Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: What was Mickens thinking?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
At first glance, it looked like the Titan defender bump him on the punt return. But then on the replay, I see Mickens take his eye off the ball, and push into the defender.

What happened?
In my opinion, he probably thought the Titans defender was closer to him and by leaning into him, it would appear that the Titans defender was the one hitting him. The problem was that the Titans defender was further away then Mickens thought he was so it was obvious Mickens was trying to draw the contact.
The only logical explanation I could muster is that Mickens wanted to flatten the defender to allow the ball to be touched back in the endzone but failed miserably at timing his hit and judging the distance between player, endzone and ball thus resulting in this farce of a play.
(01-01-2018, 03:02 PM)CAPTAIN Wrote: [ -> ]The only logical explanation I could muster is that Mickens wanted to flatten the defender to allow the ball to be touched back in the endzone but failed miserably at timing his hit and judging the distance between player, endzone and ball thus resulting in this farce of a play.

But you can't do that if you call for a fair catch. Once you call a fair catch the receiver cannot touch another player until the ball is touched by another player.

I think the kid just screwed the pooch. It happens.
I think his peripheral vision failed him a bit and he thought the defender was a millisecond from making contact with him before the ball got there. He tried to react to defend himself and got caught overreacting to the defender's proximity - which wasn't as near as he thought it was.

Just my best guess. Horrible mistake no matter why he did it.
Mickens showed why he was on the practice squad prior
He's done that thing before, but the big difference has been when he has, he was fielding a punt inside the ten to keep te cover guy from downing the ball. I've seen him do that at least twice earlier in the season, and I thought it was a smart play both times.

I don't understand why he would do that here.
Because he's a rookie. We have seen the upside of the Jaguar rookies the past few weeks, yesterday we saw the downside.
He wants to keep living in his car.
(01-01-2018, 04:49 PM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]He's done that thing before, but the big difference has been when he has, he was fielding a punt inside the ten to keep te cover guy from downing the ball.  I've seen him do that at least twice earlier in the season, and I thought it was a smart play both times.

I don't understand why he would do that here.

He may have misjudged the kick. They were saying the wind was playing havoc on kicks.
(01-01-2018, 03:06 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-01-2018, 03:02 PM)CAPTAIN Wrote: [ -> ]The only logical explanation I could muster is that Mickens wanted to flatten the defender to allow the ball to be touched back in the endzone but failed miserably at timing his hit and judging the distance between player, endzone and ball thus resulting in this farce of a play.

But you can't do that if you call for a fair catch. Once you call a fair catch the receiver cannot touch another player until the ball is touched by another player.

I think the kid just screwed the pooch. It happens.

Tenn.   has  had  our  number  for  many  years.  Their   VOODOO  shaman  is  more  powerful  than  our's.   That's  why  Westbrook  couldn't  catch  in  Tenn.   I'm  just  kidding,   we  would  have  won  if  Westbrook  catches  his  passes,  and   BB  (Bortles)  uses  his  run  option  more  often.  We  are  going  to  beat  Buffalo,   after  that,   I  am  not  sure.
(01-01-2018, 03:11 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I think his peripheral vision failed him a bit and he thought the defender was a millisecond from making contact with him before the ball got there.  He tried to react to defend himself and got caught overreacting to the defender's proximity - which wasn't as near as he thought it was.

That was a tough one to figure out, but this makes some sense.

The bigger question is why did some other Jaguars player allow the ball to touch his foot. ...and who was that?
(01-02-2018, 07:34 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-01-2018, 03:11 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]I think his peripheral vision failed him a bit and he thought the defender was a millisecond from making contact with him before the ball got there.  He tried to react to defend himself and got caught overreacting to the defender's proximity - which wasn't as near as he thought it was.

That was a tough one to figure out, but this makes some sense.

The bigger question is why did some other Jaguars player allow the ball to touch his foot. ...and who was that?

That was Myrick. But the ball hit Mickens knee and bounced into Myrick. May not have even touched Myrick. Hard to tell.

[Image: giphy.gif]
(01-02-2018, 11:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-02-2018, 07:34 AM)Jags02 Wrote: [ -> ]That was a tough one to figure out, but this makes some sense.

That was Myrick. But the ball hit Mickens knee and bounced into Myrick. May not have even touched Myrick. Hard to tell.

It looks like he could have drawn catch interference if he had tried catching the ball instead of blocking the guy.
(01-02-2018, 09:57 PM)Predator Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-02-2018, 11:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]That was Myrick. But the ball hit Mickens knee and bounced into Myrick. May not have even touched Myrick. Hard to tell.

It looks like he could have drawn catch interference if he had tried catching the ball instead of blocking the guy.
I think you're right. 

He got flustered and lost focus.  Likely a penalty the other way if he stays clear headed.