Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Conversation I had with someone who claims he knows Blake Bortles
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I live in Nashville. Last night, the wife and I went to a restaurant to grab some food to take out. While waiting for our order, I noticed one guy wearing a Jaguars hoodie so naturally I went up to him and started talking to him to tell him I was also a Jaguars fan, etc. Just because it's Nashville and it's rare to see another Jaguars fan.

During our conversation, I told him I hope our offense gets rolling especially now in the first round of the playoffs. He gave me this look of confidence and said, "listen man, don't worry at all. Trust me, everything will be just fine."

He said he is from south Georgia originally but now he does something with concerts for Blake Shelton or some other country music artist. I can't remember his name. But this guy said he actually knows Blake Bortles too from this connection and after our Titans loss, Blake told him that "we only opened up 25% of the playbook". Now I'm not sure why Blake would have come up to Nashville right after the Titans loss because I assume that's where this guy works? Or maybe it was on the phone or maybe this guy went down to the Jacksonville area for work after the game...I didn't ask. So that part I'm not sure on.

Now I'm not saying that I believe everything I hear and that this guy might actually know Blake including that he said this. But if it's true...it's worth noting. It would go hand in hand with what NYC4Jags was mentioning about not wanting to show our full deck of cards in a Week 17 matchup that didn't mean anything.

Hopefully it is true!
I know a guy that said the Jags_r_Bake.

Cliffs: I know myself.
SpaceCoastJag travels?
I'm pretty sure he was already running 91% of the playbook.
I can buy this.
First off... why would some random dude like to another random dude about something like that... but sure, suppose the dude could be tootin his own Bortles lovin' horn....
But then secondly... look at the game plan... the plays called. Nothing new, nothing fancy, and a whole lot of runs up the middle into the teeth of a DL.

Bortles still wasn't especially sharp... and I'm not sure how much of the playbook has been closed for the whole season... I mean, only 25% OK, but did we use 100% in Santa Clara? What about week 4, how much playbook was used then?
The tape is already out there on what we do. So I'm not sure how much of the "holding the cards close to the chest" holds true, or actually does anything, outside of playing an opponent two weeks in a row or something.

But yeah... good info if true.
I've had a feeling that the team around Blake relaxed and he's actually been pressing more to make up for it.

IDK.... guess we'll see come Sunday
I knew I was going to get made fun of for posting this. That's why I even hesitated on posting it because even to me it sounded dumb and possibly very untrue.

I just figured it wouldn't hurt to post it and thought it was interesting. Sorry.
I think he got Blake Shelton and Blake Bortles confused.
I know Blake Bortles, from a friend, he said Blake is going to morph into Tom Brady.
i saw blake bortles stumbling out of the ritz bar in jax beach last night at 2 am and he said he only knows 25% of the playbook
(01-03-2018, 11:36 AM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]I knew I was going to get made fun of for posting this. That's why I even hesitated on posting it because even to me it sounded dumb and possibly very untrue.

I just figured it wouldn't hurt to post it and thought it was interesting. Sorry.

Ah no worries.. breaks the ice and helps with the bad feelings of 2 weeks of losses.
The key to beating the Bills has little to do with how much the playbook was opened against the Titans. The only thing that matters is how effective Blake is in executing. However, it will certainly be necessary to open up the playbook more to beat the Steelers again as well as the Patriots or Chiefs.
I've felt the play calling looked way more conservative since we clinched, so I could buy it. I don't trust hearsay, but it at least corresponds with my impressions of the last few weeks.
I think it's true, because every Nashville restaurant has a good chance of having a patron with a connection to a country music artist.
In theory, it makes sense. Why get all exotic in games where you've already locked yourself into a certain seeding? Go out there, and get the game over with. At the same time, why trot the starters out the ENTIRE GAME if you weren't really trying to win? I dunno...we will see Sunday
(01-03-2018, 11:36 AM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]I knew I was going to get made fun of for posting this. That's why I even hesitated on posting it because even to me it sounded dumb and possibly very untrue.

Don't let these [BLEEP] get ya down Brett!
Not much else to discuss these days between the 10,000 anti/pro Bortles stuff...
Worth a mention and at least it wasn't a  "I talked to Bortles agent...." post.
There is a lot of truth to this. I saw a guy with a colts jersey on who said he knew a guy in Jacksonville who knows a Jags fan who knew a friend who knew Blake. Said that Blake said that they'll be expanding the playbook past 25% possibly into the the 91% range.
(01-03-2018, 11:23 AM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]Blake told him that "we only opened up 25% of the playbook". Now I'm not sure why Blake would have come up to Nashville right after the Titans loss because I assume that's where this guy works? Or maybe it was on the phone or maybe this guy went down to the Jacksonville area for work after the game...I didn't ask. So that part I'm not sure on.

I believe that.  We've showed creativity when Fournette is out of the lineup so I know we actually have counter-type plays and things.

Here's an interesting story which is somewhat comparabley (and I'm being honest about this) .... I was at the Jax Airport years ago (~2005) eating at Burger King prior to going through the gate.  Mark Brunell is at the next table talking to Tim Hasselback on the phone -- the discussion was about Joe Gibbs limiting his play calling to Run Run Pass which put Brunell at a disadvantage since he was always faced with 3rd and 7 or 8.   My point is that coaches are married to a system rather than going with a lesser used play that may prove to be a better play for the immediate drive.
I see where this thread is going, and I am 91% sure that 25% of the playbook is not enough to CORN or BLANK#2. Only a FULLY consistent True fan could tell us tho.

On a more serious note we were already suspecting they dumbed down the playbook after we clinched. I already thought what this guy was saying, so I believe it.
You were eating at Publix?
(01-03-2018, 01:09 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-03-2018, 11:23 AM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]Blake told him that "we only opened up 25% of the playbook". Now I'm not sure why Blake would have come up to Nashville right after the Titans loss because I assume that's where this guy works? Or maybe it was on the phone or maybe this guy went down to the Jacksonville area for work after the game...I didn't ask. So that part I'm not sure on.

I believe that.  We've showed creativity when Fournette is out of the lineup so I know we actually have counter-type plays and things.

Here's an interesting story which is somewhat comparabley (and I'm being honest about this) .... I was at the Jax Airport years ago (~2005) eating at Burger King prior to going through the gate.  Mark Brunell is at the next table talking to Tim Hasselback on the phone -- the discussion was about Joe Gibbs limiting his play calling to Run Run Pass which put Brunell at a disadvantage since he was always faced with 3rd and 7 or 8.   My point is that coaches are married to a system rather than going with a lesser used play that may prove to be a better play for the immediate drive.

This whole thing is WAYYYY overblown.  Am I the only one that saw the seahawks game?  

Fournette had 24 carries for 101 yards and a TD AND Hackett was creative in the playcalling. The two are NOT mutually exclusive.  They passed more than they ran in the first half in that game by a wide margin in fact. Then they were balanced in the 3rd quarter and took a big lead that included a deep bomb to Cole. 

I'd expect Hackett to be similarly creative vs Buffalo to jump out to an early lead and let the defense eat. 

The past two games have been conservatively called and the nashville game was clearly called that way intentionally. 
Even the run game was watered down in Nashville.  You saw almost zero pulling guards or TEs - very little lead blocking from the FB, etc. 
 They just went with the basics. That will change Sunday, and Hackett will try to keep the defense guessing.

(regardless of fan anecdotes at restaurants and their likelihood of being accurate - the playbook was clearly limited last week)
Pages: 1 2 3 4