Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: End of Regular Season Rookie Watch Review
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
First and foremost, happy and healthy new year to all of you and your families too.

Looking back, this 2017 regular season exceeded almost all of our pre season expectations.  We have had nine straight .500 or below seasons, including several with less than five years.  Just last year (2016), we finished with a 3-13 record.  Not this year.  This year, we won the division with a 10-6 record. While looking back at the last two weeks causes some trepidation among many of us, the bottom line is we've had a level of success we haven't seen in a decade.  But what degree of contribution did we get from our rookie class?  Let's take a look.

1st round pick, 4th overall, Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU-finished the season 8th in the NFL in rushing with 1040 yards and 9 TDs, our first 1000 yard rusher since MJD in 2011.   Had an impressive start, running for 100 yards in his first game against Houston, and had long runs of 90 and 75 yards, showing breakaway ability.  However, wasn't the same since his ankle injury against the Rams, which caused him to miss two games midseason, and limited him in other games.  Furthermore, he got suspended for another game for missing a team picture.  When on his game and healthy, he is rugged and is capable of getting tough yards inside.  But he has not been the most durable, and some assert the offensive approach is better when he is not in the game.  For me, he was worth the pick, because his presence helped make Bortles a better QB by helping him not be in so many long yardage situations. He needs to improve his pass blocking.  I think if he is healthy, he can have success on the ground against a Buffalo team ranked 29th against the run.

2nd round pick, 34th overall, Cam Robinson, T, Alabama-I had long been a fan of his, and wound up thrilled he was there for us at this point in the draft.  While in the back of my mind, I had fears he would end up like the recent class of Alabama tackles, he surpassed those fears, playing solidly for most of his 15 games.  As I recall, he gave up a sack to Orakpo in week 2, and had problems with the Bolts DEs, but generally speaking protected Bortles blind side well..  His body and Bama lineage suggests a dominant run blocker.  I wouldn't put him in the dominant category.  From what I've seen, he wouldn't collapse an entire side of a defense like Boselli.  But he seals a defender off out of a hold better than most.  I believe we hit on this pick and he will be our left tackle, and will be this franchise's best LT since Boselli.

3rd round pick, 68th overall, Dawaune Smoot, DE, Illinois-Not many, including myself, were thrilled with this pick immediately after it was made.  But he gave some quality reps throughout the season.  I've seen him chase down plays from behind, showing good pursuit and hustle.  Didn't provide too much in the pass rush, as most expected.  At this point, I'm still not sure if this pick would not have been better spent on an OL or TE, but I view this pick favorably after a season under his belt.

4th round pick, 110th overall, Dede Westbrook, WR, Oklahoma-Many of us had misgivings about this pick.  WR was not seen as a major need going into last April's draft.  Furthermore, he was a guy with considerable talent, but also considerable off field baggage.  He supposedly had domestic battery incidents, and there were pre draft reports that his interviews were disastrous.  Upon drafting him, Coughlin stressed that he would be on a very tight leash.  He started out doing well in preseason, then went on IR with a hernia surgery (?).  He was removed from IR midseason, and provided a spark to the passing game when he finally got the chance to play in a regular season game, this Tennessee game notwithstanding.  He finished the season with 27 catches for 339 yards and a TD, and no negative off field reports.  He appears he will be an asset for us.

5th round pick, 148th overall, Blair Brown, LB, Ohio- I knew nothing about him.  Copycat (iirc) was enthusiastic about the pick, being a fan/alumnus of Ohio U.  He spoke to his athletic ability, and from what I saw, he does have decent athletic ability, and seemed to play well when Telvin Smith was out.  I don't know if he will remain outside or slide inside eventually, but I think he may hang around a little more.

7th round pick, 222nd overall, Jalen Myrick, CB, Minnesota-He came in as one of the fasted DBs in the draft, and while he was embarrassed in camp by Westbrook, his speed made him worth the time to develop, and he put in some quality time in the secondary.  Furthermore, he blocked the extra point, in San Francisco that put us back in the game.  I don't want to see Colvin leave just yet, but he may.  If he does, I like the coverage Myrick provides.

7th round pick, 240th overall, Marquez Williams, FB, Miami, FL-Was beaten out by Tommy Bohanon  and was cut.  now with the Browns

UDFA Keelan Cole, WR, Kentucky Weslyan-was a star in training camp, and I kept hearing all of this buzz around him, but I withheld judgment until I saw him in action in a game, because of so many training camp phenoms who sizzled early then fizzled when the preseason lights came on.  But he never fizzled.  He showed amazing deep speed and deep threat capability but battled with some inconsistent hands. However, under Marrone's, Coughlin's, and McCardell's tutelage, he became a more reliable route runner and a more consistent catcher, and provided key impact for the team as our starters at WR went down.  He finished the year with 42 catches for 748 yards (17.8 YPC) and 3 TDs only starting 6 games.  Once the light came on for him-I want to say starting with the second Colts game-he started having huge impact on the offense, culminating in a 7-186 performance against Seattle.  I think his and Wesbrook's development makes Marqise Lee expendable this offseason, though I certainly want Lee healthy and ready to go starting Sunday.

Final analysis-As far as impact, I think this draft class was underrated by the experts and message board hacks like myself in the immediate aftermath of the draft.  We wound up getting a rugged RB in Fournette who can not only break long runs but can get the short yardage conversions that killed us so many seasons before.  We wound up getting a quality LT that should fortify that spot for years.  Smoot was a decent rotational guy, while Westbrook and Cole will be dangerous for us.  Blair Brown should get better with experience, and Myrick's speed will be an asset for us.

Your thoughts are welcome, as always.
Great thoughts as usual...

If in a daft you find a potential franchise LT, a starting RB, a starting #2-ish WR and some depth (LB, DE, CB) then I'd call it a success.
(01-01-2018, 12:10 PM)Jest101 Wrote: [ -> ]Great thoughts as usual...

If in a daft you find a potential franchise LT, a starting RB, a starting #2-ish WR and some depth (LB, DE, CB) then I'd call it a success.

Thanks.

Finding a potential LT, especially outside of the first round, is an accomplishment.

The WR depth we will have going forward, especially when Robinson returns will be considerable and of good quality.

I think if we can add a couple of OL and a TE, Fournette becomes more effective.

I agree, based upon the 2017 season, the 2017 draft class was a good haul.
I wonder if Westbrook gets a look at punt returner this week in practice after Mickens' gaffs in nashville.

Might be worth a try.

I think Westbrook will be an asset once he gets past this funk he's in at the moment. I'm also very, very pleased with the Cam Robinson pick. Hope he heals up this week and plays Sunday.

The RB did almost exactly what I thought he would, and he'll be great if he can get past the injury issue in the off season. I'm still very skeptical of taking a RB so high, but... he'll be good.

Caldwell and his scouts continues to impress with the UDFA signings.
(01-01-2018, 12:14 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if Westbrook gets a look at punt returner this week in practice after Mickens' gaffs in nashville.

Might be worth a try.

I think Westbrook will be an asset once he gets past this funk he's in at the moment. I'm also very, very pleased with the Cam Robinson pick.  Hope he heals up this week and plays Sunday.

The RB did almost exactly what I thought he would, and he'll be great if he can get past the injury issue in the off season. I'm still very skeptical of taking a RB so high, but... he'll be good.

Was that something he did in college? Considering his performance on Sunday I wouldn't expect him to be an upgrade at it.

All the rookies seemed to get tight in a meaningless game, which is weird.
(01-01-2018, 12:14 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if Westbrook gets a look at punt returner this week in practice after Mickens' gaffs in nashville.

Might be worth a try.

I think Westbrook will be an asset once he gets past this funk he's in at the moment. I'm also very, very pleased with the Cam Robinson pick.  Hope he heals up this week and plays Sunday.

Westbrook may well get a look at PR, but I think Mickens will still be the guy if Lee is not ready to go.

As for Cam Robinson, I want to see him back, but given Buffalo's lack of a pass rush, I have been kicking around the idea of sitting him another week, and making sure he would be healthy against Pittsburgh.
(01-01-2018, 12:20 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: [ -> ]

Might be worth a try.

Was that something he did in college? Considering his performance on Sunday I wouldn't expect him to be an upgrade at it.

All the rookies seemed to get tight in a meaningless game, which is weird.

Westbrook looked very good returning punts for the Jags in preseason. 

He looked bad Sunday at receiver for sure. I think it will prove to be an outlier performance by this time next season. 
(hopefully by this time next week)
He went full on alligator arms twice over the middle and later made zero effort on an off target sideline throw. Don't know if there was some "phoning it in" taking place or if he's really struggling - but it was worrisome.
These guys need to figure out the cold. Those mistakes and lack of effort are all amplified by cold weather.
i've been fairly hard on Fournette this year but I think the expectations should be extremely high for guy drafted top 5. He is obviously a very good back with pro's and con's. He'll be deadly with better blocking and a consistent passing threat.

Cam Robinson was really good early but then seemed to struggle at times. Injuries, hitting a wall, not sure. He definitely has some whiffs from time to time. If for some reason an elite level LT was available for us (draft, free agency, etc..) I dont think we should pass up the opportunity because of Cam. I dont think he at that level where you no longer look at the position.

Overall a pretty good draft class. Can always look back and say should have taken this guy or that guy, but realistically couldnt have done much better.
Is there any Jags fan who, after one season, doesn't like this draft class?
Fournette was a reach other than that a great job, Smoot is very solid on special teams also.
(01-02-2018, 01:18 AM)myrick31 Wrote: [ -> ]Fournette was a reach other than that a great job, Smoot is very solid on special teams also.
Who should they have taken at 4? Watson? He would have looked totally different not throwing to Hopkins and Fuller.

Go back and look at the players taken after Leonard. Not sure anyone, outside of maybe Adams, would have been worth the selection.

If Leonard can somehow do the same workouts Steph Curry did to strengthen his ankles, Fournette will be a 1500 yard rusher. Improve the guards and you got a very good offense.
(01-01-2018, 11:22 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]First and foremost, happy and healthy new year to all of you and your families too.

Looking back, this 2017 regular season exceeded almost all of our pre season expectations.  We have had nine straight .500 or below seasons, including several with less than five years.  Just last year (2016), we finished with a 3-13 record.  Not this year.  This year, we won the division with a 10-6 record. While looking back at the last two weeks causes some trepidation among many of us, the bottom line is we've had a level of success we haven't seen in a decade.  But what degree of contribution did we get from our rookie class?  Let's take a look.

1st round pick, 4th overall, Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU-finished the season 8th in the NFL in rushing with 1040 yards and 9 TDs, our first 1000 yard rusher since MJD in 2011.   Had an impressive start, running for 100 yards in his first game against Houston, and had long runs of 90 and 75 yards, showing breakaway ability.  However, wasn't the same since his ankle injury against the Rams, which caused him to miss two games midseason, and limited him in other games.  Furthermore, he got suspended for another game for missing a team picture.  When on his game and healthy, he is rugged and is capable of getting tough yards inside.  But he has not been the most durable, and some assert the offensive approach is better when he is not in the game.  For me, he was worth the pick, because his presence helped make Bortles a better QB by helping him not be in so many long yardage situations.  He needs to improve his pass blocking.  I think if he is healthy, he can have success on the ground against a Buffalo team ranked 29th against the run.

2nd round pick, 34th overall, Cam Robinson, T, Alabama-I had long been a fan of his, and wound up thrilled he was there for us at this point in the draft.  While in the back of my mind, I had fears he would end up like the recent class of Alabama tackles, he surpassed those fears, playing solidly for most of his 15 games.  As I recall, he gave up a sack to Orakpo in week 2, and had problems with the Bolts DEs, but generally speaking protected Bortles blind side well..  His body and Bama lineage suggests a dominant run blocker.  I wouldn't put him in the dominant category.  From what I've seen, he wouldn't collapse an entire side of a defense like Boselli.  But he seals a defender off out of a hold better than most.  I believe we hit on this pick and he will be our left tackle, and will be this franchise's best LT since Boselli.

3rd round pick, 68th overall, Dawaune Smoot, DE, Illinois-Not many, including myself, were thrilled with this pick immediately after it was made.  But he gave some quality reps throughout the season.  I've seen him chase down plays from behind, showing good pursuit and hustle.  Didn't provide too much in the pass rush, as most expected.  At this point, I'm still not sure if this pick would not have been better spent on an OL or TE, but I view this pick favorably after a season under his belt.

4th round pick, 110th overall, Dede Westbrook, WR, Oklahoma-Many of us had misgivings about this pick.  WR was not seen as a major need going into last April's draft.  Furthermore, he was a guy with considerable talent, but also considerable off field baggage.  He supposedly had domestic battery incidents, and there were pre draft reports that his interviews were disastrous.  Upon drafting him, Coughlin stressed that he would be on a very tight leash.  He started out doing well in preseason, then went on IR with a hernia surgery (?).  He was removed from IR midseason, and provided a spark to the passing game when he finally got the chance to play in a regular season game, this Tennessee game notwithstanding.  He finished the season with 27 catches for 339 yards and a TD, and no negative off field reports.  He appears he will be an asset for us.

5th round pick, 148th overall, Blair Brown, LB, Ohio- I knew nothing about him.  Copycat (iirc) was enthusiastic about the pick, being a fan/alumnus of Ohio U.  He spoke to his athletic ability, and from what I saw, he does have decent athletic ability, and seemed to play well when Telvin Smith was out.  I don't know if he will remain outside or slide inside eventually, but I think he may hang around a little more.

7th round pick, 222nd overall, Jalen Myrick, CB, Minnesota-He came in as one of the fasted DBs in the draft, and while he was embarrassed in camp by Westbrook, his speed made him worth the time to develop, and he put in some quality time in the secondary.  Furthermore, he blocked the extra point, in San Francisco that put us back in the game.  I don't want to see Colvin leave just yet, but he may.  If he does, I like the coverage Myrick provides.

7th round pick, 240th overall, Marquez Williams, FB, Miami, FL-Was beaten out by Tommy Bohanon  and was cut.  now with the Browns

UDFA Keelan Cole, WR, Kentucky Weslyan-was a star in training camp, and I kept hearing all of this buzz around him, but I withheld judgment until I saw him in action in a game, because of so many training camp phenoms who sizzled early then fizzled when the preseason lights came on.  But he never fizzled.  He showed amazing deep speed and deep threat capability but battled with some inconsistent hands. However, under Marrone's, Coughlin's, and McCardell's tutelage, he became a more reliable route runner and a more consistent catcher, and provided key impact for the team as our starters at WR went down.  He finished the year with 42 catches for 748 yards (17.8 YPC) and 3 TDs only starting 6 games.  Once the light came on for him-I want to say starting with the second Colts game-he started having huge impact on the offense, culminating in a 7-186 performance against Seattle.  I think his and Wesbrook's development makes Marqise Lee expendable this offseason, though I certainly want Lee healthy and ready to go starting Sunday.

Final analysis-As far as impact, I think this draft class was underrated by the experts and message board hacks like myself in the immediate aftermath of the draft.  We wound up getting a rugged RB in Fournette who can not only break long runs but can get the short yardage conversions that killed us so many seasons before.  We wound up getting a quality LT that should fortify that spot for years.  Smoot was a decent rotational guy, while Westbrook and Cole will be dangerous for us.  Blair Brown should get better with experience, and Myrick's speed will be an asset for us.

(01-01-2018, 11:22 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]First and foremost, happy and healthy new year to all of you and your families too.

1st round pick, 4th overall, Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU-finished the season 8th in the NFL in rushing with 1040 yards and 9 TDs, our first 1000 yard rusher since MJD in 2011.   Had an impressive start, running for 100 yards in his first game against Houston, and had long runs of 90 and 75 yards, showing breakaway ability.  However, wasn't the same since his ankle injury against the Rams, which caused him to miss two games midseason, and limited him in other games.  Furthermore, he got suspended for another game for missing a team picture.  When on his game and healthy, he is rugged and is capable of getting tough yards inside.  But he has not been the most durable, and some assert the offensive approach is better when he is not in the game.  For me, he was worth the pick, because his presence helped make Bortles a better QB by helping him not be in so many long yardage situations.  He needs to improve his pass blocking.  I think if he is healthy, he can have success on the ground against a Buffalo team ranked 29th against the run.

Excellent analysis as usual!
(01-01-2018, 11:22 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]2nd round pick, 34th overall, Cam Robinson, T, Alabama-I had long been a fan of his, and wound up thrilled he was there for us at this point in the draft.  While in the back of my mind, I had fears he would end up like the recent class of Alabama tackles, he surpassed those fears, playing solidly for most of his 15 games.  As I recall, he gave up a sack to Orakpo in week 2, and had problems with the Bolts DEs, but generally speaking protected Bortles blind side well..  His body and Bama lineage suggests a dominant run blocker.  I wouldn't put him in the dominant category.  From what I've seen, he wouldn't collapse an entire side of a defense like Boselli.  But he seals a defender off out of a hold better than most.  I believe we hit on this pick and he will be our left tackle, and will be this franchise's best LT since Boselli.
Not to mention that he played on a bum ankle for a good portion of the season.

Dude showed some grit.
Still don't agree with the pick of Fournette but he's been good all things considered. Playing 8 men in the box more than anyone and with a bum ankle for much of the year is quite hard. Should be better in 2018.

Cam Rob was a great pick. He is a legit NFL LT despite some bad weeks and mental errors. Should be starting for the next few years at very least.

Smoot was a meh pick but the more I watched him the more I liked him. He's good depth at worst but probably could have gone for a higher upside type player at R3.

Westbrook was impressive. Not just a regular speed receiver, he's a legit route runner and has strong hands. Ty Hilton lite.
(01-02-2018, 01:04 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-02-2018, 01:18 AM)myrick31 Wrote: [ -> ]Fournette was a reach other than that a great job, Smoot is very solid on special teams also.
Who should they have taken at 4? Watson? He would have looked totally different not throwing to Hopkins and Fuller.

Go back and look at the players taken after Leonard. Not sure anyone, outside of maybe Adams, would have been worth the selection.

If Leonard can somehow do the same workouts Steph Curry did to strengthen his ankles, Fournette will be a 1500 yard rusher. Improve the guards and you got a very good offense.

Hooker, Latimore or Adams.
Every pick in this draft has contributed, even if it was just a player in the rotation. The only exception is a late 7th round pick but we got an undrafted pick with massive contribution instead so all out excellent.
(01-02-2018, 06:30 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-02-2018, 01:04 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Who should they have taken at 4? Watson? He would have looked totally different not throwing to Hopkins and Fuller.

Latimore and Adams were the obvious elite talents available, and both had great rookie years.

Fournette is a great running back talent, but taking running backs at #4 overall is a luxury, and I'm not sure the Jaguars will have spent wisely when it's all said and done.

Now if he spends the next five or six seasons mostly healthy and performing like he did before the ankle injuries them I think he's a fine selection, I just doubt it happens as of now.
(01-02-2018, 04:22 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]Excellent analysis as usual!

Thank you, sir!

(01-02-2018, 06:30 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-02-2018, 01:04 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Who should they have taken at 4? Watson? He would have looked totally different not throwing to Hopkins and Fuller.

I made a post advocating for one of those guys back in the spring.

Could you imagine our secondary with Lattimore as the nickel?

Granted, I was pretty hard on Colvin when I originally posted the article, but he had an outstanding level of play this year, so I am not knocking him.

But man...Lattimore as a nickel in our defense?
Pages: 1 2