Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: DJIA Hits 25K
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
DJIA passed 25K today. Lets see where it ends up. Amazing.
(01-04-2018, 10:40 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]DJIA passed 25K today. Lets see where it ends up. Amazing.

Again, the concept of using 30 cherry-picked stocks to gauge the entire economy is just stupid. [BLEEP] stupid, and that's before we get to the part about how stocks are kicked off of the exchange frequently so the DJIA can artificially climb or fall to suit the whims of those running it.

All the DJIA tells you is how much richer the rich are today, and how many companies need to fire X number of people to bring their stock price back up before they're expelled from the party.

Keep that in mind when using the DJIA as a measure of economic health: one of the easiest ways for a company to raise its stock price is to lay off a large number of employees. Anyone who doesn't see through that is either willfully ignorant, totally uneducated in the ways of the stock market, or just not paying attention.
(01-04-2018, 11:43 AM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2018, 10:40 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]DJIA passed 25K today. Lets see where it ends up. Amazing.

Again, the concept of using 30 cherry-picked stocks to gauge the entire economy is just stupid. [BLEEP] stupid, and that's before we get to the part about how stocks are kicked off of the exchange frequently so the DJIA can artificially climb or fall to suit the whims of those running it.

All the DJIA tells you is how much richer the rich are today, and how many companies need to fire X number of people to bring their stock price back up before they're expelled from the party.

Keep that in mind when using the DJIA as a measure of economic health: one of the easiest ways for a company to raise its stock price is to lay off a large number of employees. Anyone who doesn't see through that is either willfully ignorant, totally uneducated in the ways of the stock market, or just not paying attention.

You do realize that anybody with an investment account whether it be Warren Buffett or Johnny who puts 4% in his 401(k) with company match are benefiting from this market, right?

I know CNN wants to paint the picture that only the rich are getting richer, but this simply isn't true.
(01-04-2018, 12:20 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2018, 11:43 AM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]Again, the concept of using 30 cherry-picked stocks to gauge the entire economy is just stupid. [BLEEP] stupid, and that's before we get to the part about how stocks are kicked off of the exchange frequently so the DJIA can artificially climb or fall to suit the whims of those running it.

You do realize that anybody with an investment account whether it be Warren Buffett or Johnny who puts 4% in his 401(k) with company match are benefiting from this market, right?

I know CNN wants to paint the picture that only the rich are getting richer, but this simply isn't true.

30 cherry-picked companies.

You're basing the health of the economy on 30 cherry-picked companies.
(01-04-2018, 12:20 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]You do realize that anybody with an investment account whether it be Warren Buffett or Johnny who puts 4% in his 401(k) with company match are benefiting from this market, right?

Speaking of 401k, I actually hard coated our 401K investment from the 6/23/2016 Brexit Day and I do agree that ANYONE that has the sense to contribute 401k up to the company matching portion is getting very healthy off of the Dow.  Unfortunately, there are still some companies don't match and/or employees are still reluctant to see the value in contributing (tie up their cash) in such a manner.
(01-04-2018, 01:36 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2018, 12:20 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]You do realize that anybody with an investment account whether it be Warren Buffett or Johnny who puts 4% in his 401(k) with company match are benefiting from this market, right?

Speaking of 401k, I actually hard coated our 401K investment from the 6/23/2016 Brexit Day and I do agree that ANYONE that has the sense to contribute 401k up to the company matching portion is getting very healthy off of the Dow.  Unfortunately, there are still some companies don't match and/or employees are still reluctant to see the value in contributing (tie up their cash) in such a manner.

A company not matching isn't an excuse to not save for retirement. That is the individuals fault.

I was simply combating TJBender's point that only rich people are benefiting from this market which is simply a big fat lie.
If anyone claims that this isn't a Trump economy, they're lying to themselves
(01-04-2018, 03:19 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2018, 01:36 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Speaking of 401k, I actually hard coated our 401K investment from the 6/23/2016 Brexit Day and I do agree that ANYONE that has the sense to contribute 401k up to the company matching portion is getting very healthy off of the Dow.  Unfortunately, there are still some companies don't match and/or employees are still reluctant to see the value in contributing (tie up their cash) in such a manner.

A company not matching isn't an excuse to not save for retirement. That is the individuals fault.

I was simply combating TJBender's point that only rich people are benefiting from this market which is simply a big fat lie.

While I agree to a certain extent, there is much less incentive for Joey Smith to tie up 3% of his income per year in an account that he only gets penalized 10% if he wants to withdraw prior to age 59 and one-half.  If that were the case for me, I'd probably take my chances and trade freely on the stock exchange where I have full access to my investments without the risk of penalty if I want to cash out and invest elsewhere such as the housing market, etc.

... and yes, I agreed that it's not only the rich getting richer.  Although, the rich in my opinion are benefiting from the DOW to a greater monetary extent since they most likely are investing at a greater rate (e.g. the $150k/year employee who invests 3% of their salary into 401k is benefiting greater than the $75k/year employee investing 3% of their salary into 401k).  The good news for people that decided to hide their $875 savings under their mattress is that if the market crashes, they have nothing to lose.
(01-04-2018, 06:06 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]

While I agree to a certain extent, there is much less incentive for Joey Smith to tie up 3% of his income per year in an account that he only gets penalized 10% if he wants to withdraw prior to age 59 and one-half.  If that were the case for me, I'd probably take my chances and trade freely on the stock exchange where I have full access to my investments without the risk of penalty if I want to cash out and invest elsewhere such as the housing market, etc.

... and yes, I agreed that it's not only the rich getting richer.  Although, the rich in my opinion are benefiting to a greater monetary extent.

Well, that is Joey's prerogative. The main thing is that Joseph recognizes he has to save for retirement, so whether that be a 401(k) or dabbling in the market, that is his call. He always has social security to fall back on, but will need to make serious lifestyle changes to live off of it.
(01-04-2018, 06:10 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]Well, that is Joey's prerogative. The main thing is that Joseph recognizes he has to save for retirement, so whether that be a 401(k) or dabbling in the market, that is his call. He always has social security to fall back on, but will need to make serious lifestyle changes to live off of it.

Joey needs to go GLBT ?
(01-04-2018, 11:43 AM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]

That's complete nonsense.   You really need to educate yourself better if you believe that.
The company that I work for doesn't match 401k contributions and their choices of investments is extremely limited.  Instead, my wife and I both have a traditional and a Roth IRA that we max out every year.  The bulk of my investments are ETF's though at times I do dabble in individual stocks and some REITS.
(01-04-2018, 01:36 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Speaking of 401k, I actually hard coated our 401K investment from the 6/23/2016 Brexit Day and I do agree that ANYONE that has the sense to contribute 401k up to the company matching portion is getting very healthy off of the Dow.  Unfortunately, there are still some companies don't match and/or employees are still reluctant to see the value in contributing (tie up their cash) in such a manner.

Companies artificially raise their stock prices by firing large numbers of employees. These actions benefit the major stakeholders, typically the high-priced executives and board members, and screw the rank and file.

My issue is not with the stock market. It's with this longstanding insistence upon using an easily-manipulated number derived from 30 cherry-picked companies that can be dropped for underperforming. And what's the fastest way for an underperforming company to raise its stock price?

Fire a few thousand little people just like you and me.
(01-04-2018, 07:50 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2018, 03:19 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]A company not matching isn't an excuse to not save for retirement. That is the individuals fault.

Companies artificially raise their stock prices by firing large numbers of employees. These actions benefit the major stakeholders, typically the high-priced executives and board members, and screw the rank and file.

My issue is not with the stock market. It's with this longstanding insistence upon using an easily-manipulated number derived from 30 cherry-picked companies that can be dropped for underperforming. And what's the fastest way for an underperforming company to raise its stock price?

Companies artificially raise their stock prices by firing large numbers of employees?  Where in the world do you get that idea?  That statement reflects complete ignorance of what the stock market is and how it works.  Amazingly ignorant.

Do you know what a share of stock is, and how a stock is valued by the market?  What would induce someone to buy a share of stock?  What causes a stock price to go up or down?  You should start with those questions.  You have the internet in front of you.  Educate yourself.  Please!
(01-05-2018, 10:18 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2018, 07:50 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]Companies artificially raise their stock prices by firing large numbers of employees. These actions benefit the major stakeholders, typically the high-priced executives and board members, and screw the rank and file.

Companies artificially raise their stock prices by firing large numbers of employees?  Where in the world do you get that idea?  That statement reflects complete ignorance of what the stock market is and how it works.  Amazingly ignorant.

Do you know what a share of stock is, and how a stock is valued by the market?  What would induce someone to buy a share of stock?  What causes a stock price to go up or down?  You should start with those questions.  You have the internet in front of you.  Educate yourself.  Please!

Don't be so hard on TJ. He is just mirroring what the MSM is telling him in order to make people think only the 1% are capitalizing off the current market situation. You don't know what you don't know.
(01-04-2018, 07:50 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2018, 03:19 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: [ -> ]A company not matching isn't an excuse to not save for retirement. That is the individuals fault.

The stock price reaction depends on whether the layoff is a sign of trouble or sign of restructuring to improve the company. Price would fall if investors perceive that the layoff is a sign of distress. However, price would rise if the investors perceive that the firm shedding excess capacity or is changing the business model for the better.
(01-04-2018, 07:50 PM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]Companies artificially raise their stock prices by firing large numbers of employees. These actions benefit the major stakeholders, typically the high-priced executives and board members, and screw the rank and file.

Sears just announced that they are closing more stores (ie., laying off a large number of employees).  I wonder how their stock is doing?
Bad news people. The market only went up 220 points today.

I am sure the middle class is overly anxious to elect a bunch of democrats in 2018 and interrupt this historic pace.
(01-05-2018, 04:30 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: [ -> ]

Sears just announced that they are closing more stores (ie., laying of a large number of employees).  I wonder how their stock is doing?

Terrible lol
less than 4 bucks a share.
down 6 bucks a share over the last year
and down .10 just today 

But hey... it should spike soon... right?

right?
Pages: 1 2