Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: This Week in the AFC South-Wildcard Weekend
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Even though the Regular season ended last weekend, life goes on the the AFC South.  The 2017 AFC South Champion Jacksonville Jaguars made the post season for the first time since the 2007 season, and will host our first playoff game since 1999.  The loathsome and detestable second place tacks made the postseason for the first time since 2008.  In Houston, it appears circumstances have dictated the winner in the dysfunctional power struggle between Texans' coach Bill O'Brien and GM Rick Smith.  Smith is taking a leave of absence to take care of his wife, who was diagnosed with cancer.  It remains to be seen who will take his place, but maintain that Texans fans have vastly underrated Smith as a GM.  Finally in Indy, the search continues for the replacement for former head coach Chuck Pagano.  Texans defensive coordinator Mike Vrabel is among the names linked to that position.

Prediction wise, I made zero progress from last year, as my record was identical to last year's pace.  But I can stomach that if it means my Jaguars have made progress.

Here are my picks:

tacks (9-7) at Chiefs (10-6)-The tacks survived another late season collapse to sneak into the playoffs as the 5th seed to face the Chiefs, who had a weird season.  They started off like a Super Bowl contender, thumping the AFC's#1 seed Patriots in New England and the NFC's #1 seed Eagles and won their first five games, then lost sex out of their next seven before finally righting the ship in time to win their last four and win the AFC West.  At face value, this would seem like a KC walk.  Chiefs QB Alex Smith had his best season from a yardage and TD-INT perspective.  They traditionally have one of the strongest home field advantages in football at Arrowhead stadium.  They have a balanced and diverse offensive attack with leading rusher and rookie Hunt, a good TE in Travis Kelce, and speed to burn with Tyreek Hill.  It makes you wonder if Tennessee's pedestrian offense can keep up.  tacks QB Marcus Mariota has taken a step back in production this year, and people are questioning whether he can be a franchise signal caller.  But this is a game that Tennessee can keep close.  Tennessee can win if they can pound the ball with Derrick Henry, and KC isn't that good defending the run or defensively overall.  If the game comes down to coaching, it's a huge edge to the Chiefs, with the accomplished Andy Reid on their sidelines.  To put Tennessee's coaching in perspective, rumors circulated that if they lost last week, Mularkey would be out.  The rumors persist that a loss to KC would mean the end of Mularkey's tenure in Tennessee.  Furthermore, Titans TE Delanie Walker said that Mariota has to "overcome coaching."  Maybe that was a matter of awkward phrasing, but at face value, that does not sound good.  I think KC jumps out to an early lead and wins 27-17.

Bills (9-7) at Jaguars (10-6)-Buffalo had all of the teams lost they needed to lose to get into the playoffs, breaking their 17 year playoff drought.  Ya gotta hand it to the Bills and their fans.  In appreciation for the Bengals last minute heroics, they poured thousands of dollars into a charity associated with Bengals QB Andy Dalton, a pop warner league associated with Bengals WR Tyler Boyd, and the team supposedly sent some 1500 wings from one of Buffalo's top wing restaurants to the Bengals.  All of that good will notwithstanding, I don't think their stay in the post season will be long.  Buffalo's one shot to win is forcing Bortles into INTs with a ball hawking secondary.  But this game doesn't seem like it will play out that way.  Pressure creates turnovers, and the Bills don't get many sacks, and the Jaguars haven't given up many sacks.  Jacksonville loves to pound the football down other teams throats.  Buffalo is one of the league's worst at stopping the run, especially since trading DT Marcell Dareus to the Jaguars.  If these things hold true, then Bortles should not be in a position where he has to perform the heroic to win.  Jacksonville has one of the league's best defenses, especially against the pass.  They were 2nd in the league in sacks with 55 after leading the league most of the year and has two of the best CBs in football in Jalen Ramsey and A.J. Bouye.    Their run defense improved considerably when Dareus came into the fold.  Dareus is now starting at DT.  Bills fans-and coach McDermott, for that matter-were dissatisfied with QB Tyrod Taylor, and he faces that defense with a gimpy Shady McCoy at RB and little to no speed at WR.  Jaguars win 20-10. DISCLAIMER: I assert I did NOT see this article when making my prediction for the game, nor did I use it as a basis for my prediction. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...k-off-rams"

Last Week:  1-1
Overall: 32-20 

Imported from last week's thread...

Handsome Rob predicts "Well if a new official thread isn't up, I am going Jags and Chiefs."

Kodiak Jag and UNF Nashvillian have Bills and Chiefs
D6: KC and Jaguars
One thing I will say: if Jacksonville and Buffalo handle these offseasons right, they will be the powers in the AFC for a while.

Brady and Big Ben won't be around forever.
Jaguars
Chiefs
Jaguars over Bills - 27-7

Chiefs over Titans 21- 13
1-1 last week
39-13 overall

Bills over Jaguars 17-14
Chiefs over Titans 24-16
(01-05-2018, 12:31 PM)unf_nashvillian Wrote: [ -> ]1-1 last week
39-13 overall

Bills over Jaguars 17-14
Chiefs over Titans 24-16

You have been on fire with your picks so you saying we will lose to the Bills makes me very nervous...
(01-05-2018, 12:39 PM)Brett Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-05-2018, 12:31 PM)unf_nashvillian Wrote: [ -> ]1-1 last week
39-13 overall

Bills over Jaguars 17-14
Chiefs over Titans 24-16

You have been on fire with your picks so you saying we will lose to the Bills makes me very nervous...

Titans and Jags both have some work to do before they're consistently competitive.  Next year should be a lot of fun as I expect both to improve even more.  I'd love to see the Titans and Jags both win, but I just don't see it.
(01-05-2018, 09:28 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Even though the Regular season ended last weekend, life goes on the the AFC South.  The 2017 AFC South Champion Jacksonville Jaguars made the post season for the first time since the 2007 season, and will host our first playoff game since 1999.  The loathsome and detestable second place tacks made the postseason for the first time since 2008.  In Houston, it appears circumstances have dictated the winner in the dysfunctional power struggle between Texans' coach Bill O'Brien and GM Rick Smith.  Smith is taking a leave of absence to take care of his wife, who was diagnosed with cancer.  It remains to be seen who will take his place, but maintain that Texans fans have vastly underrated Smith as a GM.  Finally in Indy, the search continues for the replacement for former head coach Chuck Pagano.  Texans defensive coordinator Mike Vrabel is among the names linked to that position.

Prediction wise, I made zero progress from last year, as my record was identical to last year's pace.  But I can stomach that if it means my Jaguars have made progress.

Here are my picks:

tacks (9-7) at Chiefs (10-6)-The tacks survived another late season collapse to sneak into the playoffs as the 5th seed to face the Chiefs, who had a weird season.  They started off like a Super Bowl contender, thumping the AFC's#1 seed Patriots in New England and the NFC's #1 seed Eagles and won their first five games, then lost sex out of their next seven before finally righting the ship in time to win their last four and win the AFC West.  At face value, this would seem like a KC walk.  Chiefs QB Alex Smith had his best season from a yardage and TD-INT perspective.  They traditionally have one of the strongest home field advantages in football at Arrowhead stadium.  They have a balanced and diverse offensive attack with leading rusher and rookie Hunt, a good TE in Travis Kelce, and speed to burn with Tyreek Hill.  It makes you wonder if Tennessee's pedestrian offense can keep up.  tacks QB Marcus Mariota has taken a step back in production this year, and people are questioning whether he can be a franchise signal caller.  But this is a game that Tennessee can keep close.  Tennessee can win if they can pound the ball with Derrick Henry, and KC isn't that good defending the run or defensively overall.  If the game comes down to coaching, it's a huge edge to the Chiefs, with the accomplished Andy Reid on their sidelines.  To put Tennessee's coaching in perspective, rumors circulated that if they lost last week, Mularkey would be out.  The rumors persist that a loss to KC would mean the end of Mularkey's tenure in Tennessee.  Furthermore, Titans TE Delanie Walker said that Mariota has to "overcome coaching."  Maybe that was a matter of awkward phrasing, but at face value, that does not sound good.  I think KC jumps out to an early lead and wins 27-17.

Bills (9-7) at Jaguars (10-6)-Buffalo had all of the teams lost they needed to lose to get into the playoffs, breaking their 17 year playoff drought.  Ya gotta hand it to the Bills and their fans.  In appreciation for the Bengals last minute heroics, they poured thousands of dollars into a charity associated with Bengals QB Andy Dalton, a pop warner league associated with Bengals WR Tyler Boyd, and the team supposedly sent some 1500 wings from one of Buffalo's top wing restaurants to the Bengals.  All of that good will notwithstanding, I don't think their stay in the post season will be long.  Buffalo's one shot to win is forcing Bortles into INTs with a ball hawking secondary.  But this game doesn't seem like it will play out that way.  Pressure creates turnovers, and the Bills don't get many sacks, and the Jaguars haven't given up many sacks.  Jacksonville loves to pound the football down other teams throats.  Buffalo is one of the league's worst at stopping the run, especially since trading DT Marcell Dareus to the Jaguars.  If these things hold true, then Bortles should not be in a position where he has to perform the heroic to win.  Jacksonville has one of the league's best defenses, especially against the pass.  They were 2nd in the league in sacks with 55 after leading the league most of the year and has two of the best CBs in football in Jalen Ramsey and A.J. Bouye.    Their run defense improved considerably when Dareus came into the fold.  Dareus is now starting at DT.  Bills fans-and coach McDermott, for that matter-were dissatisfied with QB Tyrod Taylor, and he faces that defense with a gimpy Shady McCoy at RB and little to no speed at WR.  Jaguars win 20-10.  DISCLAIMER:  I assert I did NOT see this article when making my prediction for the game, nor did I use it as a basis for my prediction.  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...k-off-rams"

Handsome Rob predicts "Well if a new official thread isn't up, I am going Jags and Chiefs."

Kodiak Jag and UNF Nashvillian  have Bills and Chiefs
Classy guy bringing those quotes over, +1 from me!

Jags chiefs are still the pick
26-8 overall and my season worst 0-2 last week, time for redemption.
I'll go chiefs and bills.

Bad Blake has been too bad these last few weeks for me to ignore. Could be a real mood killer on the season if he doesn't straighten up and ends the season in a rash of INTs and losses to lower quality opponents.

The titans I just don't think are very good, and while they've been lucky for a lot of the season I think the chiefs can probably handle them this weekend since they're the team with the veteran QB.
Last week: 0-2 (forgot to play)

Overall: 39-13

Jaguars

Chiefs
Man, I really want us to win this one, and we should, but I'm just not feeling enthusiastic atm.

Bad Blake has shown up the last few games.  Who knows if Good Blake will be back this week or not?
Lots of questions on our D as well, and we've been cooling off since the SF game.
Is Fournette's injury worse than is being portrayed?
We'll be rolling with 2 rookie starting receivers...again.
Marrone's in-game coaching might have a factor in this, and if it does we will more than likely be hurt by it.

I can see us losing and everyone who thought we would win will be lulled into this "well, we never expected to get to the playoffs anyway" mindset.

Going with my gut over my heart this week.

Chiefs over Titans
Bills over Jaguars

Oh, and 1-1 last week & 35-17 overall.
Chiefs and Jags

1-1 last week
35-17 overall
Bullseye i made my wild card picks in the week 17 post. they were made at 8:10am this morning. will you please look at that,and count them here. they were both made before the games. thank you very much. I put this weeks picks in week 17.
I made my picks yesterday,rxcept in the afc south week 17. i didn't see this until last night. in this post are my picks,

https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.php?tid=26257
(01-05-2018, 01:01 PM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-05-2018, 09:28 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]Even though the Regular season ended last weekend, life goes on the the AFC South.  The 2017 AFC South Champion Jacksonville Jaguars made the post season for the first time since the 2007 season, and will host our first playoff game since 1999.  The loathsome and detestable second place tacks made the postseason for the first time since 2008.  In Houston, it appears circumstances have dictated the winner in the dysfunctional power struggle between Texans' coach Bill O'Brien and GM Rick Smith.  Smith is taking a leave of absence to take care of his wife, who was diagnosed with cancer.  It remains to be seen who will take his place, but maintain that Texans fans have vastly underrated Smith as a GM.  Finally in Indy, the search continues for the replacement for former head coach Chuck Pagano.  Texans defensive coordinator Mike Vrabel is among the names linked to that position.

Here are my picks:

Bills (9-7) at Jaguars (10-6)-Buffalo had all of the teams lost they needed to lose to get into the playoffs, breaking their 17 year playoff drought.  Ya gotta hand it to the Bills and their fans.  In appreciation for the Bengals last minute heroics, they poured thousands of dollars into a charity associated with Bengals QB Andy Dalton, a pop warner league associated with Bengals WR Tyler Boyd, and the team supposedly sent some 1500 wings from one of Buffalo's top wing restaurants to the Bengals.  All of that good will notwithstanding, I don't think their stay in the post season will be long.  Buffalo's one shot to win is forcing Bortles into INTs with a ball hawking secondary.  But this game doesn't seem like it will play out that way.  Pressure creates turnovers, and the Bills don't get many sacks, and the Jaguars haven't given up many sacks.  Jacksonville loves to pound the football down other teams throats.  Buffalo is one of the league's worst at stopping the run, especially since trading DT Marcell Dareus to the Jaguars.  If these things hold true, then Bortles should not be in a position where he has to perform the heroic to win.  Jacksonville has one of the league's best defenses, especially against the pass.  They were 2nd in the league in sacks with 55 after leading the league most of the year and has two of the best CBs in football in Jalen Ramsey and A.J. Bouye.    Their run defense improved considerably when Dareus came into the fold.  Dareus is now starting at DT.  Bills fans-and coach McDermott, for that matter-were dissatisfied with QB Tyrod Taylor, and he faces that defense with a gimpy Shady McCoy at RB and little to no speed at WR.  Jaguars win 20-10.  DISCLAIMER:  I assert I did NOT see this article when making my prediction for the game, nor did I use it as a basis for my prediction.  http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...k-off-rams"

Kodiak Jag and UNF Nashvillian  have Bills and Chiefs
Classy guy bringing those quotes over, +1 from me!

Jags chiefs are still the pick
26-8 overall and my season worst 0-2 last week, time for redemption.
1-1 But I got the one that mattered! 27-9!
2-0 this week 33-14 overall. I made my picks yesterday morning. they are here.

https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.ph...257&page=2
1-1 this week. Chiefs blowing a 21-3 lead at home?!?

Ugh!
Half of the AFC field still left is from the AFC South. I guess the division is no longer at the bottom of the league.
(01-07-2018, 08:40 PM)14and3 Wrote: [ -> ]Half of the AFC field still left is from the AFC South. I guess the division is no longer at the bottom of the league.

No. Just you fools.
Pages: 1 2