twice in a row. What would you do?
I think we should just do our best to knock them out. Division rival will give us more trouble than the other three options.
I'd only sit the guys that are clearly banged up to the point they can't help much
more than their back-up. And then play to eliminate the stinkin tacks in week 17.
Knock them out.
From what I understand, if we knock the tacks out, we'll end up playing the Chargers in round 1.... What's the lesser of two evils?
(12-25-2017, 11:46 PM)temporaryname Wrote: [ -> ]From what I understand, if we knock the tacks out, we'll end up playing the Chargers in round 1.... What's the lesser of two evils?

Personally, I dread even the possibility of losing to the tacks three times ... again.

But just weighing the "evils," would you rather play a team you beat (while they were in the midst of a strong resurgence), or a team you lost to twice? 

It's no contest. Bring on the Chargers.
(12-25-2017, 10:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I'd only sit the guys that are clearly banged up to the point they can't help much
more than their back-up. And then play to eliminate the stinkin tacks in week 17.

This might be the best option, but yeah it's a tough decision. I'm glad I don't have to make it.
I would rather rest for a week. We can't improve or lose our playoff seed. We can't afford another injury at WR. Fournette looks like a gimp. Offensive line is banged up. Defense is just going to get gashed and probably injured anyways. I say we rest and regroup. This team doesn't have it's composure or fundamentals locked in for a playoff push.
I'd hate to lose to tacks 3 times possibly.iffy calls vs chargers kept them in the game imo. Not sure who I'd rather vs.
Mularkey is probably working on a clever one liner about jax being his second home or something...
I think we have to play to win and we must beat them. You can't let them sweep you during the regular season and then worry about them coming here a week later to possibly beat you for a third time like it was 1999 all over again.
Knock em out.

Go into the playoffs having won a tough game on the road, eliminating your division rival in the process.

Yes, if some guys are banged up, then rest them (LF, O-Linemen, etc,). Otherwise, play it to win it.
You crush their fan base. Mark my words, we get all soft and they win and we will regret it. They will come here to Jacksonville and put us out. We don't need that crap again as a fan base.
(12-26-2017, 08:32 AM)jagherd Wrote: [ -> ]Knock em out.

Go into the playoffs having won a tough game on the road, eliminating your division rival in the process.

Yes, if some guys are banged up, then rest them (LF, O-Linemen, etc,). Otherwise, play it to win it.

I'm torn, but leaning towards this perspective.

Yes, the season would end in disappointing fashion if it ended with less than a Super Bowl win, but it would be far more palatable with the knowledge we ended the tacks' season knocking them out of the playoffs two straight years.
One thought- 1999.

I don’t want to give them any chance of repeating what happened in 1999. That was the most painful football experience of my life. It still hurts today.

Knock them out. Now.
IMO there is as much of a chance of hell freezing over than Coughlin and Marrone not doing everything in the teams power to crush the stinking tacks. You know the whole win lunch thing.
The players better damn sure feel the same way.
The theme song to the oft-asked question of how the Jags should approach the tacks game in week 17:

(12-25-2017, 10:03 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I'd only sit the guys that are clearly banged up to the point they can't help much
more than their back-up.  And then play to eliminate the stinkin tacks in week 17.

^ This
Titans have been underwhelming this season. But you guys are forgetting one thing. . They are built to beat the jags. Feels like '99
tacks and Chargers are the two most likely candidates for the 6 seed and are the two teams I really would rather not see in the first round of the playoffs. Aside from our game, I'll be really interested in the Bengals/Ravens game because a Ravens loss should be VERY beneficial to us depending on what happens in the Bills game. Hopefully the Bengals come ready to play inspired football for Marvin Lewis on his way out the door. That 4 o'clock slate of games all determining the 5 and 6 seeds in the AFC should be pretty wild as those games start to wind down.
Pages: 1 2 3