Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Bouye Speaks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This per PFT...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...-to-49ers/

Not sure how much I buy this, but he's in the locker room, so I defer to him.
Hopefully everyone in the locker room feels the same way. I noticed Marrone hinted they are not resting starters this week.
I wonder who "a lot of people" are according to AJ
I'm so sick and tired of this stupid notion of people saying "losing this game was good for us". They said the same thing after the Cardinals loss. So why wasn't the Cardinals loss used as motivation for this game? When does it stop?

Now if we lose in the first round of the playoffs, are players also going to say, "it was good for us"?

Stop it.
The thing is, this team is young and has high expectations but they are also very arrogant. They haven’t found the line between extreme confidence and out right arrogance and a loss like this will refocus them. I’m speaking about this team in particular not every other team. You can see how bored they get during some games. They are great but they haven’t reached the point were some teams are gonna lay down when they come to town.

This loss will shock everyone back into order and it was the perfect time to lose. They would basically need to go on like a 10 game win streak to get to the Super Bowl and win it lol. Naw thats way to much pressure for them. Get this loss out the way, get hot and make a nice 4-5 game win streak. I’ll take that
(12-27-2017, 10:42 AM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]I'm so sick and tired of this stupid notion of people saying "losing this game was good for us". They said the same thing after the Cardinals loss. So why wasn't the Cardinals loss used as motivation for this game? When does it stop?

Now if we lose in the first round of the playoffs, are players also going to say, "it was good for us"?

Stop it.
Jags went on a 3 game winning streak after the Cards game. Sometimes people get too cocky and need to be knocked down a peg.

And don’t be so naive. Of course if they lose in the playoffs they won’t say it’s good. That’s stupid.

This is a young football team that made some young mistakes that cost them the game. You don’t think they can learn from that?
(12-27-2017, 10:42 AM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]I'm so sick and tired of this stupid notion of people saying "losing this game was good for us". They said the same thing after the Cardinals loss. So why wasn't the Cardinals loss used as motivation for this game? When does it stop?

Stop it.

Then add to this the "It was a west coast game", like that means ANYTHING.

Oh no, the players had to spend an extra 45 minutes sitting in first class on a plane!
(12-27-2017, 11:13 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]

Stop it.
Jags went on a 3 game winning streak after the Cards game. Sometimes people get too cocky and need to be knocked down a peg.

And don’t be so naive. Of course if they lose in the playoffs they won’t say it’s good. That’s stupid.

This is a young football team that made some young mistakes that cost them the game. You don’t think they can learn from that?

Don't call me naive. It's my personal opinion, I can state my personal opinion.

I'm just saying, at what point will these "it's good for us" streaks last until you are knocked back down to earth? It's just a cycle that keeps happening. I'm just saying, I doubt the Patriots say these kind of things. Personally, I just have never liked that expression whether it's our team or anyone else saying it. But don't call me naive.
I said this same thing after the loss
(12-27-2017, 11:23 AM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-27-2017, 11:13 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Jags went on a 3 game winning streak after the Cards game. Sometimes people get too cocky and need to be knocked down a peg.

Don't call me naive. It's my personal opinion, I can state my personal opinion.

I'm just saying, at what point will these "it's good for us" streaks last until you are knocked back down to earth? It's just a cycle that keeps happening. I'm just saying, I doubt the Patriots say these kind of things. Personally, I just have never liked that expression whether it's our team or anyone else saying it. But don't call me naive.

The Pats and Jags are on two completely different planes though. 

NE has done it time and time again, they're full of veteran players who know what to do, how to do it, how to prepare, etc. 

This Jags team is so young and so desperate for the respect teams like NE get, and when they get a taste, they get a little cocky. Which is normal for a young team getting their first taste of success and still maturing. They'll get there. 

A humbling loss is completely different for Jax than it is for NE.
The loss was good if it exposed something that can be fixed in time for the playoffs.  

If it exposed some sort of truth that cannot be fixed, like if it exposed the fact that we are not as good as we thought, then I really don't see the harm in that either.    

That's about it.  It wound up being meaningless in terms of playoff seeding or division title or anything else, really.

Incidentally, I remember late one season when the Jags ran up 375 rushing yards on the Colts and yet somehow the Colts got things fixed and went on to win the Super Bowl.  I don't expect the Jags to win the Super Bowl, but it's not like things can't be fixed from one game to the next.
(12-27-2017, 11:37 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-27-2017, 11:23 AM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]Don't call me naive. It's my personal opinion, I can state my personal opinion.

NE has done it time and time again, they're full of veteran players who know what to do, how to do it, how to prepare, etc. 

This Jags team is so young and so desperate for the respect teams like NE get, and when they get a taste, they get a little cocky. Which is normal for a young team getting their first taste of success and still maturing. They'll get there. 

Yeah good way to put it and I know what you mean. I just think we should be striving to be like the Patriots and everyone should be. I personally just don't like it when I hear players say this type of thing because then you fear on knowing where the line is. Like could the Browns be saying that after every loss?
(12-27-2017, 11:43 AM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-27-2017, 11:37 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]The Pats and Jags are on two completely different planes though. 

Yeah good way to put it and I know what you mean. I just think we should be striving to be like the Patriots and everyone should be. I personally just don't like it when I hear players say this type of thing because then you fear on knowing where the line is. Like could the Browns be saying that after every loss?
Not every team is going to feel the same about a loss. You’re trying to make it black or white but it’s not.

A loss for the Pats means nothing. They have a HOF QB and coach. The Browns? They lose all the time so of course they don’t say it. But a team like the Rams or Jags? 2 young teams with post season aspirations? Yea, they probably can learn a lot from a loss. They weren’t trying to go out there and lose but they’re going to learn from this.

It’s ok for you not to like it and some people don’t but I’m going with the Vet in Bouye saying it’s good. He knows the locker room better than we do.
(12-27-2017, 01:34 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-27-2017, 11:43 AM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah good way to put it and I know what you mean. I just think we should be striving to be like the Patriots and everyone should be. I personally just don't like it when I hear players say this type of thing because then you fear on knowing where the line is. Like could the Browns be saying that after every loss?
Not every team is going to feel the same about a loss. You’re trying to make it black or white but it’s not.

A loss for the Pats means nothing. They have a HOF QB and coach. The Browns? They lose all the time so of course they don’t say it. But a team like the Rams or Jags? 2 young teams with post season aspirations? Yea, they probably can learn a lot from a loss. They weren’t trying to go out there and lose but they’re going to learn from this.

It’s ok for you not to like it and some people don’t but I’m going with the Vet in Bouye saying it’s good. He knows the locker room better than we do.

I see what you are saying and you make good points. But again, don't call me naive or tell me that I'm trying to make it black or white because you are putting words in my mouth. I never said it's black and white.
Winning breeds complacency , especially in young teams. While I'm sure Marrone and co have done a good job keeping players week to week eventually there is going to be a lapse. That happened against the 49ers and isn't just limited to the players either.

Anecdotally speaking , in most of my seasons playing rugby we've won a lot of games but every year there seems to be a signature loss where everything gets aired out in the aftermath , people get called out , everyone works harder, gameplans and tactics get examined by the staff.

So yeah I can see how this loss would be "good" for a team heading into the playoffs. Granted the players and staff are only ever going to talk about the positive effects stemming from a bad loss like that.
(12-27-2017, 11:40 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]The loss was good if it exposed something that can be fixed in time for the playoffs.  

If it exposed some sort of truth that cannot be fixed, like if it exposed the fact that we are not as good as we thought, then I really don't see the harm in that either.    

That's about it.  It wound up being meaningless in terms of playoff seeding or division title or anything else, really.

Incidentally, I remember late one season when the Jags ran up 375 rushing yards on the Colts and yet somehow the Colts got things fixed and went on to win the Super Bowl.  I don't expect the Jags to win the Super Bowl, but it's not like things can't be fixed from one game to the next.
The clots got back Bob Sanders. That kinda helped.

Stop it.

The Jaguars dominated the Colts in week 14 of the 2006-2007 season.  That was the infamous 375 rushing yard game. They then went on to lose in week 16 to a 6-10 Houston Texans team. The Colts went 3-4 in their last 7 games that season.  Guess what?  They went on to win the Super Bowl.

The Jaguars went on a 3 game winning streak after the Cardinals loss.  While that wouldn't get them a Super Bowl, 3 straight wins now would get them knocking on the Super Bowl door.  They lost to the Rams and went on a 4 game winning streak. They lost to the Jets and then the next week went into Pittsburgh and beat the #2 team in the AFC 30-9. This team has shown to come back from a loss strong multiple times this season.
(12-27-2017, 01:38 PM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-27-2017, 01:34 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Not every team is going to feel the same about a loss. You’re trying to make it black or white but it’s not.

I see what you are saying and you make good points. But again, don't call me naive or tell me that I'm trying to make it black or white because you are putting words in my mouth. I never said it's black and white.
I called you naive because you insinuated that if this team lost in the playoffs they would say it was good. Which, of course, no one would say that.
(12-27-2017, 02:12 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-27-2017, 01:38 PM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]I see what you are saying and you make good points. But again, don't call me naive or tell me that I'm trying to make it black or white because you are putting words in my mouth. I never said it's black and white.
I called you naive because you insulated that if this team lost in the playoffs they would say it was good. Which, of course, no one would say that.

It was a joke...relax. You should learn to be a little nicer, might make you feel better. I wouldn't go around calling people naive, it comes across as disrespectful.
(12-27-2017, 11:37 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-27-2017, 11:23 AM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]Don't call me naive. It's my personal opinion, I can state my personal opinion.

But why is cocky particularly a bad thing?

So long as they can learn to manage it and not let it get them into trouble.  I would say this team getting to 10 wins and exceeding just about everyones expectations shows they've done well enough with that.

I love the attitude that certain guys bring to this team and defense.  It's counter balanced well with veterans like Campbell and it's something this team lacked dearly for years now.

I think being cocky sometimes gets mixed in and confused with being confident.  I don't sense a "cocky" vibe from most of these guys.  Being confident is a different attitude though and I do see more of that.

I understand what you are saying but I disagree.  This humbling loss could well prove to be a problem but they have shown more than once this season that they can bounce back from these and come back stronger.
Pages: 1 2