Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Removing the tarps for more seats!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I took a look this morning and the lower bowl is almost completely sold out already for Wild Card Game...   The are some seats in the usual areas in the upper decks but not that many.  I am wondering if the Jags will be able to pull down the tarps from the upper west side sections for this game??    In the past, the tarps were taken down for high profile games during the season but it never got there this season except all tickets were pretty much gone for Colts and they sold standing room.       I think if the upper deck tickets are sold today when the window opens for everyone, they will announce those areas open as well.
According to Brent M they can't remove them.

Shame as it seems you could fit 70,000 easy. Tickets are flying.
(12-27-2017, 01:02 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]According to Brent M they can't remove them.

oh yeh... NFL is going to tell the Jags... "You can not sell more tickets..."    I think Brent is remembering the rules years ago when Jags were reducing capacity to sell out for blackout purposes..  I forget what year it was but they removed the tarps for some games late one season..  I think it was 2012 the last time the Pats played in Jax...   They Jags kept the capacity down on purpose in the upper decks since they weren't selling those seats anyway..  On the East Side, what were tarped in the past has been used for the kids section and USO the last few years..  I noted they sold tickets for playoff game where the kids have been.    They have also held back tickets for the visiting team TBD..
(12-27-2017, 01:54 PM)Doug-H Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-27-2017, 01:02 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]According to Brent M they can't remove them.

oh yeh... NFL is going to tell the Jags... "You can not sell more tickets..."    I think Brent is remembering the rules years ago when Jags were reducing capacity to sell out for blackout purposes..  I forget what year it was but they removed the tarps for some games late one season..  I think it was 2012 the last time the Pats played in Jax...   They Jags kept the capacity down on purpose in the upper decks since they weren't selling those seats anyway..  On the East Side, what were tarped in the past has been used for the kids section and USO the last few years..  I noted they sold tickets for playoff game where the kids have been.    They have also held back tickets for the visiting team TBD..

Still the same rules. At the start of the year you have to declare if you want the tarps on or off. Can't change them in playoffs. From the time of the blackouts so they shouldn't apply now but it's the rules.
(12-27-2017, 01:58 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-27-2017, 01:54 PM)Doug-H Wrote: [ -> ]oh yeh... NFL is going to tell the Jags... "You can not sell more tickets..."    I think Brent is remembering the rules years ago when Jags were reducing capacity to sell out for blackout purposes..  I forget what year it was but they removed the tarps for some games late one season..  I think it was 2012 the last time the Pats played in Jax...   They Jags kept the capacity down on purpose in the upper decks since they weren't selling those seats anyway..  On the East Side, what were tarped in the past has been used for the kids section and USO the last few years..  I noted they sold tickets for playoff game where the kids have been.    They have also held back tickets for the visiting team TBD..

Still the same rules. At the start of the year you have to declare if you want the tarps on or off. Can't change them in playoffs. From the time of the blackouts so they shouldn't apply now but it's the rules.

so how did they remove them in 2012??  The had 67K for Jets and 70K for Pats in December...  62K for Texans with Tarps and before redesign of stadium that reduced official capacity ( got rid of EZ tarps they had)..   

I really don't care  since I have mine but I bet there is pressure to do it since they would be lower priced seats..
Since the blackout rules have been lifted, there isn't much point in reducing the size of the stadium to fit the market. They should remove them for next year.
(12-27-2017, 02:24 PM)Doug-H Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-27-2017, 01:58 PM)JackCity Wrote: [ -> ]Still the same rules. At the start of the year you have to declare if you want the tarps on or off. Can't change them in playoffs. From the time of the blackouts so they shouldn't apply now but it's the rules.

so how did they remove them in 2012??  The had 67K for Jets and 70K for Pats in December...  62K for Texans with Tarps and before redesign of stadium that reduced official capacity ( got rid of EZ tarps they had)..   

I really don't care  since I have mine but I bet there is pressure to do it since they would be lower priced seats..
No idea , I don't know the exact rule too well. 

Also this is from last year 

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/809064767092588544
Yeah I'm not saying JackCity and Brent Martineau are wrong, but my memory is the same as Doug-H. I thought they changed the rules a few years ago to allow teams to remove tarps for specific high demand games. Is my memory incorrect, or were the rules only that way for a season or two?
Looks like if they do not remove them there will be next to zero seats available for the general public at normal prices. Upper decks seats in 409 that were $72 apiece I see listed at $287.50 each.

Edit: purchased a couple more singles in 409 just because.
(12-27-2017, 02:25 PM)scottyg Wrote: [ -> ]Since the blackout rules have been lifted, there isn't much point in reducing the size of the stadium to fit the market.  They should remove them for next year.

The tarps aren't about blackouts, they are about controlling the supply to make sure it matches demand.

If you flood the market with seats that no one wants to buy, you decrease the value of the rest of the seats making them harder to sell at their current price. Supply and demand.
(12-27-2017, 01:54 PM)YDoug-H Wrote: [ -> ]

The rules still apply.
(12-27-2017, 02:59 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah I'm not saying JackCity and Brent Martineau are wrong, but my memory is the same as Doug-H.  I thought they changed the rules a few years ago to allow teams to remove tarps for specific high demand games.  Is my memory incorrect, or were the rules only that way for a season or two?

They have to notify the league months in advance to remove the tarps for high demand games.  They’ve done it here in the past, but not for this game.
I thought I read somewhere that those advertising contracts (for the tarps) are paid through the year, thus they'll stay.

Since I sit on the west side I never see the tarps. I can't recall the ads on them. I guess they are not generic - Jaguars, etc., - so some company wants to get value for them.
The interview on the radio stated that for now they will be there but they may ask to remove them. In the meantime, they can sell standing room tickets.. Up to 1600.. I wonder what they'll do with all the people who buy cheaper tickets but like going to the standing areas anyway??

The other questions is how the brokers were able to sweep up all the upper deck tickets unless they controlled them already??? Did the Jags limit the number of ticket STH's could add to their account during the pre-sale?? Looking on resale sites, rows of seats are there now at double the STH price... I know these guys work directly with sales people and they let them do it..

It is
[Image: 46366330.jpg]
(12-27-2017, 09:55 PM)Doug-H Wrote: [ -> ]The interview on the radio stated that for now they will be there but they may ask to remove them.    In the meantime, they can sell standing room tickets..    Up  to 1600..  I wonder what they'll do with all the people who buy cheaper tickets but like going to the standing areas anyway??    

The other questions is how the brokers were able to sweep up all the upper deck tickets unless they controlled them already???  Did the Jags limit the number of ticket STH's could add to their account during the pre-sale??    Looking on resale sites, rows of seats are there now at double the STH price...    I know these guys work directly with sales people and they let them do it..      

It is

Season ticket holders were limited to purchasing 9 extra tickets.  I don't believe the online brokers could have snapped them up directly under those caps.  Also, my wife is a Baptist Health employee and they were given access to buy tickets after season ticket holders but before the general public because Baptist Health is a Jaguars sponsor.  Season ticket holders and employees of sponsors were the ones buying up tickets in my estimation.  When 3 o'clock rolled around and they went on sale to the general public, there were no side by side seats left in the general bowl unless they were resale tickets at jacked up prices.
They are taking off the tarps!!!!
The Jags just tweeted that the tarps are coming off for the playoff game!

https://twitter.com/Jaguars/status/946466277996007424
The stadium only holds ~67k now due to renovations.
Maybe with standing room they can get 70k
Pages: 1 2 3