Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Sessions terminates US policy that let legal pot flourish
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Sessions terminates US policy that let legal pot flourish

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration threw the nation’s burgeoning movement to legalize marijuana into uncertainty Thursday, terminating an Obama-era leniency policy that kept federal authorities from cracking down in states that have declared it legal. Prosecutors can now go after the pot trade whenever state and federal drug laws collide, Attorney General Jeff Sessions declared.

https://apnews.com/19f6bfec15a74733b40eaf0ff9162bfa
Some of those weed-related stocks took a plunge today. I don’t think this’ll change much. Sessions hasn’t exactly done much of anything since getting into office
Cry
The Colorado River is full of tears today. Everyone OUT of the Grand Canyon!
Sessions is as effective as a torn condom at a brothel. I have little doubt that this effort on his part to stop the reefer madness will go nowhere.

Also, state attorneys are already giving him the finger. Or blowing smoke at him, whichever.
Unnecessary move. I don't get it.
(01-04-2018, 07:54 PM)Last42min Wrote: [ -> ]Unnecessary move. I don't get it.

California peed in his Kool-Aid
Sessions is a waste. He's a useless as teets on a boar hog. I never realized how much he looks like Mr. Mackey from South Park.

[Image: cd2ca6aa125fa216725014ba5825799bd954ea30...766560.jpg]
Yeah. I have a theory that the tax plan was designed to hurt wealthy liberals. If California can offset some of their tax burden by legalizing pot, it won't have the desired effect, namely, penalizing rich liberals. I try to be careful with my speculations, because I don't think of Trump as some forward-thinking, political wizard. Resentment is the most likely cause. It's hard for me to not look for a rational reason for policy, though.

Unfortunately it was necessary. This is just one of many cases where the Trump administration rescinded a policy that Obama and/or his staff put forth illegally without congressional approval. Laws need to be passed (and repealed) by congress.

Hopefully this puts pressure on congress to repeal the federal ban on marijuana. This is not Pub vs. Dem (note that the Dem majority in 2009 never addressed this), or Conservative vs. Progressive, this is Authoritarian vs. Libertarian. It's a stupid law that needs to be repealed, but it needs to be done through the method spelled out in the Constitution.
(01-04-2018, 11:59 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]

Unfortunately it was necessary. This is just one of many cases where the Trump administration rescinded a policy that Obama and/or his staff put forth illegally without congressional approval. Laws need to be passed (and repealed) by congress.

Hopefully this puts pressure on congress to repeal the federal ban on marijuana. This is not Pub vs. Dem (note that the Dem majority in 2009 never addressed this), or Conservative vs. Progressive, this is Authoritarian vs. Libertarian. It's a stupid law that needs to be repealed, but it needs to be done through the method spelled out in the Constitution.

And we both know that's not why Sessions is doing this.
(01-05-2018, 12:38 AM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2018, 11:59 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately it was necessary. This is just one of many cases where the Trump administration rescinded a policy that Obama and/or his staff put forth illegally without congressional approval. Laws need to be passed (and repealed) by congress.

It's a good move to force HR 1227, a Republican bill btw, out of committee this year.
Insane that the federal government would want to limit (eliminate) the tax income of state legalized recreational and medicinal marijuana.

Sessions was one of the few when Trump started naming his guys for positions that I didn't like. I was hopeful, despite being vocal about anti-pot, that they wouldn't attack this.

Here's hoping we can get congress to see that we need reform and at the federal level this doesn't need to be an issue. It should be left to the states.
Drop marijuana off the schedule 1 drug list. It's ridiculous.
"Good people don't smoke marijuana."

Jeff Sessions
(01-05-2018, 03:58 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]"Good people don't smoke marijuana."

Jeff Sessions

Is that a legit quote?
Geebus Chriminy....

What an idiot...
From Bill Gates... to Mike Bloomberg... to nobody special single moms trying to relax at the end of the day, there are tons of examples of good people who smoke marijuana responsibly.
(01-05-2018, 03:58 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]"Good people don't smoke marijuana."

Jeff Sessions

"Good people don't have to recuse themselves from investigations because they've had undisclosed, inappropriate contact with foreign officials."

Me
(01-04-2018, 08:04 PM)Last42min Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah. I have a theory that the tax plan was designed to hurt wealthy liberals. If California can offset some of their tax burden by legalizing pot, it won't have the desired effect, namely, penalizing rich liberals. I try to be careful with my speculations, because I don't think of Trump as some forward-thinking, political wizard. Resentment is the most likely cause. It's hard for me to not look for a rational reason for policy, though.

Its is so ironic that the left complains that the tax cuts don't help the 'middle' class with their cap on state taxs at 10k. Only someone in a very high income bracket/property tax bracket pays that much. Its the 'rich' paying their fair share. Just what they wanted right?

(01-05-2018, 12:38 AM)TJBender Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2018, 11:59 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]Unfortunately it was necessary. This is just one of many cases where the Trump administration rescinded a policy that Obama and/or his staff put forth illegally without congressional approval. Laws need to be passed (and repealed) by congress.

Agree, he is a huge believer in the war on drugs. And frankly, that didn't work. One needs only look at Portugal to see there are other better ways to tackle drug addiction and traffic.
(01-04-2018, 11:59 PM)MalabarJag Wrote: [ -> ]

You mean like the one where it mandated ICE not to investigate, nor detain illegal immigrants. That's what they are. Many, many people still do it the proper, lawful way.
(01-05-2018, 04:14 PM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]

Jeff Sessions

Is that a legit quote?
Geebus Chriminy....

What an idiot...
From Bill Gates... to Mike Bloomberg... to nobody special single moms trying to relax at the end of the day, there are tons of examples of good people who smoke marijuana responsibly.

Yes, that is a legitimate quote. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=jeff+ses...irefox-b-1
I think the whole thing just goes to show, political principles like "states' rights" and "local control" only go so far.

"Let's leave it up to the states" is what they all say, unless of course, the states are going to do something they don't like.
(01-06-2018, 08:00 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]I think the whole thing just goes to show, political principles like "states' rights" and "local control" only go so far.  

"Let's leave it up to the states" is what they all say, unless of course, the states are going to do something they don't like.

It absolutely should be a state's right issue, but several Supreme Court rulings that massively expanded the scope of the commerce clause have overturned the intent of the Constitution and given control to the Federal government on matters like this. So right now the only way to give this issue back to the states is for Congress to pass a bill that eliminates the existing anti-pot law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wickard_v._Filburn
Pages: 1 2